6N

From basketball to xtreme, this is the place for sports watching and viewing!

Moderator: Fat Bob

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

6N

Post by daffodil » 6th Feb, '12, 14:55

First weekend over!

Wins for France (predicted), England (not predicted) - didn't see the latter game but thought Italy played well in the first half, France just too good in the second.

As for the game of the round - Wales edged out Ireland in the last minute of a superb match - 1/2P is the man [smilie=groovy.gif] . Some stellar performances by Jonathan Davies, North, Phillips and Ryan Jones. Shameful tip tackle by Bradley Davies, he will deservedly be in for long suspension.

Looking forward to next weekend....Italy v England, France v Ireland (should be a cracker), Wales v Scotland at The Millenium.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: 6N

Post by Fat Bob » 6th Feb, '12, 15:34

Was a tough game between Ireland and Wales, and it went down to the wire. Enjoyed watching it as a Guinness-drinking, green shirted neutral.

England Scotland game was poor from both sides. Scotland had too many handling errors, England just didn't seem to know how to play. However, a win is a win so happy there.

France did what they had to do over Italy and got the result they needed.

Best of luck to all teams next weekend - I'm head to Phnom Penh to watch the England game!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Feb, '12, 07:49

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 10th Feb, '12, 12:20

Expecting them to fall further after Sunday's match ;)

Another big game for Ireland against France, think the home side will get up as should England against Italy.

Can't wait!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Feb, '12, 13:23

Yeah, I did see somewhere that Scotland were looking to outplay Wales. HA!!!

Think you're right in the calls for France and Wales too. Funny - no team that won last week is playing against another team that won. I suppose this will give all teams, should they advance with 2 wins, no where to hide when it comes to the next game!

Saturday, 11 February 2012
RBS Six Nations
France v Ireland, 20:00
Italy v England, 16:00
Sunday, 12 February 2012
RBS Six Nations
Wales v Scotland, 15:00

Saturday, 25 February 2012
England v Wales, 16:00
Ireland v Italy, 13:30

Sunday, 26 February 2012
Scotland v France, 15:00

Saturday, 10 March 2012
Ireland v Scotland, 17:00
Wales v Italy, 14:30

Sunday, 11 March 2012
France v England, 15:00

Saturday, 17 March 2012
England v Ireland, 17:00
Italy v Scotland, 12:30
Wales v France, 14:45

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 10th Feb, '12, 15:16

Hopefully it will take a lot more than a closed roof The Millenium for that !

Confident about the England game ?

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Post by Monkey Hanger » 10th Feb, '12, 16:21

Fancy Italy this weekend. Decent performance last week and I thought the scoreline didn't reflect all their good work.
England's front five are in for a v tough opening 20 minutes.

Italy by 6.
-------------
France-Ireland: tough one for Ireland after last week's dissapointing effort at home.

France by 9.

-------------------

Wales-Scotland: should be a tight contest..........yeah right!

Wales by 12.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Feb, '12, 17:05

England by 10 - can't see the Italians putting in 80 mins of rugby against a side with superior fitness. Italians give away too many penalties to worry too much.

France by 10 - Ireland will be hurting from last week's game but the French have the home advantage and the Irish are starting to look a bit old.

Wales by 14. Scotland have some promise but in all reality, I was conservative by putting Wales by only 14. Or did I put 17 in Superbru?

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 10th Feb, '12, 17:41

Love the confidence there MH, just not sure if Italy can really sustain their performance long enough to win this time around.

England by 12
France by 9
Wales by 12

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 10th Feb, '12, 18:27

Yeah, I can't really disagree with you both on past performances but I just have a sneaky that England wont be able to pull back the lead I expect Italy to put on the board early doors.

Let's see. Should be a cracking weekend.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 10th Feb, '12, 19:10

Indeed, love the 6N [smilie=groovy.gif]

Particularly when the Boyos get off to good start....

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Feb, '12, 18:22

Saw this comment in the Torygraph:

Robinson walking on thin ice
Scotland coach’s self-respect and reputation are on the line.

Surely any Englishman who manages the Scottish rugby team must already have lost all self-respect?

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 12th Feb, '12, 19:20

Speaking of thin ice, was some around in Paris last night apparently! Bit of a bugger for the supporters, particularly the Irish but they live to fight again etc!

Italy must be well gutted and ruing missed kicks after leading going into the second half, tough conditions for both teams though :o

A few more hours 'til Wales take on the Scots, fingers crossed our front row hold up and Warburton too who hasn't trained since coming off during the Ireland game.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Feb, '12, 01:45

I think the big issue was not making a decision earlier. I've got no idea why a game is kicking off at 9pm on any night, least of all a Saturday night. And doing it mid-winter is just asking for it.

Wales beat the Scots with a 3-try blitz after half time. First half started with spirit but turned a little bit into directionless kicking. Wales came out after half time with intent and boy did it work. The last 20 saw a consolation for the Scots but was still mostly Wales. Until the Scots learn to convert some close-to-try-line pressure into points then they will ever be the loser.

The games in a fortnight bring the big game of Wales v England at Twickers on a Saturday afternoon. Wales will want to show they can win twice away, England will want to show their close wins in Edinburgh and Rome aren't just lucky.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 13th Feb, '12, 11:46

It was some game for sure!

The Scots probably played just better than Wales in the first half, great defensive rugby by both sides and felt relieved to be all square at half time. Second half and Scots made a shambles of the restart, had a definite try disallowed, then got yellow cards....Wales capitalised and never looked liked losing the lead.

YAY! [smilie=groovy.gif]

Nice little break next weekend which should see some of our injured players back - Warbuton, AWJ, North and a couple more back to peak fitness for the England game. Bring it on!! :D

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 13th Feb, '12, 16:33

[quote="Monkey Hanger"]

Italy by 6.

quote]

Bloomin useless South African kicker! Cost me 20 quid :(

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Feb, '12, 16:49

I think your poor choice of winners and margin cost you 20 quid.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 13th Feb, '12, 18:02

Monkey Hanger wrote:
Monkey Hanger wrote:
Italy by 6.

quote]

Bloomin useless South African kicker! Cost me 20 quid :(
"I've never met a nice South African".... [smilie=tease.gif]

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 16th Feb, '12, 19:31

So the France - Ireland game is rescheduled to Sunday March 4 @ 4pm, bit tough on the Irish fans as guess it would mean an overnighter for most.

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 17th Feb, '12, 00:10

Immediately after the game was called off on Saturday there was a lot of talk around the game being played the first weekend in March. Ryanair published fares Dublin/Paris apparently (allegedly) jumped approx eur100 per return within 15mins! Our Michael doesn't miss a trick..

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 17th Feb, '12, 01:38

Monkey Hanger wrote:Immediately after the game was called off on Saturday there was a lot of talk around the game being played the first weekend in March. Ryanair published fares Dublin/Paris apparently (allegedly) jumped approx eur100 per return within 15mins! Our Michael doesn't miss a trick..
To be sure, to be sure ;)

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 25th Feb, '12, 00:18

Another 6N weekend and the talk is all on the Wales v England game of course! More of that later...

First up -Ireland v Italy with both sides seeking their first win of the tournament, Ireland at home should win comfortably.
Can't see Scotland beating France on Sunday unless the French have one of their very ho-hum days unfortunately.

Wales - well, if the home hype is to be believed we've already won the Triple Crown, Slam and 2015 RWC as well. Having witnessed numerous Welsh "new (false) dawns", a bit of perspective is in order. Plus having won only once in the last 23 years at Twickenham indicates this one is by no means a certainty.

On the plus side, largely injury free squad - though personally would have played Hook with chicken pox to see which English player had the cojones to tackle him ;) England 2/2 so far, must be feeling confident for the win tomorrow.

I'll go for a narrow win for Wales . Gloating allowed.*

* Applicable to Welsh fans only, FB and MH to take note.

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 25th Feb, '12, 19:56

Should be good.

Ireland by 16
France by 18
England by 1 ;)

Good luck with the gloating! Here's hoping it's a cracker!! I think Co Jones is on the bench.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 26th Feb, '12, 18:23

Wales V England - great test match, edge of the seat stuff for both sides really! I could barely stand the wait at the end, nerve wrackingly close.

Not the best performance by Wales, though being down to 14 guys when The Priest got a yellow card yet only conceding 3 points (plus scoring 3 ourselves in the period) showed a huge difference in our mental toughness and seemed to turn the game our way. Credit to England for playing way better than most had predicted, Tuilagi (sp?) had a blinder...how come we didn't poach him? :)

For Wales - Warburton was a Star, well deserved MOM, 1/2P was excellent as was Ryan Jones when he came on. Not too many injuries hopefully, though Roberts not sounding so good....then again, with Scott Williams as replacement....!!

So, no gloating frrm me...................well perhaps just a really tiny, tiny one.....first ever TC at Twickers for us....so....

I LOVE MY TEAM [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Feb, '12, 11:35

That was a try, no doubt about it! Poor officiating by the ref, assistant and TV ref. Poor indeed!

Anyhow, well done Wales, a good Triple Crown.

Tuilagi had a blinder, and Farrell looked good too. However, England still not being exceptional in attack, there again, Wales attack also blunted somewhat.

France did Scotland over whilst Ireland did what they needed to over Italy. England have a tough run in now with France and Ireland, whilst Wales could be looking forward to a Grand Slam decider against France in 3 weeks time. The France Ireland re-match is next Sunday, and coupled with the business end of the Aviva Premiership and Heinekin Cup, and the Super 15 starting up, then rugby viewing over the next few months is going to get good!

Poppy Appeal