Pre-Parenting tests

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Pre-Parenting tests

Post by Fat Bob » 9th Apr, '08, 12:46

Just read this (both the bits at the top and you lot prattling on) and thought "I'm glad I don't have kids".

right, so where's my next combined diving trip and rugby tour happening?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 9th Apr, '08, 13:13

Question 1 - Why are you reading "Parenting and Children" if you find the subject distasteful/boring/irrelevant?

Question 2 - Why do you think anyone is more interested in your diving and rugby than you are in children?

Just curious...
Life's too short...

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 9th Apr, '08, 14:11

The other thing I remember very clearly from my mumsy days is that it takes bloody years to teach manners, grace, tact etc etc. You repeat yourself ad nauseum, day in, day out - "say thank you, smile, look at people when you talk to them, get your friggin elbows off the table!!'" Nag nag nag - sometimes it's so much calmer to let them just be themselves and stay happy, at least at home. And all the holier than thous think you haven't been trying just because the kid slips up now and again.
So don't judge the whole kit and kaboodle just because you witness one less than graceful episode.

No answer for you, Baloo. One was good for me.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 9th Apr, '08, 14:13

Az, but isn't it gratifying when one of their friend's parents compliments you on the manners that you yourself have never witnessed.

azzam

Post by azzam » 9th Apr, '08, 14:21

Yep, they always seem to do so much better when you're not around.

azzam

Post by azzam » 9th Apr, '08, 14:38

Sorry bender, it's not you, honest!

Lots of times, people on the board have had a go at parents and kids, and you just set me off. ;)

I feel so much better now......

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 9th Apr, '08, 14:55

Your 22 year old child was the perfect house guest; in fact he got my coffee press a lot cleaner than I do.

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 9th Apr, '08, 15:53

BFG wrote:Question 1 - Why are you reading "Parenting and Children" if you find the subject distasteful/boring/irrelevant?

Question 2 - Why do you think anyone is more interested in your diving and rugby than you are in children?

Just curious...
BfG, probably because gratuitous opinions feature fairly strongly on this board......

Anyway, given that I don't have children and have never i my 30 odd years looked after any children, it's only right and correct of me to add my own opinion. I think, the middle classes especially have wrapped their children in cotton wool and I fear for their future. There is also a general view of peoples "entitlement" and "rights". Read a good article in the Times a while back.....

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 465821.ece

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 9th Apr, '08, 16:02

I wonder if she'd have the same views if she lived in Toxteth?

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 9th Apr, '08, 16:21

Isn't that article the epitome of smug parenting! I've been so guilty of some of those views/intolerences but neither I, nor she, can know what goes on in other people's families. And her conclusions about how all the other people's kids will turn out is way off imo.

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 9th Apr, '08, 16:22

True - but that's exactly the point... Hampstead isn't Toxteth.

Though, if it were, imagine the fun they'd have nicking the wheels off all the Porsche Cayenne's

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 9th Apr, '08, 16:29

Tack wrote:Isn't that article the epitome of smug parenting! I've been so guilty of some of those views/intolerences but neither I, nor she, can know what goes on in other people's families. And her conclusions about how all the other people's kids will turn out is way off imo.
Ah, like the parents that, when their kids get into trouble, say - my Charlie's not a bad lad, he was led astray by the other kids. :roll:

(Just to prove I'm slightly human when it comes to children, I've just had a wobbly moment whilst discussing our imminent continental shift with my youngest niece via MSN. She asked, me: "When Neo moves jobs again, are you coming back to England?")

azzam

Post by azzam » 9th Apr, '08, 16:37

Awww. No answer to that really. Except that she can come to you, of course.

azzam

Post by azzam » 9th Apr, '08, 16:55

Kooky wrote:Your 22 year old child was the perfect house guest; in fact he got my coffee press a lot cleaner than I do.

Faints.

When I went to stay in his student flat I had to make him clean the shower before I could get into it. [smilie=rollingpin.gif]

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 9th Apr, '08, 17:18

I think he did go food shopping and do the dishes once at my place when he was 17. That was quite impressive. Although he did lie on the sofa for the next couple of days, based on the dishes laurels but then again most teenagers do lie on sofas dont they :D
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 9th Apr, '08, 17:39

BFG wrote:Question 1 - Why are you reading "Parenting and Children" if you find the subject distasteful/boring/irrelevant?

Just curious...
Why do I read? I sometimes get bored with all the spare time I have and wonder "hey, am I really really sure that I don't want kids"..... [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

And I don't think writing things on this (or any other) board has usually got anything to do with what other people are interested in! Where did you get such a silly idea like that from?!?!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BFG

Post by BFG » 9th Apr, '08, 18:33

Fair points and well made, both Bobs.
Life's too short...

saint
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Excited!

Post by saint » 9th Apr, '08, 19:20

Has anyone got a spare goat I can borrow as I finding it hard to locate one in Aldershot, Thanks

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Apr, '08, 07:35

You could go to a farm and nick one. Or down the local army base, they usually have a goat or something as a mascot. Or is that just the Black Watch?

Poppy Appeal

saint
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Excited!

Post by saint » 10th Apr, '08, 07:50

Fat Bob wrote:You could go to a farm and nick one. Or down the local army base, they usually have a goat or something as a mascot. Or is that just the Black Watch?
All our local kebab shops have taken all the goats from the local farms as well as all the road kills they come across on route. Any goat kept on the army base would be well used and soiled by now.

I'm also after an octopus.........

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 10th Apr, '08, 12:13

Fat Bob wrote:

Just curious...
Why do I read? I sometimes get bored with all the spare time I have and wonder "hey, am I really really sure that I don't want kids"..... [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

And I don't think writing things on this (or any other) board has usually got anything to do with what other people are interested in! Where did you get such a silly idea like that from?!?!
Do you know FB, you should get VERY VERY worried.

As a confirmed "I don't want kids" person I used to read the kids board on the AB and never really wondered why I was interested as I didn't want kids. It turned out of course that I did, it just took me a while to realise it.

So maybe sub-consciously you're yearning for a Fat Boblet :D

BFG

Post by BFG » 10th Apr, '08, 12:24

You may be onto something Mrs. Mummy. He also wants to set up a "secret men's business" forum. Does this mean anything d'you think?

[smilie=yahoo.gif]
Life's too short...

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 10th Apr, '08, 12:26

A parthenogenetic Fat Bob? Doesn't bear thinking about.

BFG

Post by BFG » 10th Apr, '08, 12:28

"Parthenogenetic"? Related to a big building in Athens?
Life's too short...

azzam

Post by azzam » 10th Apr, '08, 12:30

I think you'd be a good dad, Blobby.