What cat litter do you use?

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

What cat litter do you use?

Post by slinky » 17th Feb, '09, 11:28

I'm not overly impressed with the litter the girl at the pet shop sold me, so, what brand of cat litter do you find the best at keeping the odors at bay? (Obviously we clear out the yuck as soon as we're aware he's been in there, but, you know)

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Re: What cat litter do you use?

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 17th Feb, '09, 11:35

Don't know about brand (maid does this :oops: ) but the crystal ones are pretty good, bearing in mind we have 4 cats. As long as you lift the poo off, it lasts for about a week with 4 (a lot longer with just 1).

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Feb, '09, 11:40

I use a brand of compressed sawdust called Pee Wee. I put about a cup and a half of it in the bottom of the tray, that really is all they need. Scoop the poop when it happens and flush it down the toilet. Then the next morning (or when the pellets have all broken down into sawdust, whichever comes first), flush the entire thing down the toilet (use a couple flushes so as to not bog the bog), then start over again with a fresh cup of pellets. I've used other compresed sawdust brands, but found this one has considerably less tracking around the house. I also like the fact that it can be flushed, because I believe that kind of waste is supposed to be treated in a sewage plant. Oh, as for odor, I've found the compressed recycled paper pellet litter is absolutely useless.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Feb, '09, 12:01

Teach your cat to use the toilet, you lazy gits.

Much better for the environment as well.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 17th Feb, '09, 12:14

We've had that discussion. I'm not sharing my toilet with a cat. It's bad enough sharing it with a man.

I use this one. http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/pro ... up_no=2106 Put onto it by somebody on here (Morrolan, Furby, or both). It's the recycled paper pellets and I find it perfectly ok.

In Singapore I used Happy Cat, the fine gritty stuff, but when I initially had to have the tray indoors here it was too messy. Silica balls I found stuck to their fur.

Do you have a tray with a lid that you put a charcoal pad into? That's the best thing for absorbing odours.

That's odour with a U by the way. :P

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 17th Feb, '09, 12:16

Fresh Mint wrote:Teach your cat to use the toilet, you lazy gits.

Much better for the environment as well.
I don't think so. It's going to be hard enough to teach the toddler.

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 17th Feb, '09, 12:53

for hygiene and odour control, the clumping litters can't be beat. although Feline Pine is very good and actually makes the litter area smell quite nice too :)

when we got Daisy, our kidney-failure kit, she wee'd so much that she turned normal litter into mud - literally. by the end of the day the litterbox was a puddle of sludge. we switched to "Fussie Cat" lemon-scented clumping litter (they also have the unscented variety). it worked like a charm, and had the added benefit of being one of the cheapest brands on the market, so we didn't have to worry about going through a bag a week!

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 17th Feb, '09, 12:56

we used the pine litter too when we lived in Sing. we have to make do with the recycled paper litter here, which isn't too bad.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Feb, '09, 13:03

OK, is this true or is it urban myth? I'd been told that clumping litters can be eaten by the cat, when cleaning paws etc, and can get trapped in and block the intestines. Has anyone else heard this?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 17th Feb, '09, 13:06

No.

I use the silica gel litter. Works for me and it can also be put in old socks to keep the moisture out of camera gear etc *.

* Obviously before the cat uses it.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 17th Feb, '09, 13:15

Our two have been on clumping litter since day 1. No issues at all.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 17th Feb, '09, 13:19

Burbage wrote:No.

I use the silica gel litter. Works for me and it can also be put in old socks to keep the moisture out of camera gear etc *.

Obviously :lol:
Last edited by slinky on 17th Feb, '09, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

FurBaby

Post by FurBaby » 17th Feb, '09, 13:24

for it to cause intestinal problems, the cat would have to eat great big handfuls of it on a daily basis. a few accidental grains picked up while self-grooming would not be a problem. the volume would not be enough to form a clump internally, before it gets passed out of the cat's system.
Lili Von Shtupp wrote:OK, is this true or is it urban myth? I'd been told that clumping litters can be eaten by the cat, when cleaning paws etc, and can get trapped in and block the intestines. Has anyone else heard this?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Feb, '09, 13:40

Well, that's good to know. I have always avoided clumping litters for that very reason, just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and
Burbage wrote:No.

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Burb's potpurri = cat litter and old socks. I needed a little humor today. Thanks.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 17th Feb, '09, 20:02

We use the clumping stuff in the pink bag from Cold Storage, it has little pink and blue balls in it too to help deodorise, and find it great. I tried all the pine ones and other earthfriendly types but damn cats hated it and started to use things other than the kitty litter boxes...so we quickly changed back. The crystal one was very good, but also very costly I found as it needed changing a lot. We always seem to come back to the one in the pink bag...wish I could remember the name of it...just ran out today so can't even check, sorry.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

FurBaby

Post by FurBaby » 17th Feb, '09, 22:38

Angel :)

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Feb, '09, 10:49

That's it! You are an angel as well...

It works very well, currently we have to have our kitty litter in the kitchen (please no lectures on hygiene etc it is an unavoidable short term thing) and it is totally odour free.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Batwoman
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Stressssed Oooooot

Post by Batwoman » 20th Feb, '09, 15:41

I think it's trial and error and depends on how strong the cat pee is.

I use the 3 following depending on what stock is in and he does not mind either:
Jonny cat , Original cat litter(anti-microbial) 4.52kg - Slightly chalky sand but does not clump & sticker to the litter box
or
Vitakraft (cat) magic clean 5l - These are crystal and the cat tray stays quite dry
or
Hitachi deodorizing system paper pellets 4l

I generally have not had much luck with the clumping ones especially when it rains.