My cat has gone insane HELF

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

My cat has gone insane HELF

Post by Aliya » 5th Dec, '08, 12:16

My little boy cat Xiao Hei I have had since he was 3 days old. He got the cleavage treatment and until recently has been the most loving Mummy's boy cat. Since the move to the new house he comes in the bedrooms at night howling (he is part Siamese) and howling - he has never done this before.

Last night he was in my bedroom, turned and looked at me, his pupils widened incredibly fast, he started growling and lashing his tail and then he leapt at me, badly biting my legs - lower leg and thigh - in what I can only call an attack. I managed to get him out of the bedroom. About an hour later he came back and as I turned to him, speaking gently, he launched at me again, I had blood everywhere, from my arms and hands and legs.

He then went downstairs and attacked for no reason T's sister J.

It was reminiscent of the attacks that the Divine MsD's cats made on Azzam and I.

I have two little kids and he could do quite a bit of damage to them.

I dont understand how a cat can undergo a sort of Jekyll and Hyde personality change. One moment my sweet little boy and then the next almost rabid.

Anyone ever have this before? Could he be sick? I have checked him for absesses and can feel nothing. Have booked him into the vet tomorrow for a check up but still it is really quite scary.

I had to go to a very upmarket wedding today with scabby lacerated arms and legs. Not a good look!!!
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Re: My cat has gone insane HELF

Post by BFG » 5th Dec, '08, 12:26

Happy Chrimble in 20 and counting...

[4980.gif]
Life's too short...

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 5th Dec, '08, 12:27

Anything new apart from the house? New food? Is he eating any plants in the garden?

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 5th Dec, '08, 12:29

Had something similar with my cat when I still lived with my Mum, A, but we put it down to her having 3 litters straight off, as soon as she was sexually mature, and going a bit hormonally mad. In those days it wasn't the norm to get them done staight away and each time we planned to she would be up the duff again.

She used to attack my Mum and also jump the poodle, cling onto its back. Sounds funny I know, but she was evil. We ended up getting her put down. :(

Maybe he is in pain, as you say? Maybe he is being frightened by somebody in his new territory? Hopefully the vet will have some ideas.

Take care of your wounds - I still have the ones Bo did when I first tried to introduce Fu. Get some antibiotics.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 5th Dec, '08, 12:30

Same food, we do have existing plants that were not in the earlier house, not seen him eating any - hmmmm could be a sort of catnip??? His attacks were so like some sort of substance abuse. Will check tomorrow all plants. Dont have a big garden at all this time round.

There is a dominant cat around, could him attacking us be the wound up aggression he gets from the other cat? It sits outside on the path and rowls at XH.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 5th Dec, '08, 12:38

I have never heard of anything like that, A, that's awful! I will definitely be interested to hear what the vet has to say. I agree the first thing is to make sure there's no underlying health issue. Next step is to examine the environment. The outside cat could be the problem. Perhaps after the vet visit can keep him in a quiet room for a few days with some of that cat calming hormone spray. Maybe set him up in your bedroom, so he doesn't feel rejected, but alone from the rest of the house, keep a big towel and cat carrier in there and if he attacks yu again, can grab him in the towel and stuff him in the carrier and spray him down with the hormone spray.

I really don't know what I would do if one of my bunch turned like that. Good luck and keep us posted!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 5th Dec, '08, 12:42

Do you have any Rescue Remedy, A? Could try that for now.

Aliya-cat went a bit schizo that time I took her to the vet, didn't she, and that was pain.

Bender

Post by Bender » 5th Dec, '08, 12:47

He's likely sick, especially if you can't pinpoint environmental changes as a reason for the behavior change. Signs of sickness can be very subtle in cats. Have him checked by your vet.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 5th Dec, '08, 13:03

It does sound like he is sick. I hope the vet can find out what is wrong. Maybe it is a combination as well, the move and sickness so the stress has made it worse.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 5th Dec, '08, 13:09

He only does this at night. It is very odd. Will see what the vet says. He was in a fight the other night but the howling started earlier but the attacking could be a sign of an illness. I am really worried, he is a lovely little cat.

I would like to take both to this new vet - a kiwi from Companion Vets - who apparently is really upon Beags so I am taking Basil as well. The evil ginger thing has now got tumours along the base of her spine which my other vet said I cannot do anything about but I am going to take her as well. Pity no one returns cat cages to me, have to take one of them in the picnic basket! Dang. Fun trip, two howling cats, one puking car sick Beag. Please pray for me...

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 5th Dec, '08, 13:20

We've got the same at our house. Gonzo is attacking Kenzo with quite some fury.

We called in a psychic and while we did have a couple of "spirits" in the house, they didn't consider them evil.

next stop was the vet. he believes it's diverted aggression. There are a couple of street cats who have entered the neighbourhood. Gonzo senses them/hears them and wants to fight them. seeing he can't get to them, he turns the aggression onto Kenzo. vet did say that if it wasn't for Kenzo, Gonzo would most likely attack us instead. Told us to keep them seperated when it happens and to make sure BBII is away from the action.

He said there is nothing really they could do.

I wonder how many more times I can type Gonzo and Kenzo into a single post.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 5th Dec, '08, 13:25

what BFG said...

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 5th Dec, '08, 13:37

So is it Gonzo or Kenzo that's feeling a bit discombobulated, then?

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 5th Dec, '08, 13:39

discombobulated :shock: Thats a big word
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 5th Dec, '08, 13:41

Possum wrote:discombobulated :shock: Thats a big word
Not sure why but when I saw your post Poss, I suddenly realised LVS's "nincombobulate" is in fact a very good one.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 5th Dec, '08, 13:48

Bugger off! I only just read the other thread and to think I was just planning a xmas party for you lot...slap slap
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 5th Dec, '08, 15:53

well I do have Mr Chan but he keeps to himself in his shrine. I do think it is the misplaced aggression via the other cat.

Havent had the spirits of the house checked out but everyone thinks it has a lovely feel but to be sure to be sure, Baloo can you please give me the details of the person you used? Fanks.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 5th Dec, '08, 16:03

Aliya wrote:Havent had the spirits of the house checked out but everyone thinks it has a lovely feel but to be sure to be sure, Baloo can you please give me the details of the person you used? Fanks.
Don't have their numbers handy but the two people we spoke to were Cole Sear & Oda Mae brown

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 5th Dec, '08, 16:41

Porto does the same thing but mainly if he wants to get food (you are going to the kitchen but don't give him anythign to eat) or play (and you dare to sit down on the couch). He can be biting and hangin on your arm one minute and the next he will be happily purring away.. wierd cat...

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 5th Dec, '08, 17:08

Aliya wrote:well I do have Mr Chan but he keeps to himself in his shrine. I do think it is the misplaced aggression via the other cat.

Havent had the spirits of the house checked out but everyone thinks it has a lovely feel but to be sure to be sure, Baloo can you please give me the details of the person you used? Fanks.
Sounds like an evil possession to me. Suggest a stake through the heart.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 5th Dec, '08, 22:12

Stake, 0.22 - sama sama...

...and in 20 wake-ups you can ask for a new cat.

[xmas-nana]
Life's too short...

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 5th Dec, '08, 23:41

my bet is for displaced aggression too, Aliya.

Rescue Remedy in his drinking water may help. also, you may also want to spray some RR diluted in water (or the hormone spray Lili mentioned - can get from the vet) around the house - esp in the area where XH can see the dominant cat.

if it's only happening at night, can you keep him safely upstairs overnight, or in an area where he can't do a faceoff with the dominant cat?

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 6th Dec, '08, 05:11

Cats go nuts like this after eating lizards/geco's
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 6th Dec, '08, 06:31

Eating or attacking geckos sounds like a good explanation. Geckos do have a chemical defense which they spray at attackers. Maybe he's licking himself clean and getting it into his system. It does sound hallucinatory to me rather than simple aggression. And geckos only come out at night.

Hmm... Must get some gecko samples. The army might be interested...