Bali: Places of interest, food

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Bali: Places of interest, food

Post by nev » 6th Oct, '09, 14:36

Over the years I've written countless recommendations for places to visit and good food in Bali, and here are the ones that have not changed.

I hope this is useful.

Places to visit:
  • Uluwatu Temple (about 1 hour by car), the hotel should have some information. The best time to go is around 3pm, so you can catch the sunset and kecak dance. http://wikitravel.org/en/Uluwatu
  • Dreamland for the surfing babes and beautiful beach. This is not far from Uluwatu so both can be done in a day.
For food:
  • Sanur area:
    • D'Corner, the diver's hangout - Jalan Danau Poso
    • Kafe Batujimbar - Jalan Danau Tamblingan 75A, Sanur, Phone +62-361 287374
Last edited by nev on 8th Oct, '09, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Bali: Places of interest, food

Post by slinky » 7th Oct, '09, 17:42

Oooh, thanks, Nev!!! We're going to Bali in December, so I'll have to check some of these out!

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 7th Oct, '09, 18:48

BU OKA babi guling, Excellent! Cold Cold beer, yummy yummy roast pork and veggies, can't be beat

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Oct, '09, 18:53

Vote to move this to Insider Guides!

Places to stay:

Seminyak: Uma Sepna
Tulamben (if you are diving or relaxing whilst someone you know dives): Tauch Tulamben
Mejangan(again good for diving): Mimpi Menjangan

Dive sites:
Tulamben: USS Liberty wreck, coral garden and drop off all off the beach, and a couple of dive sites around the headland by boat.
Menjangan: Lots of little stuff, pigmy sea horses, beautiful white sand beaches in one of Bali's nature reserves.
Candi Dasa: few dive sites in and around the bay, then also out into the strait where there's a bit more of swell and current
Nusa Penida: some strong currents, some large walls, and if you're lucky, the Mola Mola!

Yes, there are better places in the region to stay, but Bali is so accessable and some of the dives are just great.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 8th Oct, '09, 10:49

I just thought I'd add a few frequently-asked recommendations:

Driver + car:
Made Wira Mobile +62-8123967403 - He speaks some English
Komang Ariana Mobile +6285935191404 - He speaks English

Local tour guide:
I Gusti Ketut Artha (Ketut) Mobile +628123957976 artha69@hotmail.com

Car rental (will deliver to airport at a small fee):
  • Ketut Kusdiantara Mobile +62 8123 98 5056 P : +62 361 288 803 F : +62 361 285 067 www.sindhumertha.com reservation@sindhumertha.com (He can also provide a driver, just ask him. I would also highly recommend their inexpensive hotel in Sanur.)
  • Ketut Kartala Mobile +628174704016
  • Ketut Suartana Mobile +628123810968 or P: +623617878825
Dive centers (they all provide pick up from your hotel): Learn to surf:
Odyssey Kuta - Michael Mobile +628123851028

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 8th Oct, '09, 10:50

Nev what is the rough price for the car plus driver

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 8th Oct, '09, 11:30

Car + driver should be about USD60-80 for 8 hours not including petrol/tips.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 21st Jun, '12, 03:41

Has anyone stayed here http://tegal-sari.com/index.htm - has great reviews.
Taking other suggestions too...

Am trawling through these threads now - will March be decent in Bali ? Not like I tan anyway but I'd like some sun!
Part 2 of honeymoon - Ubud and then maybe beach for a few days - or maybe just ubud.......

Kooky - which is the villa you stayed at - can't find in my gmail..
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 21st Jun, '12, 04:25

Villa Kubu in Seminyak. Villa number 10 (twice). Don't think we're the only forumites to do so :)

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 21st Jun, '12, 09:44

Delaney et al stayed at C151 villas in Seminyak, it was really nice, private pool, huge villa. The staff organized a BBQ for us and the food was awesome.

For Ubud, I really liked Biyukukung, and Kori Ubud. Get the top-end room, they're not that much more expensive and the view is amazing.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 21st Jun, '12, 09:45

Oh I recently discovered Bebek Tepi Sawah (literally means "duck by the paddy fields") in Ubud. Great food and ambience.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 21st Jun, '12, 21:07

Thanks Nev!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 22nd Jun, '12, 04:44

The two times we were in Ubud we stayed at Alam Sari in the village of Keliki (just outside Ubud) and really liked it.
http://www.alamsari.com/index.html
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 22nd Jun, '12, 10:03

sluggo wrote:The two times we were in Ubud we stayed at Alam Sari in the village of Keliki (just outside Ubud) and really liked it.
Looks nice sluggo, I'll check it out next time. It's not really in Ubud but I usually drive so it's not a problem for me. Thanks for the info!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 22nd Jun, '12, 10:17

nev wrote:For Ubud, I really liked Biyukukung, and Kori Ubud. Get the top-end room, they're not that much more expensive and the view is amazing.
Biyukukung is very conveniently located, right behind the famous Bebek Bengil. It's within walking distance to some shops and the Monkey Forest, but not right smack in the touristy area so it's quiet. My sister stayed there for the honeymoon, the suite was very nice with a private jacuzzi and covered patio overlooking the paddy field.

Kori Ubud is not within walking distance to the main tourist strip (Monkey Forest Road, Ubud Market, etc.) but is within 5 mins drive. I stayed in the luxury suite, which has a private balcony overlooking paddy fields. The room was enormous, the bathroom has a huge tub. Nearby, there are two museums (Museum Neka, and Antonio Blanco museum), and two awesome restaurants: Nuri's (best ribs!) and Murni's Warung. A little further away but still walkable, Pura Dalem Ubud (the main Ubud temple) has kecak (fire dance) performance some evenings. The schedule is here.
Last edited by nev on 22nd Jun, '12, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 22nd Jun, '12, 10:22

Just to add a few foodie places in Ubud:

Ary's Warung - famous for the durian brulee (it's fantastic) but they have other nice desserts too if you're not into durian. Their house-blend herbal drinks are also very nice.
Casa Luna - very nice desserts (didn't eat any main course so can't comment).

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 22nd Jun, '12, 23:49

nev wrote:
sluggo wrote:The two times we were in Ubud we stayed at Alam Sari in the village of Keliki (just outside Ubud) and really liked it.
Looks nice sluggo, I'll check it out next time. It's not really in Ubud but I usually drive so it's not a problem for me. Thanks for the info!
Its not in the city of Ubud but just outside Ubud. They have transit to and from Ubud several times a day and it is actually close enough to walk if you are interested in a nice hike. We did the hike to town and really enjoyed it. I can't remember how long it took but it wasn't bad.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 6th Aug, '12, 16:55

One week, three villas

So I'm nearing the end of a last-minute week in Seminyak and, for those of you not subjected to all the photos on my Facebook page, I thought I'd update this and tell you Villa Kubu is still wonderful.

Due to limited availability I started out in Villa 8, which is marketed as a one-bedder with an optional second but I don't really get that as it has 2 almost identical bedrooms and lovely bathrooms (as well as a third behind the bale). Then to the old Luxe Guide and forum favourite Villa 10 - I try not to think too much about who has slept in that bed - it's still my favourite of the two. It really is one-bedroom and actually it's open plan with the lounge, separated by a curtain, but for me that's ideal as I hate aircon so could use fans and breathe. Right now I'm waiting for an 11pm flight home and Villa 10 was booked so I have moved over to Villa 15 which is small, with just a plunge pool, but is fine for a single or a last-minute trip for a couple.

The spa is still very good; in the last year or so they've opened their own cafe (room service used to be from the villas down the road) and the food is excellent; the staff are still a cut above. Highly recommended, especially with the very last-minute addition of a
[battynana]
to keep you company :D

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 24th Aug, '12, 19:35

Some old / new suggestions courtesy of the SMH :

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/activit ... 23y95.html

Haven't been to Bail in ages, maybe time for a trip :)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.