Kittens - Aiyo!

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Kittens - Aiyo!

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Feb, '09, 20:38

Two of them. They were in the planter across the street, I could hear them from the 12th floor. I draw a line when it comes to taking in strays. Kittens that are healthy and old enough to fend for themselves I don't fuss with. But when they are so small as to have zero chance of survival without help, I feel I must intervene. Yes, the mother probably threw them out of the litter for perfectly Darwinian reasons, but as a rational human I feel that if I am witness to suffering that I have the power to alleviate, then I have to do something, for my own conscience.

OK, now that I have rationalized them, they're here. They're small, but in good shape. They stunk like nasty, but they've been bathed, deflead and are taking warm formula. They're eyes are half open and one of them has passed motion. No big signs of conjunctivitis or worms, but Monday I will take them in for the once-over. They're sleeping now.

The black one is feisty and stupid. The grey one is mellow and smart.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Kittens - Aiyo!

Post by Kooky » 7th Feb, '09, 20:45

Keep them separate from your own kits until they've been checked out won't you, Lili.

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 7th Feb, '09, 20:56

ooh Lili! photos please :)

and yes, do keep them separate til their tests are all done :) do you need an extra litterbox or kitty litter?

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 8th Feb, '09, 03:11

Give me a call I will talk you through how to rear them x
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 8th Feb, '09, 06:45

Is Lili ready for the Cleavage Method tutorial though....
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Feb, '09, 18:52

Got a gas oven?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 8th Feb, '09, 20:04

Oh, FB. And I was thinking they'd make such a nice birthday gift for you, too.

So the varmints are doing just swell. The black one is angry at the world and is extremely disappointed in the formula delivery system, which is hardly mother-cat-nipple-approved. The punk actually gets a little growl on. Ingrate. But he seems to have had a bit of an attitude adjustment after he finally cleared out his bowels this morning.

The grey one is just rolling with it, has a terrific appetite and is very charming.

They are seperated from my three grown kitties, who, surprisingly, have not freaked out all over my ass over this, as is customary when I bring kittens home. My guess is they're thinking, well, the last time she brought home a baby it was that horrible human one. At least these two are the right species.

I'll try to get some pics and post, but have been overwhelmingly busy lately - as if I have time for two kittens.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 8th Feb, '09, 23:58

Aw, another wonderful person on this forum. Lili, as if you don't have enough on your plate right now, how do you do it? That black one sounds a right devil.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 9th Feb, '09, 07:14

I think Jonesey needs some step brothers.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 9th Feb, '09, 08:10

Shut it, baloo :evil:

(Like I need a devil-cat! Poor Jonesy is a delicate little guy, you know.....:lol: )

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 9th Feb, '09, 11:44

You have to massage their bottoms a bit with a damp cloth after feedign to encourage them to go wees or poos, otherwise they can get blocked up and die.

PS if you do the cleavage reared method, make sure they come up for air :D
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 9th Feb, '09, 11:54

A few years ago Scummy Daddy's mate found some tiny kittens. We said we'd keep them temporarily till he could find a home for them as we already had 3.

They were still being bottle fed every 2-3 hours and, as we were both working full-time, we paid our vet to keep them during the week. But then the vet went home for Xmas so we had them for a few days. I took them into the office with me in a box and we passed them round during staff meetings. But then I was watching someone rehearse a presentation and one of the kittens was with me and suddenly the cold caused a seizure. We had everyone in the office ringing round to get a vet, taxi etc, and luckily he (Romulus) was ok.

They were re-homed and I then sent an email from Romulus thanking everyone. One colleague said "Did he really send that e-mail?" And this was a graduate. :roll:

Funnily enough I got a call a few weeks ago from someone whose daughter had seen an advert I put on the AB ablout them. I pointed out that it was Dec 2002 so they were re-homed by now :roll:

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Feb, '09, 11:49

Sorry, the pics aren't the greatest.
Grey one.jpg

Black one.jpg

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 12th Feb, '09, 12:58

awwwwwwwww..........they're so cute!

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 12th Feb, '09, 13:02

Aww, they remind me of my kids!

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 12th Feb, '09, 13:43

The grey one looks like Yoda.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 12th Feb, '09, 13:44

Burbage wrote:The grey one looks like Yoda.
Oi! Smack you, I will.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 12th Feb, '09, 14:10

he does look like yoda, new name!!!

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 12th Feb, '09, 14:34

Lili, you adopted Basement Cat! :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolcat

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Feb, '09, 14:52

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:As you can see, the black one is still very "Who Moved My Nipple"
Scaramanger?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Feb, '09, 15:06

Fat Bob wrote:
Lili Von Shtupp wrote:As you can see, the black one is still very "Who Moved My Nipple"
Scaramanger?
You name 'im, you got 'im!

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 12th Feb, '09, 15:10

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:
Fat Bob wrote: Scaramanger?
You name 'im, you got 'im!
Awwwww, Fat Bob's getting a kitten!!

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Feb, '09, 16:19

I heard if you roast them long enough, the fur gets burnt off. no need for skinning the little bleeder first!

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 13th Feb, '09, 06:33

Fat Bob wrote:I heard if you roast them long enough, the fur gets burnt off. no need for skinning the little bleeder first!
but then you'll be chewing on the follicles... yuck.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Feb, '09, 13:00

To update, today is not a very happy kitty day. Yesterday the grey kitten went into hospital. She's not been responding to any treatment, and infections have taken over her body faster than medication can treat. The vet explained that with such small abandoned kittens their immunity systems are really touch and go. I also believe she was the runt of the litter, as she was much smaller than the other kitten, which would make her even weaker at the starting gate. And though I have all these rational explanations in the back of my mind, I can't help but feel very, very low about it. The kitten is doing worse today than yesterday, so this afternoon I'll be going down to the animal hospital to have her put down.

That leaves me with the black one, who is a hearty little fighter in comparison. He is still angry at the world for taking his mother away, he refuses to calm down and be sweet, and seems to be on a frantic, never-ending search for a nipple.

I'm thinking of naming him Bates.