Cloud storage

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Cloud storage

Post by expat yorkshire » 17th Mar, '13, 21:39

Looking for advice on the best provider for Cloud Storage .

I have 400Gb that I would like to store for long term back up .

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Re: Cloud storage

Post by Jedi » 18th Mar, '13, 06:34

Start here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7388&p=107836&hili ... ox#p107836

ps. 400gb is a lot for cloud storage. Hope you have a super fast upload pipe.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 18th Mar, '13, 07:47

Was looking for more of an archive solution . I don't need day to day access to these files .

Has anybody used Amazon glacier storage ?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 18th Mar, '13, 08:02

I'd agree about the size. 400GB is an awful lot. Could you just have a network media server rather than paying for Cloud Storage?

I use Skydrive and am impressed with the simpleness of it, however, that's more useful for key documents that are synced across multiple computers/the cloud. 100GB of extra space is $65/year. Doesn't give an option for 400GB.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 18th Mar, '13, 08:33

I have a 3 tb western digital external hard drive which I have been using as a primary backup source. After using it for a week it failed and I sent it back to Western digital , I took them 6 weeks to return it and now after only a few months it has failed again.

Although nothing is lost as I ( as i still have the original files ) It could have been a big issue, that was my reason for considering cloud storage.

Amazon Glacier, pricing is $0.01 per gigabyte per month but i dont know whether it has a user friendly interface

Baloo are you using this ?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 18th Mar, '13, 09:20

At home I have an unraid server as the main storage plus a qnap 419P as a backup. Al important files are on Dropbox and skydive. All photos are on Picasa.

If I needed true backup on the cloud I'd probably go with Crashplan. But amazon glacier doesn't look bad either.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 18th Mar, '13, 15:38

expat yorkshire wrote:I have a 3 tb western digital external hard drive which I have been using as a primary backup source. After using it for a week it failed and I sent it back to Western digital , I took them 6 weeks to return it and now after only a few months it has failed again.
I can't offer any advice as I am considering this at the moment as well. Just wanted to ask if you had those disks RAIDed.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 18th Mar, '13, 20:27

Sardonicus wrote:
expat yorkshire wrote:I have a 3 tb western digital external hard drive which I have been using as a primary backup source. After using it for a week it failed and I sent it back to Western digital , I took them 6 weeks to return it and now after only a few months it has failed again.
I can't offer any advice as I am considering this at the moment as well. Just wanted to ask if you had those disks RAIDed.
What is RAIDed?

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 18th Mar, '13, 20:57

expat yorkshire wrote:What is RAIDed?
I think you just answered the question.

It's a way of duplicating your information, supposedly, in case of disk loss. Many people get multiple drives and set them to RAID1, so if you have 2 1tb drives configured as RAID1, you have 1tb of storage mirrored across the two drives.

You still need to back up the data though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx