Which Printer

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Which Printer

Post by Spike » 6th Nov, '12, 21:59

Having a few problems with my heavyweight HP LaserJet printer so thinking of ditching it for a good quality, Ink Jet, All In One job. I'd like one that does duplex printing. Don't need fax facility. Anyone got any recommendations, or conversely, any products I should avoid like the plague? Must be compatible with Windows 8 of course :geek:
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Which Printer

Post by baloo » 6th Nov, '12, 23:02

I moved to Canon after years on HP. Best thing I ever did printer wise. I have a multifunction jobbie, MX868 I think, with fax. Other than the price of replacement ink I have nothing to complain about.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 7th Nov, '12, 05:29

Based on our recent experiences, NOT an Epson. Got one of those multifunction jobbies about 3 years ago, used it rarely but have spent a fortune on ink. Just can't work out why/how we go through so much.

Sick of asking Neo to print things off at work, just bought a basic wireless B&W for printing the odd ticket, boarding pass, etc - it's a Brother. Not yet plugged in so can't review.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 7th Nov, '12, 06:36

We've used Toshiba, HP, Lexmark and Canon in the past; all ok (although cheap Lexmarks are crappy) except for the cost of consumables.

Have been using Brothers with duplex for the last few years and they've been rock solid, never jam, and surprisingly cheap to run. Driver support (even including Linux) has been excellent, with even rather old models getting new drivers as new OSs have been released.

We prefer laser. Many inkjets "clean" themselves - using ink - on powerup as well as once every 24 hours, which can end up using more ink than actually printing, especially if you don't print much.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 7th Nov, '12, 07:57

That's interesting - as a rule we tried not to leave it switched on but it may have been using ink every time we powered it up.

(I thought maybe it was drying up as it was in full sun every morning, but the chap in Good Guys said that shouldn't be so.)

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 7th Nov, '12, 17:27

Thanks all. I'm now looking at the Canon MX897. Looks like a cunningly clever device.

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/produc ... ageCode=EN
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 7th Nov, '12, 17:41

Yep, that ink used is painful to watch - the little level markers on screen drop almost half way, particularly as an infrequent user.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 7th Nov, '12, 17:59

Spike wrote:Thanks all. I'm now looking at the Canon MX897. Looks like a cunningly clever device.
yeah, I woujld be looking at that printer or the Samsung Multi-Function colour laser series if I had to buy a new one today.

Check out the Samsung Samsung 3185 Colour Laser Series before you buy.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 8th Nov, '12, 15:18

baloo wrote:
Spike wrote:Thanks all. I'm now looking at the Canon MX897. Looks like a cunningly clever device.
yeah, I woujld be looking at that printer or the Samsung Multi-Function colour laser series if I had to buy a new one today.

Check out the Samsung Samsung 3185 Colour Laser Series before you buy.
Thanks Baloo. Also looks good except it doesn't do auto double sided printing. I don't often use that function but it's a God send when I do.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 15th Nov, '12, 21:57

Anybody want to buy a slightly not working HP Laser Jet CP3505 printer? It may just need a new Cyan cartridge @ around $200. I need to dispose of it to make way for my shiny new Canon MX897 printer.