Singapore travel shop - brick or click

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Singapore travel shop - brick or click

Post by Monkey Hanger » 26th Nov, '11, 07:28

So, have found a really cheap flight deal from Lux to Sing in Dec. The plan would be to stay a few nights and then head off somewhere else in SE Asia. Could anyone recommend a decent online site to look for deals (package or low cost flight only) or perhaps the name of a travel agent in Singapore I could check out once there? Ta.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Singapore travel shop - brick or click

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Nov, '11, 08:35

A couple of online agents include Chan Brothers and MISA Travel, however, I tend to do it all myself.

Useful resources are Changi Airport which will tell you which airlines fly where, the airlines own website (the majority can do online booking) and a hotel website like Agoda or asiarooms.com to look at hotels (and again, go direct to the hotel website).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 26th Nov, '11, 08:59

Check out wego and zuji too.

edit: Not sure where webjet.com.au covers but worth a look.
Last edited by Kooky on 26th Nov, '11, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Nov, '11, 10:35

I used Misa last time, they were pretty helpful. That after an awful experience with clueless shysters in a small shop in Suntec.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 26th Nov, '11, 22:57

Brilliant. Thanks folks.

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 1st Dec, '11, 19:27

I trawled though quite a few online travel shops/agents and they were all pretty lousy. Having said that, the AirAsia site is pretty user friendly these days and the fares are great. They're not quite (yet?) in the same league as Ryanair in trying to gouge every last penny out of their clients.

On the hotel front I found booking.com generally the most competitive for Sing hotels. Laterooms seemed better for Indonesian hotels (don't understand why) and did have more specials, if you're prepared to wade through the details - their "banner" best rate was, more often than not, not the actual best price available. Booked a Yogya hotel which was roughly 30% cheaper on laterooms than the identical rate on booking.com by actually adding b+b rather than room only. Bizarre!