6N

From basketball to xtreme, this is the place for sports watching and viewing!

Moderator: Fat Bob

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Re: 6N

Post by Monkey Hanger » 27th Feb, '12, 16:04

A cracker indeed! I thought there was some v very good stuff played by both teams. The way Wales started I feared Eng were in for a hiding but they showed a lot of guts and had a real go. Agree with you Daff, I think the key was the 10 minutes with Priestland in the bin....excellent control by Wales.

And no way on earth could the officials have awarded that "try" at the end.

Another fine kicking performance too by my mate Botes at the Aviva.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 27th Feb, '12, 20:51

Guess that non-try will be debated for some time! Watching the replays I tend to agree MH, from one angle it looked good but really not sure Strettle grounded it despite his protests in the press....but then again I am looking at it from a different (and relieved) perspective!

We should get a win over Italy at The Millennium, and would be great if the Irish and English boys could soften up the froggies for us for our final game. Diolch yn Fawr ;)

Doesn't sound like France had one of their better days against Scotland, hope they are not saving themselves for the end!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Feb, '12, 15:30

daffodil wrote:Guess that non-try will be debated for some time! Watching the replays I tend to agree MH, from one angle it looked good but really not sure Strettle grounded it despite his protests in the press....but then again I am looking at it from a different (and relieved) perspective!
Hmmm...I suppose not as much as "that tackle", or if we bring the kiwis into it "that forward pass" or "that poisoned food"....:D

Yeah, probably one-eyed about it too, but to me, from the front on picture I saw from the BBC it seemed it was grounded, and the side on picture shows that, if it had been grounded, it could have only been grounded over the line. But hey, there's no "should of's" in sport!
daffodil wrote: We should get a win over Italy at The Millennium, and would be great if the Irish and English boys could soften up the froggies for us for our final game. Diolch yn Fawr ;)
Agree, you should, and should set up a corker of a final weekend, with a possible Grand Slam decider (Wales v France) and possibly the Wooden Spoon Decider too (Italy v Scotland). England and Ireland will both be playing for pride, though of course, both England and Ireland have got France to play so could end up with some funny permutations. However, can't see England putting on the points difference even if we do win against the Frogs and Paddies.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 29th Feb, '12, 19:36

Agree FB, it was that close and one set of supporters was always going to cry foul over such a critical decision like that one. Had it been given, can only imagine the stress on that final conversion kick....and I'm not just thinking about Toby here!!

Oh and no crying about "that tackle" from me by the way, what's done etc though we still should have won that game anyway.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 5th Mar, '12, 10:51

Ireland must be well disappointed to end up with a draw against France, the latter having a pretty slow, poor first half. Ireland indiscipline cost them a fair lead in the second, though France appeared to wake up a bit too.

So, only Wales left on for the Grand Slam, and I guess England are in with a chance for the championship too! The Boyos need to rack up a big score against Italy in Cardiff next week to at least make the championship.

Going to be an interesting weekend ahead - France will surely play better against England, Ireland out to prove a point against the Scots, and Wales will have the pressure of the Slam just around the corner.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 13th Mar, '12, 13:51

Interesting weekend and another coming up!

Seems like the bad France turned up against England, which probably means the good one will front up on Saturday against Wales. Bugger.

Wales didn't play at their best against Italy who defended like their lives depended upon it. In fact, Wales' performance doesn't look to have improved since the opening game against Ireland and we'll need to step up against France if we are to win the Slam. Hopefully Sam will be back, I just don't rate Gethin Jones as captain and looking like a pretty full (injury free) squad to choose from too. The level of expectation in Wales is as expected (hysterical) so bring it on I say!

Didn't see the Ireland v Scotland game, really the Scots will have a tough time against Italy to avoid the Wooden Spoon this year.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Mar, '12, 15:27

Saw all three games:

Wales v Italy - Wales played poorly indeed and will need to up their game. There again, Italy do play disruptive rugby and I think will pull down most sides to their level.

Scotland v Ireland - Good win by Ireland and Scotland just not looking exciting at all. The Wooden Spoon race in Rome next week may be something to cheer about.

The main event, Le Crunch, England v France - France looked out of sorts, England looked good in parts. Bonus for England - they took their chances well, scored three fantastic tries, and the game was a humdinger! Negatives - rarely did England create chances, a better French kicker(s) would have knocked us off, and too many penalties.

I'd gone for an England win but that was my heart, not my head speaking. Obviously the rugby gods looked kindly on my picks.

Next week, my tips are:
(all time Singapore)
8:30pm - Scotland to lose to Italy, Scotland take the wooden spoon.
10:45pm - Wales to.....no, I don't want to say it....sod it, will put on my England shirt for this one....lose to France by 10 points as the French come sprinting out of their blocks.
1:00am - England to beat Ireland....

England need to turn over a points difference of 38 points....is that likely to happen in order for England to reclaim the title? Or will my heart be broken before the anthems are sung?

Gonna be a long day but am looking forward to it big style!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 13th Mar, '12, 17:01

Looking forward to it as well.

C'Mon....

Scotland
Ireland

Oh and of course...WALES [smilie=groovy.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 18th Mar, '12, 12:41

Well done Wales, it's never easy to do a Grand Slam and this year you've done it. Third one in 10 years, gotta be taking something forward from there.

England - fantastic destruction of the Irish pack. It started from there and went forward. England's forwards have grown in stature over the championship and it'll be interesting to see what happens now.

Scotland - good on you for winning the wooden spoon. Andy Robinson - couldn't happen to a nastier man. If Robinson is in the same position in 1 months time then really, Scotland have no idea where their rugby is going.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 19th Mar, '12, 21:36

Ok, so I only got one out of three right.....but the most important one of course!!

Was jumping out of my seat... skin...whatever, that clock seemed stuck on 79 minutes and it was a great feeling to watch Priestland kick out the final penalty to end the match and seal the deserved Grand Slam for Wales.

I LOVE MY TEAM ! CYMRU AM BYTH !

[goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif] [goteam.gif]

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 28th Mar, '12, 12:24