The Official RWC 2011 Thread

From basketball to xtreme, this is the place for sports watching and viewing!

Moderator: Fat Bob

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Re: The Official RWC 2011 Thread

Post by daffodil » 1st Oct, '11, 19:11

France were truly awful by all accounts. Still they are through and should meet (ugly) England next providing Argentina stick to the script tomorrow ;)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 2nd Oct, '11, 17:22

Wow some interesting rugby this weekend.... NZ not big enough for all the Irish flocking there :)
Im Really unhappy about and for Dan Carter.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 2nd Oct, '11, 18:36

Nicely done Wales and Ireland, and a meet up next Saturday in the 1/4's! Going to be some really tight games, methinks.

What a turnaround for Wales and Fiji from the result of 4 years ago when the PI's hussled us out of the competion. Wales time is a coming ! [smilie=groovy.gif]

As for Carter, it's a shame to hear his WC is over as it is for any other of the injured players that are out of the next stages.
Last edited by daffodil on 2nd Oct, '11, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Oct, '11, 19:33

Well, I got the points totally wrong but the quarter final draw is picked correctly. Gotta take some heart in that!

Ireland: looked very strong but Italy were hampered as soon as Castrogivani went off. The Italian scrum was just not the same, and Castro is a huge talisman for them.

Wales: their backs looked very good, tearing apart a weak Fijian defence. To me, the pick of the quarter finals will be the Ire;and Wales game.

England: shockingly ugly win, but if we win the next three games just as ugly then I'll be (eventually) pleased.

France: missed the game against Tonga: shock score indeed

South Africa Samoa was a great game and the jaapies proved they can win even when not playing well. Heard Francois Steyn is out: the man with a 60m boot. That'll hurt them.

NZ will miss Carter. Big time.

Aussies played against Russia which didn't really show us anything, whilst Argentina struggled against Georgia somewhat.

Will be picking up a case or two of beer to watch the next games.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 2nd Oct, '11, 21:01

If Wales beat Ireland, I'll be picking up a case of Veuve.

Or a ticket to New Zealand ;)
Last edited by daffodil on 2nd Oct, '11, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 3rd Oct, '11, 05:12

My big worry is that if Australia lose to South Africa Channel Nine might stop showing the tournament. Not that they've shown very much anyway. It's about time television rights came with a proviso that whatever you've bought rights for must be shown.

Watched the game last night on the ITV feed. Two tries disallowed for no good reason at all, but it didn't matter much. The groups stages are over, the bonus point is a thing of the past. The tournament proper begins.

Unless you're Scottish.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 3rd Oct, '11, 10:18

Daff, Mr PP is convinced they will make it this time around...you Wales supporters are true dreamers aren't you! I must have got about 10 sms from him during that match about how the future may plan out. LOL
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 3rd Oct, '11, 11:08

A rugby view through some very rose-tinter specs!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 3rd Oct, '11, 11:22

Whilst Ben Dirs gives a great view on the Celtic Quarter Final. Hope you knock lumps out of each other and soften yourselves up for the semi.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 3rd Oct, '11, 11:51

Pinklepurr wrote:Daff, Mr PP is convinced they will make it this time around...you Wales supporters are true dreamers aren't you! I must have got about 10 sms from him during that match about how the future may plan out. LOL
Mr PP sounds like a damn good man to me! :D

As for the Celtic quarters, FB, indeed should be a great match. Hope Ireland don't take too much out of us before we meet France the following weekend [smilie=tease.gif]

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 3rd Oct, '11, 12:09

daffodil wrote:
Pinklepurr wrote:Daff, Mr PP is convinced they will make it this time around...you Wales supporters are true dreamers aren't you! I must have got about 10 sms from him during that match about how the future may plan out. LOL
Mr PP sounds like a damn good man to me! :D

As for the Celtic quarters, FB, indeed should be a great match. Hope Ireland don't take too much out of us before we meet France the following weekend [smilie=tease.gif]
Stuffed leek followed by grilled escargots should make a nice appetiser before we pluck a few kiwis for the roasting pan.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 4th Oct, '11, 12:19

Oh no .... Steve Walsh is the ref for England vs. France

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Oct, '11, 13:09

Doesn't really bother me. Yes, he has an atitude problem, but England have to deal with it. England's pressing problem is the number of penalties they have given away. Eventually, a ref like Steve Walsh will correctly go for a yellow card. England can not afford to let that happen in these crucial stages.

Joubert is ref for the Ireland Wales game, probably the best ref out there at the mo, whilst Nigel Owens (who has had some shocking games) takes the NZ Argentina game and Bryce Lawrence the South Africa Australia (can't say Lawrence stands out as a good or a bad ref).

Let's just hope the games are what they are billed to be.

My feeling now is*:

Ireland to beat Wales by 13 points with a total in the 30s. Ithink it'll be high scoring, with 2-3 tries per team and ROG kicking everything.

England to beat France in a gritty, match by 6 points. Mostly kicks, maybe a try per team.

NZ to trounce Argentina. Argentina have lost umpteen players and really will have difficulty against the home team. I'm thinking 30+ points difference.

South Africa versus Australia: I can see this going either way: depending on how each team plays. If the Aussie forward actually get any ball, the backs will rip up the Boks, but that South African bunch of forwards are the most grizzled out there and they have good kickers from mostly anywhere on the park. I'll stick my neck out for South Africa by 9 points.

* - My feeling may well change, and change back again, and then do a flip and in the end, I'll be twice round the Universe and up my own bum with my view. There again, people my already think my opinion has come from my bottom, so *shrug*

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 5th Oct, '11, 08:41

Looks like Flood and Jonny are both playing .....

Lets hope that Flood can play the supporting role for Jonny that Mike Catt did in the last World Cup

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Oct, '11, 14:53

Which website you read that on?

edit - 12 hours later and can only find speculation and suggestion from former players. Mike Catt did say on Sunday that Tindal should step down and put Flood in at 12, personally I prefer Flood to play at 10 so if he's going to be in the starting line-up, he should stay in it.

Remember, Flood was first choice fly half for the whole of the 6N, being dropped after a single poor performance when the whole team performed badly. Jonny now has 3 games with poor kicking stats. Surely that's enough reason to swap the starter?
Last edited by Fat Bob on 5th Oct, '11, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 6th Oct, '11, 08:47

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... entre.html

I agree with FB I would also pick Flood at 10 , Wilko appears to have lost all his confidence in kicking and given the type of game England play we need to make penalties count .
Last edited by expat yorkshire on 6th Oct, '11, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 6th Oct, '11, 09:49

But that was only posted this morning, 24 hours after you posted!

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 6th Oct, '11, 11:52

I have the inside track Bob

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 7th Oct, '11, 07:14

Oooh! Rugby strutting!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Oct, '11, 15:50

I've spent all afternoon f#cking around on Facebook etc chatting about the games tomorrow. Oh, and sending emails to a bunch of retarded taffs who think this is good:

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 7th Oct, '11, 19:23

Countdown to a (hopefully) good weekend of rugby is on! Although, as has been pointed out to me, given so much at stake it might not be pretty, a win being a win etc. Then again, by around 1430 tomorrow I may be past caring....

Aside from the NZ / Argentina game, think the others will be close and go with England and SA to make it through to the semis. And for Wales to beat Ireland notwithstanding their underdog status, probably going heart over head here but someone has to and it might as well be Daff ;)

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 7th Oct, '11, 20:08

I think the Ireland Wales game will be a classic.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 8th Oct, '11, 17:04

10 mins to go. This is going to be interesting.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 8th Oct, '11, 20:01

looks like the swing broke.
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 8th Oct, '11, 22:23

er I think you mean the chariot. Swing is used as a verb in this case

Oh, and Bugger!