Cold calls Singapore

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Cold calls Singapore

Post by Beesknees » 30th Mar, '10, 16:16

While I've been living in Australia I've been nearly demented [smilie=23_3.gif] by the number of cold calls I've received - even although I've been registered on the appropriate register for having my number blocked. (Good old Telstra).

Is this a problem in Singapore? If so please tell me before I sign up for a supplier so that I know what to do.

Thank you

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Re: Cold calls Singapore

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 30th Mar, '10, 16:19

Yes. My favourite was the offer of vagina insurance. Not entirely sure against what.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 30th Mar, '10, 16:42

Scummy Mummy wrote:Yes. My favourite was the offer of vagina insurance. Not entirely sure against what.
Possibly useful if it was an "Any Driver" policy.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 30th Mar, '10, 16:45

Unfortunately it prohibited drivers under 25.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 30th Mar, '10, 16:45

cromasaig wrote:
Scummy Mummy wrote:Yes. My favourite was the offer of vagina insurance. Not entirely sure against what.
[drinkspit]

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 30th Mar, '10, 16:59

Scummy Mummy wrote:Unfortunately it prohibited drivers under 25.
No loss. They always crash before you reach your destination.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 30th Mar, '10, 17:02

We've been here six years and have never had a land line phone. We each have a handphone and we use skype on the computer to make most overseas calls. Haven't really missed having a land line at all. I'm guessing one solid bonus is no soliciting calls.

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 30th Mar, '10, 17:05

slinky wrote:We've been here six years and have never had a land line phone. We each have a handphone and we use skype on the computer to make most overseas calls. Haven't really missed having a land line at all. I'm guessing one solid bonus is no soliciting calls.

What about your internet access Slinky?

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 30th Mar, '10, 17:11

Starhub provides internet along with cable TV, so we use that. High speed connection, no problem.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 30th Mar, '10, 17:15

Broadband internet access can be unrelated to having a landline. Though if you do have broadband, you can get a landline for almost nothing. (so no point getting a singtel landline if you are intending to use Starhub for Internet and Cable TV)

From earlier threads on this board it seems that there is no such thing as unlimited broadband access in Aus. Here it is the norm.

As for cold calls. I get the occasional call on my hp (usually from banks) but not often enough to be annoying
We are the TPF

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 30th Mar, '10, 17:20

BoD wrote:Broadband internet access can be unrelated to having a landline. Though if you do have broadband, you can get a landline for almost nothing. (so no point getting a singtel landline if you are intending to use Starhub for Internet and Cable TV)
Yes, I think we can get a free - or darn close to free - land line from Starhub, but we've been without one for so long I simply can't be arsed to bother with it :lol:

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 30th Mar, '10, 18:11

I have a land line and a mobile phone but I get all the cold calls on my mobile. I've never really found it a problem. As soon as I hear a Filipino accent asking, "Mr Spike, how are you sir?" I reply by telling them I already have a financial advisor, enough credit cards and I don't need a loan, so if you're calling to sell me any of those, we don't need to talk.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 30th Mar, '10, 18:13

cromasaig wrote:
Could have been worse. Could have been third party, fire and theft.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Mar, '10, 18:27

Cold calls are usually from banks, or their registered insurance agents. Just make sure you check (or uncheck) the boxes on the forms.

Also the odd financial advisor gets your number. If they are from a call centre, just say no, if it's the actual adviser with a expat accent, then ask them what it will take to get them to stop. If they say anything other than "we won't bother you again, Miss" then just tell 'em to fuck off.

Broadband is based on speed over here, not usage. Starhub, which is currently the main cable TV company, also provides internet and phone lines. If you get the Hubstation (equivalent to Sky+ and Tivo) then you can get a free phone line (probably a $100 to get the box) and 2Mbps internet. Starhub also do mobile phones. Singtel also has some TV, and therefore will also do a deal between phone, mobile, TV and internet.

Best of luck with all that!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 30th Mar, '10, 18:49

never once had a cold call on our landline...

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 30th Mar, '10, 22:30

BK, you will love the internet access and prices in Sing after living in Aus. It is so cheap and efficient.

I had same amount of cold calls in Sing on Singtel landline as I do now in Aus. So many of those carpet salesmen just stopping off in Changi wanting to sell me a new rug or three...I miss those ones, not!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Mar, '10, 22:47

Morrolan wrote:never once had a cold call on our landline...
Once had a girl phone up and give me a dirty phone call. Was rather erotic to be truthful....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 31st Mar, '10, 05:17

We had the rug salesman too! Asked for Neo - never got him - and was most insistent that he was going to sell us something.

We also had some kind of holiday club ring over and over - congratulations, you've won a trip to...just give us all your details (yeah, right) and tell us when you can come in to collect...actually I bet that goes down pretty well in Singapore, chance of something FREE :) And then there was the man, can't remember what he was trying to sell me but I flummoxed him by daring to suggest that his name was not really Jack Daniels.

I just used to have a laugh with them all, apart from the rug salesman.

I also, when I first registered on the OB, had a man contact me and offer me services for bored expat wives. His website was atrocious, he was particularly ugly, and he seemed to have a thing about the Beatles. Yes of course I looked. ;)

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 31st Mar, '10, 05:24

Kooky wrote: I also, when I first registered on the OB, had a man contact me and offer me services for bored expat wives. His website was atrocious, he was particularly ugly, and he seemed to have a thing about the Beatles. Yes of course I looked. ;)
[smilie=rotflmao.gif] I'd have done the same!! :mrgreen:
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 31st Mar, '10, 14:22

Fat Bob wrote:Cold calls are usually from banks, or their registered insurance agents. Just make sure you check (or uncheck) the boxes on the forms.

Also the odd financial advisor gets your number. If they are from a call centre, just say no, if it's the actual adviser with a expat accent, then ask them what it will take to get them to stop. If they say anything other than "we won't bother you again, Miss" then just tell 'em to **** off.

Broadband is based on speed over here, not usage. Starhub, which is currently the main cable TV company, also provides internet and phone lines. If you get the Hubstation (equivalent to Sky+ and Tivo) then you can get a free phone line (probably a $100 to get the box) and 2Mbps internet. Starhub also do mobile phones. Singtel also has some TV, and therefore will also do a deal between phone, mobile, TV and internet.

Best of luck with all that!

Mmm. Talking about TV what channels do you get there? We've got Foxtel here in Oz so we get the occasional good programme as the Australian telly isn't great. What is the equivalent of pay TV in Singapore (I can't remember it's proper name...the stuff you get a box with?)

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 31st Mar, '10, 14:38

2 choices

Starhub or Singtel Mio cable TV. Satellite dishes are not allowed

Up to now Starhub would have been the default choice, but if you or Mr BK is an English Football fan, then things are about to get a little more complicated, as the coverage for EPL (and everything else on ESPN/Star Sports) is about to switch to Singtel

Relatedly, at the moment, there is no agreement for either cable TV provider to show the World Cup
We are the TPF

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 31st Mar, '10, 14:42

BoD wrote:2 choices

Starhub or Singtel Mio cable TV. Satellite dishes are not allowed

Up to now Starhub would have been the default choice, but if you or Mr BK is an English Football fan, then things are about to get a little more complicated, as the coverage for EPL (and everything else on ESPN/Star Sports) is about to switch to Singtel

Relatedly, at the moment, there is no agreement for either cable TV provider to show the World Cup

No, definetely not (but that might give you a clue to my nationality!) and hurray to no World Cup.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 31st Mar, '10, 14:50

Scottish?

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 31st Mar, '10, 16:48

Spike wrote:I have a land line and a mobile phone but I get all the cold calls on my mobile. I've never really found it a problem. As soon as I hear a Filipino accent asking, "Mr Spike, how are you sir?" I reply by telling them I already have a financial advisor, enough credit cards and I don't need a loan, so if you're calling to sell me any of those, we don't need to talk.
I usually just tell the caller I'm an Indonesian maid. They can't hang up fast enough.