Great new Gadget

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Bender
I post here professionally

Great new Gadget

Post by Bender » 18th Feb, '08, 07:28

About a week ago I bought a Belkin Network USB hub (I think that's what it's called, if not, that's what it is!). Small black box with an ethernet port and 5 x USB ports.

Basically it acts as an 'cross network' extension to the computer's USB ports. Allows sharing of printers, including the ones that scan/copy/etc., because for all intents and purposes the printer thinks it's connected to a local USB port. I'm using it to network a Topfield PVR, which up to now could only be networked by flashng a Linksys NSLU2 (making it useless for it's original purpose) and dedicating it to the Topfield. I've also got a Dymo label printer and a couple of Western Digital 500gb USB drives attached (they run fine, thanks ;) ). We're using a mix of XP and Vista machines.

Only possible 'issue' is that when a device is being used by one person it's not available to others on the network, but for printers the software attaches and releases the printer as needed, and for other devices the software allows you to request a device that another user has attached, causing a 'popup' to appear on the desktop of whoever's using it asking them to release it.

Normally I wouldn't rave about something like this (and I don't have anything to gain from doing so), but it has solved some problems we've had in a really simple and friendly way.

Now I'm shopping for a network switch with 16 or more ports - too many gadgets attached to the home network!
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Re: Great new Gadget

Post by Aliya » 18th Feb, '08, 10:30

You've got to speak English in the Geeks and Gadgets forum you lot!
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Bender

Post by Bender » 18th Feb, '08, 10:50

Aliya wrote:speak English in the Geeks and Gadgets forum
Bleep blort fzzt kxgargh qwoop!

Translates to: This is a "geeks" forum, how can any self-respecting geek be expected to not use techie talk? :roll: And I thought I was keeping it fairly non-tech...

I'll try again:

I bought a black box which you can plug things into. It's really good.

:)

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 18th Feb, '08, 10:51

What's the topfield like ? I see some good and some not so good reviews.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Bender

Post by Bender » 18th Feb, '08, 11:06

baloo wrote:What's the topfield like ?
In the interest of keeping things non-technical, it's black. And good.

And for the technically inclined, it's the SD one, TF5000PVRT Plack Panther. Have upgraded the HDD to 500gb and am running 'ProgressBarKeys' software on it (it has an open OS so you can run applications on it to give you different/enhanced functions). It's been a great machine, no problems and works just fine. We've had it for a few years.

We've also got a HD PVR, a Beyonwiz DP-somethingorother, the one with a hdd but no optical drive. Works fine, but it's early days and it needs some more firmware upgrades to be released before it reaches it's full potential and is as friendly as the Topfield. Doesn't handle SD upscaling terribly well, don't think any of the HD PVRs does (so we're keeping the Topfield). Connects to ethernet, which is nice, and the files don't need as much manipulation as the ones off the Topfield if you want to burn them to DVD using a PC.

We looked at the Topfield TF7000 HD PVR, but have heard of lots of problems, and it doesn't match the Beyonwiz for features and function.