Queenstown, NZ

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Queenstown, NZ

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Apr, '12, 19:32

I'm off to Queenstown, NZ for the ski season, and am looking at places to stay.

Anyone been? Any recommendations? Also, eateries and dwarf throwing recommendations would be welcome too!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

PJ
Limp Member
Mood: fine

Re: Queenstown, NZ

Post by PJ » 2nd Apr, '12, 20:02

I will ask around re accommodation, as we have a holiday place there, so not up with good places to stay. I have friends who wouldn't recommend the Hilton though - it is too far from town and the service was crap.

When we go to NZ it is to spend time with the family and we also have little kids so not really into the bar scene so much. Wandering around following the crowd is a good start. There is a little lane behind Eicharts hotel (very expensive) which has a few great little "hole in the wall" type bars with huge roaring open fires. We went into a couple last winter and they were buzzing.
There is a little strip down by the lakefront with a popular Irish bar call Pog Mahones. (yeah, I know what you are thinking...) :-)

Some tips I gave a friend recently.

Winniebagos aka Winnies is a great pizza place slash bar.
Botswana butchery - fantastic restaurant, one of the best we have been to.
Amisfield vineyard is good for fine dining
Arrowtown - Saffron restaurant or Pesto bar.
Kingston Flyer - old steam train about 1/2 hr drive south.
Earnslaw - old steam ship cruise you can do. *(although that may not be operating in winter)
Shotover jet boat ride. *Yes even in winter. My 4 year old loved it. Wrap up well though!

Have a look at GrabOne - it is a deal of the day website - good reputation though!

Let me know if there is anything I can ask Kiwi friends about.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 3rd Apr, '12, 12:47

LOL, thought I was seeing things there for a minute.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 3rd Apr, '12, 14:43

BURGER FUEL...yum yum yum!!
Leave Queenstown and stay in Wanaka. Check out the lodge up on Cardrona for a night or 2 (they only have 15 units), well worth it as you get access to all the fields 30min-1hr before anyone else. In the evening, once all the skiers leave and the road up is closed, its like you are sitting on top of the world.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.