A question about wisdom teeth

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

A question about wisdom teeth

Post by canuck » 10th Mar, '08, 15:53

Now I know I could go google this and find out some real info and I probably will, but it is bugging me and I need some direct input, maybe some laughs. Before I have to go see a dentist.

Now do wisdom teeth just keep growing? as in get longer? will they eventually spear me through the head like warthog tusks?

I ask because I have two wisdom teeth left on the bottom which means there is no top one to grind them down,, they seem only to be getting longer, so should I get them pulled? :shock:

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Re: A question about wisdom teeth

Post by sluggo » 10th Mar, '08, 16:00

Ask a dentist. [smilie=yawn.gif]
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 10th Mar, '08, 16:02

where is the fun in that? they just want my money!

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 10th Mar, '08, 16:10

canuck wrote:where is the fun in that? they just want my money!
Well, if you are looking for fun and no money spent, you could always do a self-extraction a la Big Merv :mrgreen: Surely that would be a barrel of laughs :shock: [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 10th Mar, '08, 16:49

I have a big file for filing mini horses hooves, maybe we could try that :). I have same issue, I just monitor it.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Mar, '08, 17:23

Canuck and Aliya having wisdom teeth? [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

They will eventually stop, but if it hurts or rubs against the gums on a regular basis, thne get them taken out.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 10th Mar, '08, 17:43

canuck wrote:Now do wisdom teeth just keep growing? as in get longer? will they eventually spear me through the head like warthog tusks?
no. only rodents have teeth that keep growing their entire life.
canuck wrote:I ask because I have two wisdom teeth left on the bottom which means there is no top one to grind them down,, they seem only to be getting longer, so should I get them pulled? :shock:
that is different: IIRC, what is happening is that the teeth will extend further (and expose tooth bone and roots at some point) until they have something to stop them (like your jaw) or they fall out. they will have become infected way before that happens though.

i had exactly the same thing: since i had only one wisdom tooth, it became too long and started irritating and cutting my gums in the jaw opposite. for this reason my dentist removed it as soon as it was possible.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 10th Mar, '08, 20:39

Morrolan wrote:
canuck wrote:Now do wisdom teeth just keep growing? as in get longer? will they eventually spear me through the head like warthog tusks?
no. only rodents have teeth that keep growing their entire life.
canuck wrote:I ask because I have two wisdom teeth left on the bottom which means there is no top one to grind them down,, they seem only to be getting longer, so should I get them pulled? :shock:
that is different: IIRC, what is happening is that the teeth will extend further (and expose tooth bone and roots at some point) until they have something to stop them (like your jaw) or they fall out. they will have become infected way before that happens though.

i had exactly the same thing: since i had only one wisdom tooth, it became too long and started irritating and cutting my gums in the jaw opposite. for this reason my dentist removed it as soon as it was possible.
see, see a sensible response, ta Morrolan, will look into that :mrgreen:

and of course I know I won't get fangs that stick up through my head, just being facetious.

FB [hammer]

A: I will leave it as not keen on horse breath, but thanks for the offer :D

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 11th Mar, '08, 06:06

When I become PM I'm going to introduce a new kind of dentist. These blokes will be on the national health and you can go to them for an examination, just like you go to your doctor. They then recommend a surgeon for you. This means that there is never any worry about the dentist wanting to rip out your wisdom teeth because he wants to make the last payment on his Porsche.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 11th Mar, '08, 07:48

Burb: all find and good til they start offering each other kick backs, and one doc gets all the business because he subsidises your examination dr to send patients his way to pay for his porsche

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 11th Mar, '08, 08:59

Doesn't happen with GPs though.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Mar, '08, 10:56

Burb, if it's free people abuse it. See the GPs and A&E depts in teh UK which are just over run by people with sniffles.

I think a lot of that would be sorted out in the UK by having a £5 charge to see the doc, but you reduce prescription fees if they are on the NHS.

simple really!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 11th Mar, '08, 12:31

Details schmeetails. The point is to separate diagnoses from the bloke who does the cutting. Once it's the same as the medical system then we can fix the other issues.

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 11th Mar, '08, 17:34

Absolutely - separation of duties and responsibilities. Works (kinda) in Corporate land...
Life's too short...

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 12th Mar, '08, 22:06

Fat Bob wrote:Burb, if it's free people abuse it. See the GPs and A&E depts in teh UK which are just over run by people with sniffles.

I think a lot of that would be sorted out in the UK by having a £5 charge to see the doc, but you reduce prescription fees if they are on the NHS.

simple really!
A&E is definitely a different story here. Went into Raffles A&E last Wednesday night at 9:30pm having had my forehead smacked with a paddle at dragon boat training and was out again with six stitches in my bonce 45 minutes later. Great service but the whole episode including stitch removal cost me around $450. It's debatable which hurt most, having my head stitched or getting the bill.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.