iTunes 11

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

iTunes 11

Post by Sardonicus » 5th Feb, '13, 17:40

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of having to upgrade to this version?

Software is supposed to get better with upgrades, isnt't it?

Am now looking to downgrade to v10. Serves me right for even using it in the first place, but that's because I've used it since the beginning.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Re: iTunes 11

Post by Jedi » 5th Feb, '13, 17:46

Seems you're not the only one.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2018296 ... users.html

I would never touch iTunes.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 5th Feb, '13, 19:00

Just downgraded to v10.7, much better.

But I really need a better media library tool.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 6th Feb, '13, 12:18

I stopped upgrading after version 10 because every time I upgraded I ended up with duplicates of most of my tracks. I now have 10 copies of some tracks and without manually going through more than 5,000 songs and deleting copies I'm stuck with them [smilie=23_3.gif]
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 6th Feb, '13, 13:03

Spike wrote:I stopped upgrading after version 10 because every time I upgraded I ended up with duplicates of most of my tracks. I now have 10 copies of some tracks and without manually going through more than 5,000 songs and deleting copies I'm stuck with them [smilie=23_3.gif]
or you could hit file display duplicates and then delete them

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 6th Feb, '13, 14:19

well convinced the IT folk to help me upgrade whatever version I had because I couldn't buy stuff anymore suddenly, and got sick of the little message. Dunno what version it is, only did last week. So don't seem to have anything too weird going on. But the think shitting me too tears is for love nor money can I work out how to 'shuffle'. I like just turning on an whatever order happens happens. Nor can I suss out quite how to mix up the play list order after selecting a genre, unless I clear it all out and pick one by one. Gone through all the pull down bars and tried just moving them around with a mouse, nothing real obvious yet.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 6th Feb, '13, 14:42

I'll admit, iTunes 11 takes some getting used to and there are a couple of buggy type things I think they need to fix/change, but if you give it a chance, it's not a bad way to have it organized and displayed.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 6th Feb, '13, 14:45

Tas - go to the Controls menu at the top, select 'Shuffle' and then 'turn on shuffle'. Then you can choose whether to shuffle by song, album or grouping.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 6th Feb, '13, 16:09

Tas - I can't see the v11 menu now that I've uninstalled it, but there is an option to uncheck the automatic updates, in v10.7 is under Edit>Preferences>General - it's one of the first things I do with a lot of applications.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 6th Feb, '13, 16:40

Slinks, it was not intuitive to drag and drop files to my iPod (the only piece of Apple kit I have except my PC keyboard, and my last), which was easy with the last rev.

I couldn't get a separate window open to see both the PC library and the iPod library to monitor the capacity, see the playlists, etc. And they hide the menu.

I didn't like it when it first loaded, struck me as user-unfriendly, and it went downhill from there. I just couldn't be arsed with this app and went back to the old one. Per the link Jedi posted and a few others, there is more noise about this rev than previous ones, little of it good.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 6th Feb, '13, 18:24

expat yorkshire wrote:
Spike wrote:I stopped upgrading after version 10 because every time I upgraded I ended up with duplicates of most of my tracks. I now have 10 copies of some tracks and without manually going through more than 5,000 songs and deleting copies I'm stuck with them [smilie=23_3.gif]
Brilliant, so I did that, file - display duplicates - select all - delete and now I seem to have 315 songs left out of 5,000. F**k :o
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 6th Feb, '13, 19:38

Spike wrote:
expat yorkshire wrote:
Brilliant, so I did that, file - display duplicates - select all - delete and now I seem to have 315 songs left out of 5,000. F**k :o
Restore your trash or recycle bin (whatever it's called). Just don't empty it.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 7th Feb, '13, 03:06

Seems OK to me. I mean not brilliant, and still annoying at times, but not worse kind of OK
We are the TPF

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 7th Feb, '13, 10:32

where, oh, where can i get an old version of iTunes?!?! [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif]

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 7th Feb, '13, 10:46

http://www.oldversion.com

I love this site, have used it more than a few times.

Edit: To add, I got my iTunes v10.7 from the iTunes site. It works fine, though I considered v10.6 from the oldversion site.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 7th Feb, '13, 12:10

did that shuffle thing, it's on, but what to I click on to actually shuffle the tunes? Before I just clicked on teh shuffle icon. I've lost it or can't work out which icon it is???? The wibbly wobbly arrow lines aren't it. Geez, it was definitely easier before, it was just there lol
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 7th Feb, '13, 13:41

Once you've turned shuffle on, you just hit the play icon at the top & it will shuffle :)

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 7th Feb, '13, 14:03

Sardonicus wrote:http://www.oldversion.com

I love this site, have used it more than a few times.

Edit: To add, I got my iTunes v10.7 from the iTunes site. It works fine, though I considered v10.6 from the oldversion site.
cheers, mate...

JaniceM
Limp Member
Mood: Fine

Post by JaniceM » 15th Feb, '13, 15:59

heyy...even I'm kinda having certain issues with the iTunes 11 ...planning to downgrade to iTunes 10! :(

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 10th Mar, '13, 12:03

Morrolan wrote:where, oh, where can i get an old version of iTunes?!?! [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif]
Update on this - found out that even v10 doesn't have the Convert To mp3 facility that used to be there, plus iTunes now places the Podcasts folder outside iTunes Music, which makes for a lot of copying. Dissatisfied with all that, I've gone back to v9.2.1.

There is an additional site call oldapps.com - I picked it up from there this time.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 10th Mar, '13, 15:35

I use Switch Sound File Converter for converting audio files. It tackles most formats and is easy to download and use.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 11th Mar, '13, 08:37

Sardonicus wrote:
Morrolan wrote:where, oh, where can i get an old version of iTunes?!?! [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif]
Update on this - found out that even v10 doesn't have the Convert To mp3 facility that used to be there, plus iTunes now places the Podcasts folder outside iTunes Music, which makes for a lot of copying. Dissatisfied with all that, I've gone back to v9.2.1.

There is an additional site call oldapps.com - I picked it up from there this time.
i'm back to V10 now. much better. [smilie=groovy.gif]