Buying jewelry in Singapore

Need a good place to eat ? Destination for Holiday ? Can't find a decent Handyman ? Or want to tell the world about your experiences ? This is the place.

Moderator: Fuzz

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Buying jewelry in Singapore

Post by Sardonicus » 27th Jul, '10, 08:30

Have not been posting as we've been traveling on business a lot lately. Got back after midnight last night, was away for weeks, second time in 2 months.

We have a built-in dilemma in the S household, Mr. S hates buying jewelry and Mrs. S loves getting it as a gift.

Last time I bought something here I felt like I was being conned one way or another. I bought our wedding ring back home from a trusted jeweler and from word-of-mouth recommendations, but

So, I'm looking for diamond earrings for Mrs. S's birthday. Which is today.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Buying jewelry in Singapore

Post by slinky » 27th Jul, '10, 08:39

There's a shop on the 2nd floor in the HV Shopping Centre (where the Cold Storage is) who fixed a ring for me and custom made a pendant for me as well. Unfortunately the name escapes me, but it's at the far end - so all the way down to the left when you get off the escalator - opposite end from Lim's. It isn't part of a big chain and it's a small place. The guy who owns (?) it seems pretty decent. Even so, you probably need to be clear that you are not a tourist.

You could also try the fine jewelery counters in Takashimaya - at least the prices are fixed so you don't have to wonder if you paid more than the next or last guy.

Mainly, I'd avoid places in Lucky Plaza and the like.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Jul, '10, 08:49

I was with someone when she went to buy a diamond necklace for her sister's wedding gift. She used on of the chain stores in Vivo City. She said she knew about diamonds if I ever wanted to buy one. I got my coat.

I would try and explain where it is but..well, it depends where you come in. There's some big doors overlooking the main road, go in there, there should be big escalators in front of you (and on level 2, it's the info desk). Stay on level 1, go past the escalators, another 100+ yards and then turn right onto another avenue. Somewhere on the left, it's all sparkles.

Anyhow, the place offered a buy-back scheme where they promised I think exchange within however many days and 85% of the price within two years or something.

I did learn that there's issues about size and about clarity. A clearer stone can be more desirable than a larger one.

I'm not going to ask her, she'll only get her hopes up.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Batwoman
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Stressssed Oooooot

Post by Batwoman » 27th Jul, '10, 09:31

I would try Soo Kee Jewellery they have stores island wide

Ha Ha @ Fat Bob "I'm not going to ask her, she'll only get her hopes up" You already stepped into a jewellers with her it's too f'ing late.com

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 27th Jul, '10, 09:34

Batwoman wrote:
Ha Ha @ Fat Bob "I'm not going to ask her, she'll only get her hopes up" You already stepped into a jewellers with her it's too f'ing late.com
And she's educated you on cut and clarity! Too f'ing late indeed [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Edit: typo
Last edited by slinky on 27th Jul, '10, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 27th Jul, '10, 18:50

Fat Bob wrote:I did learn that there's issues about size .
Are you sure she was talking about a diamond? [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

kateyung

Post by kateyung » 9th Nov, '10, 22:57

I think am too late...but still couldnt help posting..cs the topic is really interesting..:P...i know this amazing place at Shaw Road called The Jewel Box, i buy my jewellery from there only...they have amazingg stufff...totally worth checking out...!!
Last edited by kateyung on 11th Nov, '10, 15:56, edited 2 times in total.

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 10th Nov, '10, 01:06

Best place to buy Jewelry in Singapore is Peoples Park complex- multitude of shops on 2nd floor
a veritable Jewelry bazaar

You need to know to negotiate w/the 'uncles' but you can get very nice deals

The DW has an incredible collection of stuff -most custom made from various shops around
Peoples park.Gold bracelets w/jade insets etc. Here in the US people pay top $$ for crap -Wife is always wishing she could go shopping for Jewelry again in SG

Also a good place to buy Jewelry is Golden Mile Complex - You have rub elbows w/Thai hookers converting earnings to harder currency (gold jewelry) but the quality is good & deals some of the best in Singapore

Diamond are a terrible investment -you can neve get your money back out. All these repurchase agreements are only valid when 'upgrading' to a bigger better diamond. I remember Aliya had a friend that needed cash for a high quality diamond & we talked about it here- almost impossible

think Gold Jewelry - most of the wife's Singapore Jewelry has more than doubled in price these days due to gold values
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 10th Nov, '10, 22:41

Forgot to update - tried Larry's, one shop the guys seemed a stand-up guy, got a quote which was reasonable, a day later I happened by the other Larry's, the guy there quoted me a higher price and no further discount on the same materials, I walked out.

On a recommendation went to the one on Orchard called Canary, they guy who helped me was very good, I can dig up his card if anyone needs more info.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 11th Nov, '10, 07:16

There's a little place downstairs in Paragon (left at the back on the ground floor), that seems pretty good to me. Not part of a big chain, knowledgeable and not pushy. Of course you are paying for Paragon rent. The 'high street' stores like Soo Kee are really pretty poor, and the likes of Larry's are just plain expensive. Of course you could just go to Tiffany and pay 50% more for diamond half the size, but of course it's all about the little blue box
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 11th Nov, '10, 07:41

Been shopping for diamonds BoD ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 11th Nov, '10, 08:40

There's a couple, one dark and one light, the lighter interior one is the 2nd Larry's I mentioned.
BoD wrote:There's a little place downstairs in Paragon (left at the back on the ground floor), that seems pretty good to me. Not part of a big chain, knowledgeable and not pushy. Of course you are paying for Paragon rent. The 'high street' stores like Soo Kee are really pretty poor, and the likes of Larry's are just plain expensive. Of course you could just go to Tiffany and pay 50% more for diamond half the size, but of course it's all about the little blue box

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 31st Dec, '10, 13:47

dolphin520 wrote:Image

Hi Everyone, did anyone see this necklace before. It is bought from Lee Hwa Jewelry, anyone know how much is this pendant together with the necklace?

If anyone know the nearly price for the pendant and necklace, please let me know. Your information will be greatly appreciated. Thousand Thanks for the information!

Have a nice day!
I have many years of experience in these matters; I would estimate the value at between $36,000 to $40,000.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Calatrava
Limp Member
Mood: Anxious

Post by Calatrava » 30th Apr, '13, 14:09

My friend has a website. She makes custom diamond jewellery. Its called Mahika. Do check it out!
Blame no one but yourself for any failures. Similarly any success is also all you and you alone.