Been thinking - How much do you eat - do you really need it?

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Been thinking - How much do you eat - do you really need

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Mar, '08, 07:49

Burbage wrote: Oh, and there's nothing complex about it. View anything made with flour or rice or potatoes with grave suspicion. Avoid sugar completely, except for the occasional treat. What could be simpler than that?
Eat less, exercise more.

That's easier: 4 words, no telling the police, nothing from the cemetry, and no absolutes.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 12th Mar, '08, 08:19

Burbage wrote: Oh, and there's nothing complex about it. View anything made with flour or rice or potatoes with grave suspicion. Avoid sugar completely, except for the occasional treat. What could be simpler than that?
I will not view potatoes with suspicion. All those nice vitamins and minerals if you don't peel them too deep. Just don't overdo them, like everything else.
This coming from an Irishman! Shame on you.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 12th Mar, '08, 08:26

I think it's the neanderthal diet that basically states that you can eat anything that your body can digest in it's raw form. Anything that needs to be cooked or processed before being edible is a no no.

Makes sense to me.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 12th Mar, '08, 08:28

I'd quite like to try a macrobiotic diet but can't get the energy up to organise myself to try it!
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 12th Mar, '08, 09:20

Fat Bob wrote:
Eat less, exercise more.

That's easier: 4 words, no telling the police, nothing from the cemetry, and no absolutes.
Apart from the fact that it is simply wrong.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 12th Mar, '08, 09:21

azzam wrote:
I will not view potatoes with suspicion. All those nice vitamins and minerals if you don't peel them too deep. Just don't overdo them, like everything else.
This coming from an Irishman! Shame on you.
By all means. Eat the skins. Throw the middle away.

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 12th Mar, '08, 09:26

If rice is so bad for people, it seems a little odd that there are over 2 billion Chinese and Indians in the world.

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 12th Mar, '08, 09:28

[/quote]

I don't know that I agree with that completely Burb. For instance, rice is the staple food for most of Asia and yet obesity was never an issue until recently with the fast food diet taking place of traditional foods in places like S'pore and Malaysia. I was home last year and was pretty surprised to see so many fat kids around. Burger King, Mcdonald's and KFC were always packed to the gills.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 12th Mar, '08, 09:36

Bob the Builder wrote:If rice is so bad for people, it seems a little odd that there are over 2 billion Chinese and Indians in the world.
I believe carbohydrates have just got a bad rep. What's bad is that lifestyles have changed with people leading more sedentary lifestyles but not making adjustments to portions of food consumed relative to amount of energy expanded. A good example would to compare portions of food served in France versus portions of food served in the US. The French eat lots of bread and cheese and imbibe a fair bit of wine but I didn't see too much obesity there. The reason is simple as I observed that they rarely snack in between meals and eat small(er) portions.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 12th Mar, '08, 09:42

Again we have the difference between rice being available at subsistence levels and rice being available at glutton levels.

Rice, wheat and potatoes contain energy (essentially simple carbohydrates (starches) that can be converted into glucose and thence ATP in an easy way. The pure starch form of these foods (which is what is found in processed food containing these things) does not contain any nutrition, as in vitamins and minerals, amino acids and lipids. If you eat only rice you will eventually die from malnutrition. If you eat about 60 grams of rice a day along with a small amount of fruit and vegetables and some meat you will live to a ripe old age. The Irish survived quite well on potatoes (whole) and milk and nothing else until the potatoes got sick...

The good thing about rice and wheat is that they can keep large populations alive for quite a long time at very little cost, making your pyramid or forbidden palace projects feasible.

The French eat a lot of bread, but their bread is mostly crust, which is indigestible.

Sugar is a drug. It has no nutritional value, gives you a buzz and is extremely bad for your health.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 12th Mar, '08, 09:50

On our new coffee machine at work, you cannot choose a no sugar option. Its weird, but you HAVE to have sugar with your coffee. When I moaned about it, I just got weird looks, "cannot drink coffee without sugar lah!" type thing...
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Mar, '08, 10:45

Burbage wrote:
Fat Bob wrote: Eat less, exercise more.

And so are you.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 12th Mar, '08, 11:07

Fat Bob wrote: Eat less, exercise more.

And so are you.
How so?

I can give someone who is obese a diet that allows them to eat more food and take no exercise but they will lose weight. Which invalidates the "eat less, move more" so-called Torygraph diet.

Explain why I am wrong.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Mar, '08, 11:27

Ah, so we're actually talking about treat clinically obese people specifically now? First time you've mentioned it. Previously I was suggesting to Aliya that she should eat less and keep up the current exercise levels. You weren't even in the conversation.

Of course your method could work if you were treating a clincally obese person and they followed the diet strictly.

So would my method of eating less and exercising more, again if things were followed strictly.

So neither method is wrong. So you were the first wrong to be wrong about what would be wrong. So back to your hole.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 12th Mar, '08, 12:52

The Telegraph diet doesn't work at all. Less than what? More than what? It's an unscientific, specious soundbite.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 12th Mar, '08, 13:04

No its not. If you eat more than you usually eat then you should lose weight. If you eat more, then you will. Less and more are releative to your intake.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Mar, '08, 13:43

So should I call the police about the suspicious rice, potatoes and flour? Should I do this only when they are together or at any time if they are seen? what happens if they are mixed in well, and you can't see them? Should I still be suspicious?

Avoid sugar? Why, is it driving at me? Or is it just in the middle of the road and I have to drive around it?

And how long is occasional? Every day? Hour? Week? Minute? Month? Second? Or year?

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 12th Mar, '08, 13:50

Nobody is forcing you to do anything FB.

You can eat 20kg of beef a day and you will not get fat.

You will probably die of clotted arteries, but that's another story.