Pest control at Tenant's cost?

From the best fridge to the best handyman.

Moderator: Fuzz

kiwi

Pest control at Tenant's cost?

Post by kiwi » 27th Nov, '10, 13:33

Hi, i'm new around here and is looking for a condo rental. Am wondering if the following clause is right to proceed! Reading it gives me the impression pests might already be a problem in the unit...but i might be wrong.

The tenant shall take up a contract from a reputable pest control company to carry out routine pest control services including but not limited to the control of termites, rats, ants and cockroaches, save where the landlord has delivered the said property in a clean and safe condition free of infestation. The landlord is responsible for pest control (including fumigation) when the pests are evident at the beginning of the tenancy. A copy of the contract is to be provided to the Landlord within 3 months of the commencement of the Tenancy

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Pest control at Tenant's cost?

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Nov, '10, 13:55

Doesn't always mean there is a problem, just means that if a problem arises, you take care of it.

In my view, this is something the landlord should do as it's his property and he should be safeguarding it. There should also be things the condo management is doing (if you are in a condo).

Negotiate this clause out, and have something similar making sure it is the Landlord's inserted. If needed I can try to find suitable wording.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 27th Nov, '10, 22:31

Do the mods check the IPs of first-time posters?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 27th Nov, '10, 22:40

Sardonicus wrote:Do the mods check the IPs of first-time posters?
No
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 28th Nov, '10, 10:46

Does sound as if there is an existing problem. You certainly don't want to be responsible for anything to do with termites. If there is a likely issue then I would expect the condo management to have a contract with a pest control co
We are the TPF

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 28th Nov, '10, 11:15

Based on the normal viewing when looking for condos, you may have no idea if there is a pest problem so I would say no to signing this.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 28th Nov, '10, 11:54

Having recently been through two episodes of termites and been blamed by the landlord (because he's too tight to pay for regular inspections and was also uncontactable in Europe for a month when we first discovered them - how unreasonable of us) I would have this clause removed or walk away. Actually I would be tempted to say walk away with your wooden furniture intact.

And yes, I've been a landlord as well as a tenant.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 28th Nov, '10, 11:58

I would walk away too

Having been infested with cockroaches due to building work at the condo next door, NOTHING we did would get rid of them. Only regular treatment of the whole building had any effect at all.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » 29th Nov, '10, 13:34

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.

litmon

Post by litmon » 9th Feb, '11, 17:32

Rectal Property network provides private local, regional, and international residential long-term and short-term holiday rectals. Singapore Property Rectal – With a fast expanding rectal network, Rectals-Singapore can advertise your Singapore rectal property on our rectal website network. Advertise your property with us and pay no agent commissions. Make significant savings and ripoff expatriate tenants in Singapore directly.

For more details visit us at - http://www.rectals-singapore.com.sg/AboutUs.aspx
Last edited by baloo on 9th Feb, '11, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 9th Feb, '11, 20:42

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]