Battery problems with Galaxy Note or Galaxy anything perhaps

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Battery problems with Galaxy Note or Galaxy anything perhaps

Post by Kooky » 13th Jun, '12, 18:20

(No I do not want to buy a fucking Nexus S.)

Neo updated my operating system :( He does meddle.

My battery used to last about three days, now it's lasting about 13 hours. Anybody had similar problems, or got any ideas what might be causing it, or how to fix it?

I've turned off most of my notifications (used to get 2 * email accounts, 2* calendars, and Facebook Messenger), but no improvement. I've looked at the Battery usage page and it seems most of it is down to the OS.

I will look it up on forums (or more productively have Neo do so) but I know a few of you like Android and have been using it longer than I have, so thought I'd ask here too.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: Battery problems with Galaxy Note or Galaxy anything per

Post by canuck » 13th Jun, '12, 18:40

Smack the meddler.... Only option ;)

Just kidding.... Can you roll back OS?

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 13th Jun, '12, 18:43

Apparently the android forum suggests draining the battery completely and giving it a chance to re-calibrate. If that doesn't do anything, to wipe it.

If that doesn't do anything, Neo may find himself without his new HTC ;)

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 14th Jun, '12, 09:35

If it's an upgrade to the latest Android version (4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich), there is no turning back. I've upgraded my phone but there's no difference in power consumption. Maybe because it's not a Samsung phone.

Turning wi-fi off will save battery, but then if you have data connection it will still drain power. You might also want to adjust the screen brightness, and shorten the time it takes to go into sleep mode to save power.

The complete drain sounds like a good idea, although I'm not sure wiping (as in, resetting it to the factory settings?) will do anything. But then I've never done it so don't take my word for it.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 14th Jun, '12, 10:05

I've been told a few times that you need to let batteries fully drain and fully recharge on a regular basis to maintain their charge time (that was from computer person, and another time from a phone person). Otherwise after a bit of time the battery tends to operate within a type of bandwidth, basically the time to discharge time becomes shorter, efficiency and all that....
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Jun, '12, 10:33

Upgraded mine from 2.1 to 2.3 a year ago, came across similar problems, not sure how I fixed it. I think one of the problems of smartphone battery life in general is that we use them too much. Hell, I bet you're activating your phone every 5 mins to check the battery levels!

With an old Nokia, I used it for texts and phone calls. I could go 2-3 days without a recharge. Now, when I'm abroad, data roaming off, smartphone in the safe, then the battery lasts a similar amount of time.

The full discharge may be useful. It's important early in the life of the battery, and can give it a bit of a resuscitation later in life, but in all honesty, there's probably something working in the background draining said battery.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal