Car Seat Campaign

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Car Seat Campaign

Post by slinky » 8th May, '08, 10:03

Saw a bus this morning with a picture of a child in a car seat on it and it said something like: 'Car Seats Save Little Lives' Guess that's a start - now if they just start fining people for not using them.....

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Re: Car Seat Campaign

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 8th May, '08, 10:51

I was going along the CTE at 8.30 the other morning. There was a car in the outside lane drifting from side to side and going slower than the traffic in the middle lane so everyone was driving round him.

As I went past (I was in he inside lane) I glanced up. There was a child about 2 standing in the footwell stroking daddy's face while daddy chatted away oblivious to the road.

Makes me SOOOOOO mad!

Yep, start enforcing the law and fine these buggers at least $1000 per time. If you can afford a car you can afford a bloody car seat.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 8th May, '08, 10:59

Somehow I don't think the law enforcement will happen too rapidly, but at least this is a move in the right direction.
If only they would take it further than posters on buses and the like. People really need it rammed into them how important it is to be properly buckled up etc, but if they don't do it themselves it is hardly likely that they will buckle up their child.
One can only hope that instead of just bringing out more laws that they educate the masses with the reasons for doing so. Scummy that man needs to see what happens to a childs head when it is jammed between a body and the dash/steering wheel, maybe then he might think of placing her in a seat in the back.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 8th May, '08, 13:51

It continues to astound me how parents can put their children in danger for the sake of a few dollars. The fact that the requirement to put child restraints in cars needs to be legislated and enforced with the threat of fines is simply beyond me.

Gits...
Life's too short...

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 8th May, '08, 14:25

Maybe countries need time to develop that safety mindset and that Singapore is a place where the development level of the cars / other consumer possessions is beyond the peoples general level of a saftey mindset. After all, I remember when growing up, we thought is was cool and great fun to be able to sit in the boot of the estate car which my friend's parents owned. You would get shot for that these days.

Stil campaign is a great idea - I do get cross at how children are transported here - it is so dangerous

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 8th May, '08, 14:35

But bearing in mind how risk averse your average Singaporean parent is (don't play football, don't climb that tree, don't tease the cobras...) you would imagine that they would. at the very least, insist on seat belts.

Wouldn't you?
Life's too short...

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 8th May, '08, 14:53

BFG wrote: don't tease the cobras...)
Ho ho ho

Completely agree on the general risk averse nature - I think people here are scared of their own shadow. That's why I think it might be that it is a mindset thing that only changes over time and development. Plenty of things here have not developed at the same pace as it's infrastructure / GDP .... . democracy, freedom of press / speech

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 8th May, '08, 14:57

'Don't tease the cobras' - good grief, what next?? I mean, when we were kids we teased the cobras uphill both ways to school on a daily basis!
;)

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 8th May, '08, 15:00

Be realistic. If the child puts up a fuss and doesn't want to be buckled up, why should you force him too ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 8th May, '08, 15:03

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Parents that stupid shouldn't be reproducing anyway.

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 8th May, '08, 15:04

For a risk adverse country the amount of parents encouragaing kids to feed the monkeys under the sign saying Dont Feed the Monkeys is amazing.

Haha Baloo. I have had a friend from India refuse to put her kids in carseats because "they didnt like it". I said they "wouldnt like" being thrown through the windscreen onto the road either. Didn't sink in. People seem to belive its only taxis and motorbikes here that get into accidents...

I think it is lazy parenting myself not putting your kids into a car seat. As for that tosser in Slinky's post - didnt other driver safety cross his mind? Nope. So that would have been him, his kid, the other people in the car he hit all through the windscreen. Nice. Not.

Oh and Azzam teases cobras on my front terrace dont you A :)
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 8th May, '08, 15:08

I don't think lazy parenting is the only reason. I think it's an unwanted consequence of the majority of families living here as a larger family unit.

Most people have a househuld that is too big to fit into a standard car, let alone with car seats fitted. And with the price of cars in Singapore, having 2 cars is too difficult. I guess MPVs could solve the problem somewhat but even then the car seats should be in the middle making it difficult to tip those middle seats foward to acces the rear.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 8th May, '08, 15:17

Always wondered about car seats in the middle, isnt that more dangeous for kids? I have noticed advice in a few places that is the best spot to put the car seat but then again that leaves your child facing the windscreen, flying glass, the possibility of being thrown through the windscreen if the car seat fails.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

TheD

Post by TheD » 8th May, '08, 15:18

Aliya wrote:I have had a friend from India refuse to put her kids in carseats because "they didnt like it".
You think she'd be different if she were from Bangladesh?

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 8th May, '08, 15:19

Suppose it may well be a good way to move towards a smaller family unit

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 8th May, '08, 15:20

If in the middle, less likely to get clobbered from the side.

I have a colleague who when asked why he didn't put his baby in a car seat said "I just make sure I don't drive too fast". [smilie=rollingpin.gif]

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 8th May, '08, 15:22

I got thrown out of the back of a car when I was a kid. Didn't do me all that much harm
We are the TPF

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 8th May, '08, 15:26

Scummy Mummy wrote:
I have a colleague who when asked why he didn't put his baby in a car seat said "I just make sure I don't drive too fast". [smilie=rollingpin.gif]
Yes, because everyone else on the road looks out for cars with children in them and drives r e a l l y carefully around them..... [smilie=wtf.gif]

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 8th May, '08, 15:32

I also have a friend from Bangaldesh who, in Bangladesh, refused to put her child in a car seat :D. The worse offenders as far as I can see it in Asia are Singaporeans and Indians/Bengalis

HoD - you sure?? [smilie=yahoo.gif]

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 8th May, '08, 15:33

Not only are unrestrained children at greater risk of injury they are also a driving hazard to the vehicle they're in, which makes it doubly dangerous.

TheD

Post by TheD » 8th May, '08, 15:41

Aliya wrote:I also have a friend from Bangaldesh who, in Bangladesh, refused to put her child in a car seat :D. The worse offenders as far as I can see it in Asia are Singaporeans and Indians/Bengalis

HoD - you sure?? [smilie=yahoo.gif]
In Bangladesh (or India) the least of your worries is a car seat.

Oh yes of course. The Turkish, Vietnamese, Russians, Mainland Chinese, Tibetans, all use car seats in Asia.

Those basket Singaporeans, Indians and Bengalis, they're the problem.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 8th May, '08, 15:42

No I said IMHO the Singaporeans and the Indians/Bengalis were the worst offenders, not the only offenders. You may believe in YHO that others are.

TheD

Post by TheD » 8th May, '08, 15:45

Oh yes. 9 out of 10 Singaporeans, Indians and Bengalis don't use car seats for their kids in Asia.

In the rest of Asia, the figures drop to 0.00002 for ever 10.

They're the worst those baskets.

IMHO.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 8th May, '08, 15:58

Good to see that chip is still well and truly planted on your shoulder.

TheD

Post by TheD » 8th May, '08, 16:00

I won't be taking it off to please you.

edit: oh yeah. Whenever any one says anything with the word India in it, they have a chip off their head on their shoulder isn't it my Italian paisano with the Asian fetish? That may work with your 3rd world sweat shop code monkeys. You can't bully me into silence. Kick me out of here, that's why you hated Merv anyway.