Bob, meanwhile has simply snapped

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Bob, meanwhile has simply snapped

Post by azzam » 13th Jan, '09, 23:31

My puss, Bob, about 7 years old, has spent the last year and a half enjoying the wilds of Seletar.
For various reasons, I haven't been able yet to get us into an apartment of our own, with garden, so he is bunking with a very kind and patient friend in her small apartment. To say he is miffed is an understatement. He is severely stressed, I've never seen him behave this way, ever. And he's always been a nervy, talkative little beastie. He is so distressed at not being able to get outside, he prowls and yowls and scratches at the door, sometimes all night. And of course, it's a lot of stress for my poor friend, who at this rate, won't be my friend for much longer. The vet called tonight, and hearing Bob yelling at the end of the phone, said get that cat a garden immediately. I was kinda hoping it was just me he was missing, which is an easier problem to fix.

My friend is going to try him on some naturopathic kitty prozac, but in the slightly longer term, until I get my bond back, and find an apartment with a small courtyard or garden - does anyone know of anyone else who could perhaps board him for a few weeks?
I know it's a lot to ask, and in some ways I don't know if moving him again would just traumatise him further - but I can't bring him to be where I am at the moment, so I need some kind of interim solution to tide us both over until I can get my life back in order.
He doesn't cope with other cats or dogs and needs a bit of safe outdoor space - just a window into a courtyard he could pop in and out of, or even a balcony might do it.
I just need a few weeks. And I can't put him in a cage. Can't and won't. That's where I found him in the first place and it was a full two years until he was happy and confident again. I'm so sad to be upsetting him yet again. I know he's just a cat, but....
Have you ever had cats behave like this? Did moving them around make it worse? Would kitty prozac do enough to take the edge of his stress without hurting him?
Poor old Bob. :cry:
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Bob, meanwhile has simply snapped

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 14th Jan, '09, 06:03

I lived in a garden flat with my first cat, who basically had the run of th place since she was a kitten. Later, when I moved into a second storey flat, she went so far as to jump off the balcony to get out. I appeased her by adopting a friend for her, about 3 months after we moved in. He turned out to be a really mellow friendly fellow and they got along great and he made being inside more interesting for her.

I'm sorry I can't help as I have no garden and three cats, but just thought to share my story if it helps. Good luck with your little friend.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 14th Jan, '09, 07:18

Aw poor Bob. :( Obviously can't help but I truly believe some cats are outdoor cats, especially if they have been adopted off the street. Even little Bo has feral tendencies at times and we all know where she was raised. ;)

azzam

Post by azzam » 14th Jan, '09, 07:30

He's half Siamese. ( Thank you very much! :-) )
I wouldn't describe him as feral, he was just happy in his little lizard-catching, bird watching, plant bombing world.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 14th Jan, '09, 07:37

Mine might soon decide to be indoor cats; a rather large Australian Magpie has taken a liking to our garden. :o

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 14th Jan, '09, 09:56

I would offer, but am looking to move myself, and would worry he would abandon ship over the balcony (4th floor as you know),, although I have lots of lizards to keep him entertained..

Hope he settles

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 14th Jan, '09, 10:10

Kooky wrote:Mine might soon decide to be indoor cats; a rather large Australian Magpie has taken a liking to our garden. :o
we have a swarm? flock? gaggle? murder? of magpies numbering around 15 come into our garden on a regular basis.

our Siamese cross is mightily intimidated by them, however big Greebo races out and tries to catch them any way he can (yes, we allow him out to control the magpie fly-bys). :lol:

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 14th Jan, '09, 10:21

This one is very cheeky. Last night I opened the patio door to scare him off and he totally ignored me, less than 2m away.

The other day he (or his brother) was two walls away and Bo was on our wall, quite excitedly watching him. She was the smaller of the two, which worries me as I've heard stories of them attacking dogs and even joggers.

The Noisy Miners make me laugh. Han just went out of the catflap and a couple started screeching at him; he came straight back in. :lol:

(wiki says A group of magpies is called a tiding, tribe, charm, gulp, flock, or murder)

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 14th Jan, '09, 10:23

ah, well, two out of four ain't bad...

azzam

Post by azzam » 14th Jan, '09, 12:11

canuck wrote:I would offer, but am looking to move myself, and would worry he would abandon ship over the balcony (4th floor as you know),, although I have lots of lizards to keep him entertained..

Hope he settles
Thank you Canuck

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 14th Jan, '09, 20:56

Azzam:
i'm sure you've already tried Rescue Remedy in his drinking water, and rubbed on the tips of his ears?
does he respond to catnip? that succeeded in calming a friend's catnip-mad kitty when they first moved house.
to keep him occupied, how about some rabbit-fur kitty toys and a pot of catmint to destroy?

at the end of the day, Clomicalm (cat prozac) really is a good short-term solution for that kind of anxiety. it's non-addictive and can help all of you (kitty, you, friend) through this tough patch.

azzam

Post by azzam » 14th Jan, '09, 21:38

Thanks Furbaby. Yes he's been on rescue remedy, and now Clomicalm; it worked to some extent, he only went nuts three times last night rather than all night, so maybe it will help him enough. Catnip doesn't move him, but I could try that. I'll try some toys, although I thought he was a bit old for them - but worth a try. He has the radio on all day :-)
My instinct is that it's better to try and get him calmed down and not have to move him again.

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 30th Jan, '09, 14:11

How is he now, has he calmed down?
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

azzam

Post by azzam » 30th Jan, '09, 16:02

A little bit but not much. I went and stayed with him last week, he only yowled twice and shut up when i told him to. That's progress. The I had to go to India, so need to check in on him again