Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Bluray player

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Feb, '12, 16:40

Which one to get?

Just got the Star Wars and Harry Potter Bluray sets from Amazon US, so will have to get a US coded one. I once read the region codes for AsiaPac are the same as the US, so should be OK there.

What else should I be looking for?

When I check out "best bluray players" on google, there's links to some of the expensive ones (Oppo one mainly) and some of the cheaper ones, but of course, no two sites have any consistentcy (which is different than for the AV receiver I've just bought).

Things I don't need: 3D, internet connectivity (I have a computer hooked up tot he TV that can do that)....well, most things really. I want to insert a disc and watch it. I've found that mostly, on these things, that all of the other stuff has a pretty crap user interface and really, is just not worth it.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Bluray player

Post by baloo » 27th Feb, '12, 16:48

If I was to buy one it would be an Oppo
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Feb, '12, 16:57

But why? What features does it bring above a $2-400 one? The Oppo 93 is ~$800 or more.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 27th Feb, '12, 17:01

Because everyone reckons its the dogs bolloks
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Feb, '12, 17:17

Hmmm....still a lot of money and few extra features (partly because we're in Singapore and can't get access to Netflix etc).

Poppy Appeal

dusty
Lurker
Mood: Happy

Post by dusty » 28th Feb, '12, 08:37

I have two, a Sony one from the UK and a Panasonic one I got for $159 in a Harvey Norman Sale in Singapore.

All I'd say is, make sure you get one with upgradeable firmware and a network port, this is important as the older it gets the longer stuff takes to load. Don't ask me why! :S

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 28th Feb, '12, 08:46

I just got mine free with the telly. Panasonic with surround sound. Personally not that convinced it makes a heck of a lot of difference.

edit: I have the proper Star Wars trilogy (it didn't exist before ep IV) and the Bourne trilogy, must admit they are nice to watch.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Feb, '12, 10:21

The more I look at the specs...looks like a basic non-3D one will do me. The Sony BDP380 has reasonable online content and obviously the network port, and is costing $190. If I spend another $100, then it's basically the same with 3D. Spending $800 on one to me seems preposterous: I've spent $900 on the amp and $1200 on the TV, why on earth spend so much on a bluray player?

If I ever get around to 3D then I'll upgrade the TV and bluray together, but so far nothing about 3D has made me want to adopt it (though I've yet to watch a movie in 3D because I hate the thought of the glasses, and really, the story is what I'm after!)

Did enjoy The Artist, happy that I've seen an Oscar winner which I liked.

Poppy Appeal

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 28th Feb, '12, 19:45

If you spend so much money on TV and amp then you should get an equal good bluray player... a bit like getting cheap speaker cables when the speakers and amp cost a fortune :D

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Feb, '12, 23:50

Hmmm...I don't think $900 for the amp is that expensive....nor $1200 for the TV. Hence my comments about $800 versus $300

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Mar, '12, 12:22

Went for the Sony BDP-s380. Connected it up just now, easy set up. If you insist on 3D, then buy the next one up (480/485 in Singapore - you get Karoke options too!) or a month or so for the BDP-S390, which looks a nice too. Supposedly, Sony has the best online offerings.

edit - and now testing it with Star Wars: A New Hope.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 4th Mar, '12, 14:41

Sony BluRays are great. i got the 480, because i couldn't get the 580 in Singapore at the time. they get great reviews (the PS3 allegedly still one of the better BluRays around).

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Mar, '12, 16:41

So where does one get bluray discs from?

You may think I ask a stupid question, but amazon at the mo are tending to sell the 2- or 3-disc special which includes a Bluray, DVD and digital copy. I don't care about the DVD as I bought a Bluray player, and I'm not overly worried about digital copy as I can make my own should I want it.

I've got a region 1 or region A player, so US/Canada would be best.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 5th Mar, '12, 08:46

i get most of them from Amazon US. usually a big pile to spread out the shipping costs.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Mar, '12, 11:23

Yeah, just seen that 2 discs will cost US$13 to ship to Singapore. I saw that on the Harry Potter and Star Wars box sets and didn't worry as I thought it was due to the box sets...obviously their prices have gone up! Brings the UK back into play. Hmmmm...may have to get a UK disc sent to see if I can region unlock the thing.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 5th Mar, '12, 16:12

Fat Bob wrote: Hmmmm...may have to get a UK disc sent to see if I can region unlock the thing.
nope, you won't be able to. it's a different system thanb the DVD thing. there are no multi region BR players, there are only multi-region discs, as not all BluRays are limited to either one of the regions.