British and Irish Lions Tour to Australia -June/July 2013

From basketball to xtreme, this is the place for sports watching and viewing!

Moderator: Fat Bob

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

British and Irish Lions Tour to Australia -June/July 2013

Post by Fat Bob » 1st May, '13, 15:07

Looking forward to this big time. Been planning my trip since June last year and now the squad is announced it seems like it's happening. The games start on June 1st in Hong Kong against the Barbarians, and culminate in 3 tests against the Wallabies in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney finishing on 6th July.

The squad was announced last night. My feelings? I'm a little concerned that the squad has such a strong Welsh contingent (15 out of 37 players): Wales as a team have played poorly except in one game over the last 12 months, haven't managed to win against a major Southern Hemisphere team in quite some time, and some of the Welsh players picked are second choice in either their club or national team. However, I would admit that when you look at the options on who could be exchanged, there doesn't seem to be anyone better. Perhaps the Lions managers have got it right.

That aside, the excitement is building. Australia, prepare yourself for a sea of red to invade your stadiums. I still remember the 1st test in 2001 at the Gabba - it wasn't a home test at all for the Wallabies and the chant the following week was "you're only wearing yellow cos it's free", which showed how much of a threat the Lions supporters are.

The games are in my diary, I will be in Hong Kong for the opener, at Bungy Bar for the pre-test games in Australia and at the stadia for the 3 tests. What a month it will be!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour to Australia -June/July 201

Post by Kooky » 1st May, '13, 16:23

Time to go on holiday, methinks :P

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 31st May, '13, 07:37

And the first game is just around the corner. The flights are booked, the tickets received, the bags are packed, and I'm ready to roar!

The fixture against the Barbarians in Hong Kong is the first time the Lions have played there, and should be a good opener for the tour. The Baabaas didn't play well against England on Sunday but you never know when two teams thrown together in a few days play against each other.

The full itinerary is:

1 June 2013
19:30 HKT (UTC+8) Barbarians v British and Irish Lions Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong

5 June 2013
18:00 AWST (UTC+8) Western Force v British and Irish Lions Patersons Stadium, Perth

8 June 2013
19:30 AEST (UTC+10) Queensland Reds v British and Irish Lions Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

11 June 2013
19:30 AEST (UTC+10) Combined NSW-QLD Country v British and Irish Lions Hunter Stadium, Newcastle

15 June 2013
19:30 AEST (UTC+10) New South Wales Waratahs v British and Irish Lions Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney

18 June 2013
19:30 AEST (UTC+10) Brumbies v British and Irish Lions Canberra Stadium, Canberra

First test
22 June 2013
20:00 AEST (UTC+10) Australia v British and Irish Lions Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

25 June 2013
19:30 AEST (UTC+10) Melbourne Rebels v British and Irish Lions AAMI Park, Melbourne

Second test
29 June 2013
20:00 AEST (UTC+10) Australia v British and Irish Lions Etihad Stadium, Melbourne

Third test
6 July 2013
20:00 AEST (UTC+10) Australia v British and Irish Lions ANZ Stadium, Sydney

I'm at the opener in HK, and will also be at the tests, otherwise I'll be most likely perched on a barstool at Bungy Bar. See you there!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 8th Jun, '13, 14:56

Looking forward to watching the Lions v Reds game in a few hours time, think the home side will be up for it, interesting to see if Quade Cooper turns up and turns it on. Gatland true to his word by giving the remaining Lions who have yet to play a run out tonight.

Shame for both Cian Helay & Gethin Jenkins who are our of the tour due to injury :(
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 13th Jun, '13, 06:25

So further possible injuries and the 4th replacement has been flown in - and not even played the first test yet. Does that mean there's no limit to the size of the squad then given the potential injured are still in AUS including Bowe with a broken hand?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jun, '13, 07:37

I think Gatland may have underestimated just how many players would get injured. To take only 16 backs in the original squad (and with Kearney not fit yet) has always meant you need to have some double up.

I think Twelvetrees will be a good addition to the squad. Though unlikely to push for a test place if everyone is fit, he could sneak a bench spot quite easily (along with Hogg) to provide wider coverage across the backs.

And yes, there is no limit to size of squad.

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 13th Jun, '13, 08:03

If the injuries keep piling up how long before they call up fat bob

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jun, '13, 08:06

They'd have to call someone else up at the same time for my inevitable heartilage injury!

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 13th Jun, '13, 17:48

:lol:

Interesting team for Saturday's game against the Tahs, the pressure for Test spots should see a fine contest methinks.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 15th Jun, '13, 08:36

I feel like a little French for lunch...... Go the mighty BLACKS. I did miss the lovely Richie last week :(
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 15th Jun, '13, 08:37

Your neighbor is French, he might have a spare baguette for you.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 15th Jun, '13, 08:47

About half the French in Singapore live in our condo!! Which reminds me, time to decorate my front patio for todays game.

FB, why did the Reds and the Lions both have to wear Red last week? Wardrobe needs firing
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Jun, '13, 09:53

So confusing indeed

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Jun, '13, 10:21

And Dwyer is a cock.

Poppy Appeal

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 15th Jun, '13, 11:35

[smilie=rotflmao.gif] ...."ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if campo (David Campese) don't get ya, Dwyer must"
Such wit

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 16th Jun, '13, 10:13

That was a bit more of a workout for The Lions, though comfortable winners in the end.

Some great individual performances that should result in Test spots next Saturday - the Tom's Young & Croft, POC, Jonathan Davies, Sexton, A W Jones. And of course, Leigh Halfpenny who looks to be in the best form ever right now, not just for his superb goal kicking.

Jamie Roberts injury looks potentially pretty serious and more reserves on their way. A JD & BoD combination wouldn't upset me too much.

Oh and Shane Williams coming out of a 2 year retirement for the Brumbies game on Tuesday...hmmm, that's either a massive p-take or he'll end up running the length of the field and scoring the winning try under the posts!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Jun, '13, 16:28

Gatland is showing his form well, ensuring we don't have the issue at the 3rd test in 2001 (Andy Nichol was called up from a Gulliver Tour or something as all scrum halves except Matt Dawson were injured). Think it's great to have a player of Shane Williams joining.

Fantastic run out by the Lions, some tough work and yes, some have definitely had their names etched onto the 1st test team sheet.

Daff, you've not mentioned the Wales Japan game.....

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 16th Jun, '13, 18:03

Fat Bob wrote:
Daff, you've not mentioned the Wales Japan game.....
Because this a thread is about the Lions perhaps ? [smilie=tease.gif]

Given this was effectively Wales C side, it's hardly surprising. Lots of the B side injured or seemingly being rested, this team got shown up by all accounts and Wales now drop to 6th in the ranking behind France. Oh joy.

As for Gatland's Lions master plan, agree that bringing in Shane will allow him to put the cotton wool around some Test hopefuls.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Jun, '13, 19:11

Not seen the Wales Japan match, just the score. Good result for Japan, should elevate their position in the the world, which will be good for their hosting of the 2019 RWC. I was slightly shocked as Wales, even with an understrength team, should have beaten them. Seems Wales do not have much strength in depth even after some success in the 6N over the last few years.

England played well to win the test series in Argentina 2-0. First time an English team have won back-to-back tests in the country, and only the second ever series win. With more and more English entering the Lions squad and others rested or injured, then great work by the team and some hard decisions for Stuart Lancaster come the new season.

Back to the Lions - my trip starts on Wednesday evening. Can't wait!

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 16th Jun, '13, 20:27

Heading out Thurs ... Can't wait

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 18th Jun, '13, 19:25

Well done Brumbies, you play what's in front of you and you beat the Lions.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 18th Jun, '13, 19:56

Outplayed by the Brumbies, well done!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Jun, '13, 13:13

And the big day is upon us! Lions Lions Lions!

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 22nd Jun, '13, 16:26

Indeed, looking forward to it - albeit from a distance! Am sure Brisbane is buzzing now FB!!

This made me smile :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2 ... ions-video

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Jun, '13, 05:07

Wow, what a game! Tense, tight, some great rugby by both sides. What a debut what Falou, and how cruel on Beale.

Lions win the first test 23-21,each team bagging a couple of tries and the score coming down to the success of the kickers. Halfpenny edged it here, with a better success rate than either O'connor or Beale.

And I was on TV a few times!

Poppy Appeal