dumb as bricks...

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

dumb as bricks...

Post by Morrolan » 20th Aug, '10, 06:52

Are Americans total numbskulls?

according to this recent poll showing that 20% firmly believe their president is a muslim, they seem to be... FFS :roll:

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: dumb as bricks...

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Aug, '10, 07:57

I don't need a poll to tell me that!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 20th Aug, '10, 09:05

Yeah, and Obama wasn't born in the US. I think that poll only shows that 20 percent of Americans hate Obama so much that they're eager to invent and perpetuate lies about him to try spread fear and doubt.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 20th Aug, '10, 09:39

Doers that mean 20% of Americans watch Fox News ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 20th Aug, '10, 09:53

I laughed out loud when I saw that story. Seriously, what's to get upset about or even really be surprised about? We're talking about a country with a large population and statistically in any population half the population fall below the 50% mark if you're measuring intelligence of the whole. So, the way I see it 20% being fairly brain dead with regard to current events and the like is actually a lower number than I'd have guessed.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 20th Aug, '10, 10:38

I think Lili's got it. Just like a lot of people (20%?, not sure) believe or believed that Bush "stole" the 2000 election. If you strongly oppose someone, you are more inclined to believe stupid crap as long as it agrees with your negative view.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 20th Aug, '10, 11:34

slinky wrote:Seriously, what's to get upset about or even really be surprised about? We're talking about a country with a large population and statistically in any population half the population fall below the 50% mark if you're measuring intelligence of the whole.
erm... any scientific backing for your assumptions?

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 20th Aug, '10, 12:04

I'm talking about comparing the members of the group to each other - sort of a classic bell curve scenario, so half the population are in the top 50% and the other half fall in the bottom 50%, that's all.

Edit: But I'm also being a bit of a smart ass. Lili and T2K have it right the number just represents the die- hard Obama haters who will always look for anything they can find/manufacture against him.
Last edited by slinky on 20th Aug, '10, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 20th Aug, '10, 12:24

Ok forget about not being born in the US and the they can't find the birth certificate. Conspiracy says they can't find the birth certificate because it has another name as the father.
Barak Obama is illegitimate and the real son of "uncle frank" Frank Marshal Davis. [smilie=rotflmao.gif]
http://www.reformation.org/frank-marsha ... obama.html

If there is 20% Dumb as posts there another 10% nutter than hatters. ;)
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 20th Aug, '10, 13:17

slinky wrote:Edit: But I'm also being a bit of a smart ass. Lili and T2K have it right the number just represents the die- hard Obama haters who will always look for anything they can find/manufacture against him.
well, according to the polls it's 3 in every 10 Repugnicans, which means that even some Democraps believe this.

on the other hand there are many people who believe man never landed on the moon and that the US government was behind the attacks on 9-11-2001, so in that sense it's no surprise. [smilie=23_3.gif]

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 20th Aug, '10, 14:51

Morrolan wrote:there are many people who believe man never landed on the moon and that the US government was behind the attacks on 9-11-2001, so in that sense it's no surprise.
[irked.gif] oh don't get me started...
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 20th Aug, '10, 16:29

Mr Oz wrote:
Morrolan wrote:there are many people who believe man never landed on the moon and that the US government was behind the attacks on 9-11-2001, so in that sense it's no surprise.
[shots] [smilie=alc.gif]

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 20th Aug, '10, 21:24

Mr Oz wrote:
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 31st Aug, '10, 13:12

This is a country in which Glen Beck has a platform and Sarah Palin gives paid speeches...

In all fairness the US still has the worlds best univesities, the largest number of scientist (of course they are no caucasion), and a very dynamic society.... the downside is that is has its proportion of dumb asses who despite living in a caravan park with the cousin cum lover, listen to the likes of Beck or Rush Limbaugh and swallow the lies along with their share of cheap bourbon whilst holding their full automatic guns. For many centuries these folks were canon fodder on the battle fields of the rich and powerful... We have evolved to a point where the rich and powerful still need them but now its to vote in republicans.... the Republicans leaders care as much about them as leaders in centuries past cared about the fodder
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 31st Aug, '10, 16:57

Joseph27 wrote:... the largest number of scientist (of course they are no caucasion)...

:?:

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 31st Aug, '10, 18:27

Grammer Grammer Grammer... of course they are no longer caucasion :) Of course thats a being deliberately dramatic - but the numbers of PhD students are increasingly foreign... :D
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 31st Aug, '10, 20:15

Joseph27 wrote:Grammer Grammer Grammer... of course they are no longer caucasion :) Of course thats a being deliberately dramatic - but the numbers of PhD students are increasingly foreign... :D
Deliberately dramatic, I'll say :o You are aware that the US is often referred to as a 'melting pot' because there is no one race that is definitively "American," right?

Edit: Well, except perhaps the American Indians (Native Americans) ;)
Last edited by slinky on 31st Aug, '10, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.