Tioman

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Tioman

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Mar, '11, 20:11

Anyone fancy a weekend away diving in Tioman? Well, you can do what you want, I'm planning on diving.

I'm looking at either of the long weekends at the end of April/start of May. I would plan to drive up, so chicks, you could be in for a 2 hour sprint to Mersing - just for the run of it!

Anyone interested?
Last edited by Fat Bob on 11th Mar, '11, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

bryannnnn
Limp Member
Mood: cool

Re: Tioman

Post by bryannnnn » 3rd Jun, '11, 18:43

FB, I'm off to Tioman this weekend. Did you go? Which dive spots did you go? And finally, how was the visibility?

Cheers.
Last edited by bryannnnn on 3rd Jun, '11, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Norman
Malaysia Sea Sports

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Jun, '11, 15:49

I didn't end up going, but it's an good place to dive though not up there with some of the further a-field dive places. If you're only going for a weekend then this works as it's close enough, can be driven, catch a boat from Singapore or catch a boat from Mersing. All have options.

If you're going further a-field then think of (from places I've been too) Bali, Lombok, Sipidan, Layang Layang, Malapascua, Peuto Galera, Maldives, Similans and Surins.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

bryannnnn
Limp Member
Mood: cool

Post by bryannnnn » 4th Jun, '11, 16:36

Thanks Bob.

Agreed, Tioman, Dayang and Aur are meat and potatoes scuba diving. But now is a great time to go eh, since it's the dry season. Pulau Chebeh was awesome last month; I reckon the vis rivaled Sipadan et al.

That said, when it comes to large pelagics (and coral variety), the Seri Buat Archipelago can't really hold a candle to the places you mention, in spite of the pretty regular dolphin, whale shark and manta ray sightings.

But yeah, Tioman, Dayang and Aur are ideal for weekend trips.
Bryan Norman
Malaysia Sea Sports