Watch UK TV?

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Watch UK TV?

Post by Beesknees » 10th Oct, '10, 15:01

I got quite excited when I found this site http://www.watchuktv.co.uk/index.htm ...( oooo Coronation Street again :oops: ) but when I put my details in for a trial run it says proxies not allowed. I didn't think I was on a proxy (is that the terminology?). I'm not very good on the techie side of computers...can someone wise tell me whats up?

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Re: Watch UK TV?

Post by expat yorkshire » 10th Oct, '10, 15:55

I watch Uk tv using iplayer but you need a proxy server based in the uk

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 10th Oct, '10, 16:02

Mmmm EPY - sorry but I don't understand that*. If it's something that I need to be based in the UK can I organise that here in Singapore?

*told you I wasn't very technical!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Oct, '10, 18:48

iPlayer is what the BBC use for their online service, it's very good but yes, you do have to have a UK IP address in order for it to work. To get a UK IP address, you normally have to go through a UK proxy server, it can work to some degree.

BK, I'm unclear what you issues are with your current set up. You can check if you are currently using a proxy server by checking your internet settings. I've forgotten how to do that.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 11th Oct, '10, 00:15

i use a paid proxy server service. which connects your singapore connection to a uk server so bbc iplayer thinks you are in the uk .

so I am currently watching the new season of the apprentice on bcc iplayer sitting in Singapore , this also can get you access to channel4 on demand and itv player so you can watch corrie.

Watchukitv is just such a proxy but bbc are getting quite smart and they are blocking some proxy servers that they suspect are doing this .

If you have signed up to watchuktv and still cannot access it may be that bbc is blcoking their server specifically.
Last edited by expat yorkshire on 11th Oct, '10, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

Telboyofpeckham

Post by Telboyofpeckham » 13th Oct, '10, 15:57

A proxy server makes the UK websites believe that you are in the UK. Have a look at these two websites to get a good proxy service.

http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk/default.asp
https://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

My quick research is that using a free service may come with many viruses.

Here was a good explination from MacRumours Forum...

Idiots guide to watching BBC iplayer and BBC desktop iplayer outside of the UK England or Britain or watching BBC iplayer in the USA EU etc. ...

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers = this may be one of them.

But having just suffered through the learning curve myself, this is what I think I know:

OK for newbies: IP = Internet Provider. The Beeb checks to see where in the world you are located. This is done by checking your IP address. Just like a post code. If your IP address is not in the UK, then no content downloaded to you. (After all the rest of us TV license holders are paying a fortune for this, and other content such as Hollywood produced shows is licensed to the BBC for use only in GB.) But lets say you are a license holder and just temporarily out of the country and want to keep abreast:

You do this by finding a "Proxy Server". This is just like renting a mail box at some shop in London that subsequently forwards your mail to you. Now you can either start the eternal search for a free pigeon hole or just step up and pay about £5/mo to rent said IP Proxy Server. Just Google "Proxy Servers Britain" and sign up.

When you sign up you will get 4 pieces of information: an IP address, a Port Number, a user name and a password.

Now much like having your mail forwarded, the Proxy Server forwards your content. You just point your computer to the new server and let the content flow to you.

For those who are uncomfortable messing with all the settings in the Mac. Here is one way to "limit the damage".
Use Safari for all your regular web surfing and keep it as your primary web browser.

Then also down load FoxFire web browser for your BBC listening only. Foxfire has the ability to set Proxy settings without disturbing the rest of the computer.

Once Foxfire is installed
1; click on the tool bar "Foxfire";
2; select "Preferences";
3; click on "network", click the "Settings" button.
4: Click the button for "Manual proxy configuration"
5: Enter the "IP address" and "Port number" given to you by the Proxy Service
6: Click on "OK" and the dialogue box closes
7; close the underlying dialogue box by Clicking the red button (upper right hand corner)

in the browser address bar enter "bbc.co.uk" and ENTER
You will be asked for your user name and password (given to you by the Proxy Server)
You are ready to watch the BBC embedded iplayer in the FireFox browser.

The "BBC desktop player" requires you directly changing the network settings
(if you want to do this you might first book an advanced appointment at the Mac Store Genus Bar to undo the potential damage)

for Mac OS 10.5 it is the following clicks:

"Apple";
"System Preferences";
"Network";
"Advanced";
"Proxies";
Configure Proxies "Manually";

In Proxies you need to select and fill out the info in "Web Proxy", "Streaming Proxy" and "Socks Proxy"

When done with the BBC site, you only need to UN-CLICK the "Web Proxy", "Steaming Proxy" and "Socks Proxy" buttons. And you are back in the USA or where ever...

Not really that difficult.

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 14th Oct, '10, 14:44

isnt Coronation Street on Granada TV on Starhub?

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 14th Oct, '10, 18:59

Rosbif71 wrote:isnt Coronation Street on Granada TV on Starhub?
Probably (who watches Coronation Street ??!!)

EPY - thanks for the info you sent me. I'm still trying to absorb it all. For a non-techie person like myself it's going to take a little time!

itsnev

Post by itsnev » 24th Oct, '10, 06:17

I got quite excited when I found this site http://www.watchuktv.co.uk/index.htm ...( oooo Coronation Street again ) but when I put my details in for a trial run it says proxies not allowed
I got this too, so I email their support@watchuktv.co.uk and found that the reason they did this was to block the abuse of their free trial service where people where connecting via several proxies and taking a free trial again and again, fair enough I suppose. They sent me a free trial account the next day which I tested, however I did just have to register on their client portal first at no cost. Tested ok, then signed up for a 1 Months package.

So far so good..

Nev

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th Oct, '10, 06:41

Not sure if you guys outside Oz can use this?

http://www.smh.com.au/tv

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Jun, '11, 22:55

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

lovetravel0407
Lurker
Mood: Good

Post by lovetravel0407 » 11th Jul, '11, 14:49

thanks..any website can use?

caetlin
Lurker
Mood: great

Post by caetlin » 27th Mar, '12, 13:48

you can try uktvaccess,it's a good one...
I'm also really bad with computers :roll: but the manager was really patient with me and helped me set up...