Home Theatre Speakers

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Home Theatre Speakers

Post by baloo » 18th Feb, '10, 13:37

I'm looking at getting some satellite home theatre speakers. The B&W 6 Series I have are brilliant (DM 602 rear, DM 604 front, LCR6 centre) but they aren't coping with having young kids in the house who take a lot of joy out of trying to take the covers off them and experiment with them.

Does anyone have any recommendations ? I like the look of the Energy RC-Micro 5.1 speakers but the listed Singapore dealer isn't carrying them. I'm looking for something that easy to wall mount to keep out of the way of prying fingers.

Also, once I get the tweeters repaired (they are now concave but still sound ok), I'm going to sadly sell the B&Ws if anyone is interested... :cry:
Last edited by baloo on 18th Feb, '10, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Re: Home Theatre Speakers

Post by Fresh Mint » 19th Feb, '10, 12:39

Is wall mounting not an option?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Feb, '10, 12:52

Nope

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 19th Feb, '10, 13:14

You know what they say about men with big speakers, don't you?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Feb, '10, 13:24

They can make women tingle all over without even touching them ?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 19th Feb, '10, 13:29

LOL! If it makes you happy.........

scubasteve
Lurker
Mood: hungover

Post by scubasteve » 19th Feb, '10, 18:06

Baloo,

Whats your budget? I had the same setup until recently and it was sensational. I think you will find it really hard to get wall mounted speakers that sound good as the floor standing 604 fronts and stand mount 602 rears.

If you can stretch to a few thousand, the B&W m30 kit is very good and much more kid friendly. you can wall mount and it does look bloody nice.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display ... 1480&sc=ht

I got a bit silly and went for the B&W 800 series in the end and simply told the kids i would remove a digit every time they touched my speakers. They learned after the loss of the little finger :)

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Feb, '10, 18:31

ooohhhh, 800 series, very nice.

I've decided not to spend too much on the new speakers mainly because I know no matter what wall mount I get, they'll only be a shadow of what I have, and if they aren't too expensive I'll have an easier time upgrading back to floor speakers when the kids understand that touching them will seriously curtail their life expectancy.

I'm aiming for 1k to 1.5k for a 5.1 setup. Choice is limited and prices in this country seem more expensive than I can understand, but the hunt is on.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 19th Feb, '10, 18:37

OK, you're all way more high-end than me (only when it comes to gadgets, gentlemen), but I could do with your advice.

Since we moved into a house with a projector mount and screen in the basement, I bought Mr Crom a digital projector for Christmas to turn it into a cinema. However, I didn't realise that you have to be really exact about the distance between projector and screen, and it's a fairly large room, so it turns out that we can't use the ceiling mount, but need to have it in the middle of the room instead, otherwise the picture is too big for the screen.

That's not a problem, but the sound has become a bit of an issue. With two small children, and while also using the room as a library/study on a daily basis, we can't have lots of wires running around the floor.

Ideally what I'd like is just to be able to buy an amp with a couple of small wireless speakers that I can stick in the bookshelves that line both walls. I guess we'd need a big one too, but as long as it's just one wire, I can work around that.

I'm not a purist and I'm not looking to recreate cinema-quality surround sound or anything. I just want one that is idiot-proof, reasonably priced (ie, under 300 euros?), doesn't sound totally crap and doesn't turn the room into an assault course.

Possible?

Does it exist?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 19th Feb, '10, 19:48

crom: There are no true wireless systems. You either need a wire from the amp to the speaker in a traditional set up, or you need a wire from the power socket to the speaker (otherwise you'll hear nothing).

We had a conversation on this recently: [url=http://singapore-forum&#46com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4123&p=68002&hilit=wireless+speakers#p68002]Wireless speaker systems[/url]

Have a read, feel free to ask more!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 20th Feb, '10, 07:44

What about one of those bar speakers that sits under the TV and does virtual surround sound. Is that good enough?

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 20th Feb, '10, 13:13

Scummy Mummy wrote:What about one of those bar speakers that sits under the TV and does virtual surround sound. Is that good enough?
We bought two Philips Soundbars, including the stand for the soundbar and TV, on clearance [url=http://singapore-forum&#46com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54&p=47640&hilit=philips+sound+bars#p47640]last year[/url]. Fantastic for the price that we paid, very neat, but understandably not a match for a heap of individual speakers and associated cables, etc.
Soundbar and Stand.jpg
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 20th Feb, '10, 15:32

Fat Bob wrote:crom: There are no true wireless systems.
Thanks for that FB. Wires from the power socket shouldn't be too much of a problem, since we'd just be running them along the wall behind the bookcases, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to get wired speakers and just get those rubber cable cover thingies for either side of the projector/amp.

I'm really annoyed with myself for not realising that I had to buy the projector to suit the dimensions of the room. Then I could've used the existing ceiling mount at the far end, and just run the speaker cables along the walls. It's all become a lot more complicated than I originally planned!

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 20th Feb, '10, 16:35

If you're doing long cable runs near power lines you might want to consider balanced cables. Of course, you need the converters on either end unless your components can send and receive balanced audio.
Last edited by Burbage on 20th Feb, '10, 16:38, edited 2 times in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Feb, '10, 17:03

cromasaig wrote:
Thanks for that FB. Wires from the power socket shouldn't be too much of a problem, since we'd just be running them along the wall behind the bookcases, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to get wired speakers and just get those rubber cable cover thingies for either side of the projector/amp.
I would just go for long wires. You can put them on along the skirting board/wall/window/curtain using some sort of sticky wire holders. I believe you can even get sticky ones from 3M that'll come off as easily as blutac
cromasaig wrote: I'm really annoyed with myself for not realising that I had to buy the projector to suit the dimensions of the room. Then I could've used the existing ceiling mount at the far end, and just run the speaker cables along the walls. It's all become a lot more complicated than I originally planned!
is there anything in the set up for the projector that can reduce/increase size of outputted image? Or have you tried that and found it still doesn't work?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

scubasteve
Lurker
Mood: hungover

Post by scubasteve » 22nd Feb, '10, 08:48

Baloo,

I you are looking of a good option at reasonable prices, i would strongly recommend that Q acoustics package. It sounds great for the money and what hifi also give it top marks.

you can buy them from the adelphi basement 1. http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/

edited for spelling
Last edited by scubasteve on 22nd Feb, '10, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 22nd Feb, '10, 09:48

oh, they look like they'll fit the bill as they tick the WAF of being available in white

Cheers. Will wander over to Adelphi some time this week.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 22nd Feb, '10, 09:59

An excuse to go to the Adelphi. What more could a man want
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 22nd Feb, '10, 10:00

Not much really, because it allows the "Let me check Sim Lim to see if it's cheaper there" card to be played afterwards.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Jul, '10, 16:10

arrrrggggggggg

I do hate it when I manage to get approval to buy new speakers with the only caveat being "As long as they are white"

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 19th Jul, '10, 16:14

baloo wrote:arrrrggggggggg

I do hate it when I manage to get approval to buy new speakers with the only caveat being "As long as they are white"
They have to match the furniture... [smilie=rotflmao.gif] Apple surely has the iSpeakers, no? Bose? Custommade?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Jul, '10, 16:21

Looked at the Q Acoustic 2000 cinema series which was perfect. But the asian distributor only import the piano black models.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 19th Jul, '10, 16:22

Paint them

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 19th Jul, '10, 18:57

baloo wrote:arrrrggggggggg

look! white! [smilie=tease.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Jul, '10, 20:26

Sexy. Need to find a SG dealer so I can cough and splutter at the price.