Does this mean I'm getting old?

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Does this mean I'm getting old?

Post by slinky » 1st Sep, '09, 06:48

Slinkette needed help getting a knot untied from her pajama bottoms this morning and as I bent over - probably no more than 45 degrees - there was a bit of a pop in my lower back and now I'm in a decent amount of pain/discomfort. As the kids were eating breakfast I thought I might throw up. My maid gave me a patch thingy with camphor & menthol, etc in it and that has helped a bit, but wow. This has never happened to me before - I've never had back issues (well, apart from when I was pregnant with twins....). So, what's best -- heat & ibuprofen? Or do I need Dr. Jo the Osteo?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Does this mean I'm getting old?

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Sep, '09, 07:01

Lower back? Something to do with your core muscles not stabilising this region. There's some simple exercises that can help relieve it.

Lower back stretch
Lie on the floor, face down. Put hands in press-up position. Push up upper torso, leaving hips on the ground. This should stretch your stomach and lower back. If you want to really give it that extra, breathe in at the bottom and out at the top, this arches your back even more.

First 72 hours you should ice it. After that heat.

Head to a physio asap (today) and they should tell you that very exercise, maybe massage it to help and muscle spasm, maybe do some infra red, sonic and/or TENS (electric nerve stimulation) stuff on it. Go back as many times as you can in the first week (I've had this trouble before: when I went back weekly it was some time before major improvements, when I went daily and did the exercises it was only a mild discomfort after teh first week)

Do the exercise 3-4 times a day (every hour if you need to) and this will help relieve it. Physio will tell you how to improve your core muscles in order to help you (various exercises that you clench your klegals (sp?) just before the rest of the exercise).

Ibuprofen and other pain killers aren't that useful. If needs be see your doc to get some codiene-based pain killer (though mostly these come with paracetamol, which again isn't that helpful). You can buy these direct from the pharmacist, I think they are called panadiene over here (500mg paracetamol, 8mg codiene). Obviously don't take take if alergic or have any other prescriptions without seeing a doctor first.

edits- webpage, extra tips on physio
Last edited by Fat Bob on 1st Sep, '09, 07:07, edited 2 times in total.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 1st Sep, '09, 07:08

Thanks, FB. Now that you mention it, Mr. S does that same stretch (he has a compressed disc in his lower back). I'll see about giving that a go. I asked about ibuprofen because it's an anti-inflammatory - that's not good for this kind of thing?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 1st Sep, '09, 08:17

Ouch! I have no suggestions, but just wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon, Slinky!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 1st Sep, '09, 08:28

Ibubrofen is a good pain killer and anti-inflammatory. I always keep a stock of 400mg tabs in case of overdoing it in the gym or dragon boating. Always take with food as it's quite irritating to the stomach and if you take it over a long period will give you bubbly bowels!
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 1st Sep, '09, 09:28

what FB said.

and don't do the exercise until you have seen a physio.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 1st Sep, '09, 10:33

Yes
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 1st Sep, '09, 10:46

Ow. Take care of it Slinky -
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Sep, '09, 11:08

Getting?
We are the TPF

Bender

Post by Bender » 1st Sep, '09, 11:13

Back pain is never fun. See a physio, and make sure you ask for guidance on exercises you can do at home to strengthen your back. When you're able, I've heard that Pilates is very good for core strength.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Sep, '09, 11:25

Pilates? Is that Japanese pirates?

Ibuprofen or naproxen or paracetamol will all help a little in the relief front, but it'll be short-lived. Get to the physio for the exercises which will help relieve it on a more permanent strategy, and for short term then codiene is good (the perfect mix would be with ibuprofen, but I'm unsure if that's available here).

Ibuprofen on it's own isn't strong enough and is not good for long-term relief.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 1st Sep, '09, 12:32

OK, have just been to the osteopath and it feels a bit better now but is still sore. He says the pain should subside in 2-3 days - so hopefully he's right. He says heat and not ice, btw, and that the naproxen sodium I took this morning is good. But you are right, FB, the pain relief from it doesn't last all that long.

Baloo and BoD - kicking me while I'm down?? [smilie=rollingpin.gif] (it was purely a rhetorical question!! :lol: )

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Sep, '09, 13:03

Best time to kick someone is when they can't run and kick you back

If it makes you feel better, I am older than you and have a bad back at well
We are the TPF

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 1st Sep, '09, 13:15

You've slipped a disk darlink! Off to a physio and then follow the exercises above. It is a real bugger, so painful and will only get worse unless you get it seen too xxx
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"