DIARY OF "NO" SMOKING signals

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: DIARY OF "NO" SMOKING signals

Post by Pinklepurr » 21st Feb, '08, 00:38

Excellent guys. [smilie=meclap.gif] It is hard, really hard, but if you really want to do it you can and will.

Like SMS, I did it, but only because I wanted to. I think that makes all the difference, you have to want to do it for yourself. No other reason.

I first gave up over 7 years ago, lapsed when I had huge personal dramas back in 2004 and then smoked for a year or so, quite heavily, then one day realised it made me feel like crap not better (after being off for a few years, you know the good and the bad) and so just threw them out and haven't looked back. Having said that the first month was really difficult, but kept reminding myself about how I felt before, you have to resist even one.

I can only warn you that week two is worse than week one because it is when your resolve starts to fade a bit, if you can push on through that then you really can do it. Keep it up.

Edit: Forgot to add, now if only I can do the diet with the same resolve I will be right. Any hints anyone? I don't think I am as strong as Baloo.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Relaxed

Post by Fyn » 21st Feb, '08, 05:26

Good stuff Batty - quitting smoking and keeping a diary [smilie=meclap.gif] Keep going girl. [smilie=groovy.gif]

[smilie=meclap.gif] to you too Baloo.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 21st Feb, '08, 05:57

Well done Bats, and if you need help with planning what to do with all the saved $, just let me know :)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 21st Feb, '08, 06:11

Don't drink for two weeks. It has a bad effect on resolve, and it won't do you any harm.

The main thing is that you are a non-smoker. You are not an ex-smoker, you did not 'used to smoke', you do not ever tell anyone ever that you feel tempted. Smokers will try to get you back into their dwindling club if they get a chance. Don't give them that chance.

It took five days for me to get over the craving. You're nearly there.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 21st Feb, '08, 07:15

Batty is on her own now and I'll be buying her dinner at tomorrows Diners Anon....
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Batwoman
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Stressssed Oooooot

Post by Batwoman » 21st Feb, '08, 10:02

DAY 6 - Tues 19th Feb 08

Not much to report today but all going well still.

Had a strange feeling though which was I forgot I had stopped smoking [smilie=bobolatete.gif] - not that I wanted to smoked more that I had forgot I had stopped smoking because I forgot I had ever smoked...really, really, really strange

Total cigarettes thought about smoking: 0

Total cigarettes actually smoked: 0

People wanting to kill: 0

DAY 7 - Wed 20th Feb 08

Very stressed at work today and snapped at several people so [smilie=23_3.gif] surprisingly no one wanted to have lunch with me today [smilie=rotflmao.gif] [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Felt miserable when I got home

Total cigarettes thought about smoking: 5

People wanting to kill: 500

DAY 8 - Thurs 20th Feb 08

Been to the gym before work so feel pretty good today

Wow it has been a week already and Baloo has finally confessed to not having stopped [smilie=kissing2.gif]
BTW Diners in next Friday not tomorrow!

Got this email this morning:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:40 AM
To: girls in office
Subject: <no subject>

Do any of you have a spare pad or tampon?

One replied "Ha ha...no. Batty might have!"

[smilie=wtf.gif] then realised she thought I probably had because of my very, very bad mood yesterday [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Total cigarettes thought about not smoking: 1 (man got on bus this morning stinking & coughing made me think about 1 cigarrette I did not want to smoke.

People wanting to kill: 0

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 21st Feb, '08, 10:48

baloo wrote:Batty is on her own now and I'll be buying her dinner at tomorrows Diners Anon....
aw, mate...

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 21st Feb, '08, 13:14

Pinklepurr wrote: Edit: Forgot to add, now if only I can do the diet with the same resolve I will be right. Any hints anyone? I don't think I am as strong as Baloo.
Baloo is doing it the hard way (course with what he did last year was not easy by any stretch of the imagination! :shock: ).

What I am saying is that quitting smoking creates an oral fixation in the beginning (not the chemical withdrawal) because of the unconscious habit of picking up and lighting one up. We tend to supplant that with picking up food (some "gurus" :roll: even encourage you pick up lollys or something) and then this tends to add weight (what happened to me - I gained 10 kg in two months). Having quite smoking already I don't have to worry about that habit now that I am also on weight loss program which is going very well.

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 22nd Feb, '08, 08:33

Well done Batteroonie!!

I stopped just over 6 months ago. 33 years and, at the finish, 40 a day.

I went cold turkey, like you, and found the major problem was avoiding "smoking situations". There were times in the day (esp at weekends) when I would have my own quick 20 minutes, coffee, paper, tab. I now make sure that I am doing something at those times. One comment from Mrs BFG and the BFG-lettes is that they really like the lack of smell, they really, really like the fact that they don't have to hang around waiting for me to finsh/start/have a tab and they really, really, really like the fact that I am more likely to be around for theBFG-lettes 18th birthdays...

One thought - is it helping keeping this diary? For me it would jsut be a constant reminder of something I won't ever do again...

Whatever happens - keep it going!
Life's too short...

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 22nd Feb, '08, 11:00

BFG wrote:...and they really, really, really like the fact that I am more likely to be around for theBFG-lettes 18th birthdays...
18th and beyond, BFG. 50 years of smoking is what took my Dad away too early. Good for you and all the others who have quit and who are quitting [smilie=meclap.gif] [smilie=meclap.gif] [smilie=meclap.gif]

Mabel
Aged Member
Mood: Confuzzled

Post by Mabel » 23rd Feb, '08, 10:37

You inspired me Batty. So...
2 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 21 seconds smoke free.
13 cigarettes not smoked.
$6.00 and 2 hours of your life saved.
[smilie=yahoo.gif]

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: bloody marvellous

Post by Fuzz » 23rd Feb, '08, 14:10

[smilie=meclap.gif] [smilie=meclap.gif] [smilie=meclap.gif]

Yay, great progress Batatouile! So happy for you as well, Mabel!

[smilie=oui.gif]

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 23rd Feb, '08, 16:56

This is really brilliant Batty. Well done that woman [smilie=meclap.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 27th Feb, '08, 10:29

Batty ? Where are you ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 27th Feb, '08, 11:49

She's just slipped out for a tab...
Life's too short...

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 27th Feb, '08, 12:11

On the other hand, my grandmother smoked 60 a day for sixty years and lived to be 93. But we have quality genes in our family.

The other thing is that if you really like it you can take it up again at 65, then, statistically, you won't die of a smoking related cause.

Batwoman
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Stressssed Oooooot

Post by Batwoman » 26th Mar, '08, 14:28

Sorry been MIA

I did find keeping the diary helpful in the beginning as it kept me focused to sticking to my guns and not giving in to temptation [smilie=diable.gif]

It has now been 42 days and still not a single puff [smilie=ange2.gif]

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 26th Mar, '08, 14:31

I still think it depends what is in the fags. My grandfather lived until his was in his mid 80's and smoked roll your own for 70 years of that - he didnt die of any cancer. His daughter, my mother however, smoked the same amount of fags and died of lung cancer aged 69. My grandmother smoked and lived until she was well into her 80's. As did ALL both sides of my mothers family. So go figure. Strong stock - but my parents generation - dont seem to be making it as far - I swear it is because of what chemicals etc are put into the fags nowdays.

PS well done Batty!!!
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 26th Mar, '08, 21:54

Absolutely brilliant Batlady! Well done. [smilie=meclap.gif]

They say that after four weeks all the toxins are gone from your body and that the cravings are virtually gone after that. It just gets easier from here on!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 27th Mar, '08, 12:47

Good job batwoman. Keep it up!