Revolution for Cats - Side Effects?

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Revolution for Cats - Side Effects?

Post by Kooky » 6th Jan, '09, 17:37

Has anybody noticed any side effects when treating cats with Revolution drops?

We started using it rather than Frontline on the advice of local vets - now they go further than a concrete courtyard and mix with other critters it is definitely necessary.

I've noticed that they're all a bit dozy for a few days every month after the application, and Han has barfed a couple of times. Did them on Saturday and on Sunday Han scratched himself silly - I saw him do it and in seconds there was fur everywhere :o He now has a bald patch on the back of his neck where the drops are applied and it seems to be getting bigger so I think he's still scratching. Googling says it can be an issue but I hate to think I am inflicting such obvious discomfort on him every month.

I don't know what I can do other than try a different brand, but I was told this one is the most effective for fleas plus worms. :?:

I'm also worried about paralysis ticks as I just learned that, contrary to my belief, they are a problem in North Sydney, but it seems there is no preventative medicine for those. (They're definitely a problem in Brisbane - Rudi's dog has just been in hospital with them. :( )

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Revolution for Cats - Side Effects?

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 6th Jan, '09, 17:58

I would go back to Frontline. The side effects of the other one sound terrible, and is the protection it offers that much better? Poor Han.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 7th Jan, '09, 05:40

I use Advantage. I've used frontline in tick season but I don't think much of it.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Jan, '09, 06:06

Thanks - I think I'll do a bit more research into what they all do and do not claim to cover. None of them likes being treated but Han always runs a mile when he sees the packet; now I know why.

Burb - apparently the only way to protect a cat or dog from ticks is to soak every mm of their skin with the solution. I can just see our cats letting us do that every few days. :lol: Rudi was looking into tablets called Proban.

Lili - you should have seen Bo after she had her rabies jab update here :( She's only a wee thing - 3.4kg - and the one they use here lasts 3 years instead of 1 like they have in Sg. We got her home and she started twitching and biting herself :o I thought she was having a fit. We rang the vet who said just keep an eye on her, should calm down, but I was sure she needed some antihistamines and googling backed me up. Thankfully she did calm down in a couple of hours but it was very frightening and awful to see her in such discomfort.

I've always been assured it's better to keep up the rabies jabs than not if there's a chance we'll have to go back to the UK (perish the thought!) but now I'm not so sure.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 7th Jan, '09, 06:37

The cats are pretty good at getting the ticks off themselves. The only problems are the ones that attach where they can't bite, around the head and neck.

Frontline was no use for fleas either, is what I'm also saying. This is for Soda, who has a very thick undercoat. Whiskey doesn't have a problem. Advantage is the only thing that controls fleas on Soda.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 7th Jan, '09, 07:46

we found that keeping cats inside the house does wonders; no fleas, no ticks.

and it even keeps the local wildlife intact... [smilie=tease.gif]

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Jan, '09, 08:02

Ah well, nothing new to say on that one, M. :P

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 7th Jan, '09, 08:14

I think the difference between them was Revolution kills fleas as well but Frontline doesn't? I worked on the basis that fleas weren't a biggie and kept all of mine on Frontline. I only Frontlined them every 2 or so months anyway because that seeemed to be the level that worked for them, I didnt like the idea of giving it to them every month.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 7th Jan, '09, 08:17

lol! i thought you were talking about a French revolution or something :) !!!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 7th Jan, '09, 12:15

One of my sister's cats was the same with Revolution. Poor thing hated it and scratched herself silly too and she appeared to hate the smell, it seemed to cause problems with her digestion as well...not a pretty sight in the kitty litter, and the other places when she didn't quite make it. About 2-3 months of it was all that they went with and then decided that Revolution was the cause, and so went back to Frontline and separate worming etc. Life went back to normal again. ;) The other two had no problems with it but went back to Frontline too just to keep things simpler.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 7th Jan, '09, 12:55

The side effects of revolution for cats? I imagine you would probably get them walking around in Che Guevara tee shirts.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Jan, '09, 13:30

The cats are revolting!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 7th Jan, '09, 13:38

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:The cats are revolting!
[img]http://singapore-forum&#46com/forum/download/file.php?id=747&mode=view[/img]
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.