Pelman 123, Love You Man, Angels and Demons

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Pelman 123, Love You Man, Angels and Demons

Post by Joseph27 » 22nd Jun, '09, 18:00

Yes I had a busy weekend and given that I was too lazy to do anything but read and watch movies - I used my free tickets to see these 3 films.

The Taking of Pelman 123 - apparently there is a 90's film of the same title and story - I hadn't heard anything about it until I saw it. It held my interest for a little while but became a little silly towards the end. Could have been a lot better given the presence of Denzel and Travolta but seeing them together was fun. 2.54 out of 5.

Love you man - the difficulties of building plutonic friendships. I actually liked this story - didnt think I would and perhaps that very thought made it seem better than it is. Its a bit silly in parts and somehow the friend manages to construct a dozen billboards around LA but there are some good scenes with the Hulk which made me laugh and the banter between them became quite engaging at different stages. I walked out at the end with a smile. 2.86 out of 5

Angels and Demons - this is better than DaVinci code but that's like saying that jumping in front of a train is better than setting yourself on fire .... either way you're screwed. It wasnt a great film by any means but as with the book - Dan Brown gets you turning pages, and this film kept you watching. It was funny to see the end - they kept fairly true to the book which explains why it is so shit but the attempt to manipulate the viewer is so transparent and yet its achieves it purpose. Some of the crowd watching though were 'blown away'... 2.2 out of 5

So a great weekend - well it was after I went to the book shop and actually bought a few decent books to rescue my mind from a binge of hollywood's equivalent of junk food.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Re: Pelman 123, Love You Man, Angels and Demons

Post by Jedi » 22nd Jun, '09, 18:27

It's Pelham, not Pelman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072251/

ps. and the original was a 70s flick :)
Last edited by Jedi on 22nd Jun, '09, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 22nd Jun, '09, 18:37

On my recent flights I watched:

Taken
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Gran Torino
The Wrestler
The 40 year-old Virgin
Confessions of a Shopaholic
He's just not that into you
Bride Wars

That's more movies than I usually watch in a year. Yes, I was getting increasingly desperate. Couldn't sleep and they were the same movies on all four flights. :( Liked the first 4, sort of liked the 5th, and the others don't really merit reviews.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 22nd Jun, '09, 18:42

Pelham it is then. Kooky that is a truly bizarre set of films to go through on a flight... I remember the last time I went from Melbourne to Jakarta through Singapore I didnt nothing but watch films and drink jack daniels. Couldnt tell you the names of the films but I did laugh lots... My flights now are usually spent entertaining two little girls long enough that they fall to sleep and let me at least catch one movie...
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 22nd Jun, '09, 19:19

J27 - in I Love You Man: the best friend knew someone in advertising, and rented the billboards.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 22nd Jun, '09, 19:44

"but that's like saying that jumping in front of a train is better than setting yourself on fire .... either way you're screwed."

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 23rd Jun, '09, 10:53

FurBaby wrote:J27 - in I Love You Man: the best friend knew someone in advertising, and rented the billboards.
Ironically my friend is in advertising as well - and a bill board that big would probably set you back about $20K a piece minimum by the time you factor in licencing and production costs - he constructed about 10 pieces.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 23rd Jun, '09, 13:57

And it's Plato not Pluto. [smilie=kiss.gif] A plutonic relationship would be one that Mickey Mouse has. [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Edit: Sorry, just tickled me, imagined MM and Pluto
Last edited by azzam on 23rd Jun, '09, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 23rd Jun, '09, 14:03

azzam wrote:And it's Plato not Pluto. [smilie=kiss.gif] A plutonic relationship would be one that Mickey Mouse has. [smilie=rotflmao.gif]
And here I was thinking it was friendships with aliens from Pluto :lol: ;)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 23rd Jun, '09, 14:57

It could be radioactive. :ugeek:
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 23rd Jun, '09, 15:44

I'm just annoyed that you all beat me to the plutonic friendship. Sounded a touch volatile to me. Oi, Lili: you finished with deadlines?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 23rd Jun, '09, 16:30

Yes. I rule. [smilie=mango.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 23rd Jun, '09, 16:44

cromasaig wrote:I'm just annoyed that you all beat me to the plutonic friendship.
Oh no, I can beat one more out of it:

friendship with dwarfs.

OK, I'll stop now.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 24th Jun, '09, 17:47

Well as per the other post - got to see Transformers 2 last night... the action was okay - the bootie was very fine... but the show gets a 3 out of 5. Worth a look with not much need to think over the course of the 2 hours. Have been given feedback from colleagues saying they didnt understand the story (that comment will factor in their next performance appraisal) - to 'the best movie ever'.....

The funny part was giving away tickets at the cinema - people seemed to think I was after sexual favors.. I walked up to a group of 6 teenagers - (bordering on being ah bengs) and said - do you want to see Transformers. They said sure - I then gave them 6 tickets in the same row. Their jaws dropped.... couldnt believe it... DId the same and gave away 12 tickets... Some people wanted to pay but I said its a karma thing and that they must have done something nice to someone so no money was accepted. Its nice to give...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Jul, '09, 14:42

Love how your reviews can have a rating of 2.2 to 3 out of 5.

What is the difference between a 2.54 and a 2.86 out of 5 then? And how about the 3/5 you gave transformers?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 17th Jul, '09, 16:15

Well actually I hate using 5 as a reference - because every single figure represents 20% even a half is 10% - if I submit a paper and it is graded at 82% - it translates obviously into 4.15 out of 5..... which is not bad - but if I go down to 3.95 out of 5 - I go from an A to a B which puts me in an entirely different level. Now 2.54 or 50.8% is not as good as 57.2% - or the 60% for trasnformers means it was mildly enjoyabled - it passed but it wasnt very good or great.

Now last night I watched Harry Potter - for Weasley's annoying performance and Potter's general ugliness coupled with the fact that it is more of a middle story more than even the last episode - I give it a 3 as well. I enjoyed watching it but wanted more.

So I explain the supposed logic of my marking system - maybe I should use a base ten marking system :-D