Movie : Margin Call

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Movie : Margin Call

Post by daffodil » 11th Feb, '12, 15:04

Following mass lay-offs on the trading floor of an investment bank, one of the retrenched employees hands over a USB to a colleague warning him to be careful with the information contained on it. After analysing the information, it becomes clear that the bank will be in major trouble unless it offloads the bad securities immediately.

The movie follows the decisions made over the next 36 hours by the owner of the bank (Jeremy Irons) and the senior management team including Demi Moore, Kevin Spacey. Ethics are of course called into question, and everyone has their price, right ?!

I really enjoyed this one - the acting is very good all round and it kept me absorbed right to the end.

4 stars!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Movie : Margin Call

Post by slinky » 13th Feb, '12, 13:44

When I first saw this post, this movie was sitting in my iTunes rentals waiting to be watched -- ha ha! Anyway, watched it over the weekend - agree with you - good one & worth seeing. (Also, given that it is 'loosely' based on the whole Lehman Bros mess, it helped me understand all that a bit better)

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 13th Feb, '12, 13:59

so if you down load a movie on itunes, it can just go into the ipod. And if you have one of those DVD players that lets you sit your ipod, and a button that says Ipod, you can watch it on your TV. Is it really THAT simple?????
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Feb, '12, 15:18

In some cases, yes. Depends on your DVD player. It may only play music, it may play anything on your iPod (the doc has all the connectors in order to get TV and sound off it).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 13th Feb, '12, 15:40

It's a blue ray player with a docking station, I'll ask Neo :) We got the same tv's 1) to get a bulk buy discount 2) for one day when I bothered to try something techie he'd already have it sussed. We got a Blueray player surround system as a bonus so also same (Kooky doesn't like the tv and all the cords and might still curse the day she let us going shopping :D )
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 13th Feb, '12, 18:14

Tas, I'm pretty sure most newer TVs have ports to plug in stuff like iPod docking stations directly. I know before we hooked up a Mac Mini to our TV, we watched some movies via iPod docking station. I'm sure Neo can get it all worked out for you :D

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 13th Feb, '12, 18:45

We get movies from iTunes but we do have a little black box I believe is called AppleTV. I don't know if you need one to do what you want to do so, yes, you need to call Tech Support.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 13th Feb, '12, 22:20

We bought an AV to Ipod cable and just plug it into the TV.