Malaysia beach holidays

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Malaysia beach holidays

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 12:08

Despite it being on our doorstep, I have hardly explored Malaysia at all and now I am looking for suggestions for a nice family beach holiday destination there for my Zimbaboons.

Any advice on a nice (cheap ... always) resort or villa rental type place?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Re: Malaysia beach holidays

Post by BoD » 13th Oct, '09, 12:10

Not been for ages, but how about Sea Gypsy or Rimba on Pulau Sibu?
We are the TPF

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 12:13

I know we've probably left it late, but looking for two weeks around the Christmas/New Year period.

Anyone got any stories about Tioman? I've never been.

BTW, we'd be a party of three adults and four girls aged 5, 7, 9, 11.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 12:27

The Tioman website is pretty smart these days ...

http://www.tioman.com.my/

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Oct, '09, 12:45

Tioman's tough this time of year, the seas are choppy and weather is unpredictable, I think most resorts on the east coast of peninsular Malaysia close from about Nov til end Feb. Better to look at Penang or Langkawi. Don't know about Sibu, though.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 13th Oct, '09, 14:12

Wot Lili said re. weather. If it had been any other month, I'd suggest Perhentian Islands.

Penang and Langkawi suck, don't go.

Would you consider Thailand? Krabi is nice.

Here are some recommendations from a localized expat in Krabi:
The Best Western Ban Ao Nang Resort: http://www.anyavee.com/banaonang.htm

Or more in the budget range: http://theverandahaonang.com/ (I stayed here. Clean and basic, about 5 mins walk from the beach)
Last edited by nev on 13th Oct, '09, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 14:26

Is the weather really that bad in Tioman at Christmas/New year? Surely it isn't that different to Singapore?

We've "done" Krabi twice, which is why we are looking for something new. Some of the cheapo little huts on Tioman look exactly what I'm after.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 13th Oct, '09, 14:42

All the diving operations on the East Coast of MY aren't running so lots of the resort, restaurants and huts will be shut. Weather can be fine but also bad for days

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Oct, '09, 14:44

I don't think the weather is as much an issue as the condition of the sea, I think any kind of scuba/snorkeling is not on offer. The two main resorts on the island will be open for sure (Berjaya/JapaMala - they might not fall under your definition of cheap), but not much else will be. You'll also have to check flight availability - some years Berjaya Air has canceled flights during off-season altogether. If so then your only option would then be to take a speedboat from Mersing - beware of seasickness!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 14:47

We wouldn't be diving anyway. The kids are all very, very confident swimmers -- even the 5-year-old -- but they haven't got their PADI yet ...

Please keep the suggestions coming!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 13th Oct, '09, 15:21

Even when you're not diving, the speedboat ride there and back (or worse, slow boat!!) will probably churn your stomach during the off-season. If you must go, take the fast ferry.

Most of the "resorts" in Tioman are old and shabby, so don't expect too much. I've stayed at Berjaya - food was awful, rooms dirty.

Salang beach has a lot of resorts (all shabby), some decent food, but generally the most crowded. Can't recommend any of the resorts I'm afraid.

I usually stay at Babura resort, Tekek beach. Very small resort with basic huts on the beach. It has a decent restaurant, and a nice stretch of quiet beach. http://www.baburaseaview.com/ They will pick you up from the Tekek jetty or Berjaya airport.
Last edited by nev on 13th Oct, '09, 16:08, edited 3 times in total.

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 13th Oct, '09, 15:28

nev wrote: Penang and Langkawi suck, don't go.
Here's a pic of Langkawi suck to tempt your tastebuds....
langkawi nov 2006.jpg
If you want quiet family beach holiday, perfect I would say. Think you may have to watch out for jellyfish etc though much the same all over SE Asia. I took this pic in Nov 2006. December/January will be high season - very good weather. We stayed at the Casa Del Mar hotel which was just fab. It's Singaporean owned and therefore rather well run. You should be able to find a website for them. There are of course other more luxurious hotels for the 5-star family. It's a bit of a sleepy laid-back island so don't expect too much excitement but, if all you want is a relaxing beach holiday, it might suit.

Penang is not really noted for its beaches - at least the ones I have seen are not that spectacular.

As previous posters have mentioned, East coast of peninsular Malaysia gets the North East monsoon big time Dec/Jan.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 15:49

I'll say this again.

I DO NOT want smart resort . I'm after cheapo beach.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 13th Oct, '09, 15:56

Fresh Mint wrote:I'll say this again.

I DO NOT want smart resort . I'm after cheapo beach.
East Coast Park Singapore...bring your tent

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 13th Oct, '09, 15:59

How cheap?

Plenty of cheapo beach places on Phuket. I imagine Krabi probably has some bargains too. It's not Malaysia of course and you will pay more in the high season but, having said that, I think there's a lot of bargains about in Thailand. Depends what you want really.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 13th Oct, '09, 16:03

Fresh Mint wrote:I DO NOT want smart resort . I'm after cheapo beach.
Here you go: Costa Sands
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 13th Oct, '09, 16:09

phuketkaren wrote:Here's a pic of Langkawi suck to tempt your tastebuds....
Not tempted. Did I mention I'm off to Bali tomorrow? [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Oct, '09, 16:12

nev wrote:
phuketkaren wrote:Here's a pic of Langkawi suck to tempt your tastebuds....
Not tempted. Did I mention I'm off to Bali tomorrow? [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]
Oh! Rub it in! :mrgreen:

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 16:16

baloo wrote:
Fresh Mint wrote:I DO NOT want smart resort . I'm after cheapo beach.
Here you go: Costa Sands
I'm amazed you think $400 plus is cheap.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 13th Oct, '09, 16:17

phuketkaren wrote:How cheap?

Plenty of cheapo beach places on Phuket. I imagine Krabi probably has some bargains too. It's not Malaysia of course and you will pay more in the high season but, having said that, I think there's a lot of bargains about in Thailand. Depends what you want really.
I want Malaysia -- particularly as Air Zimbabwe are flying direct from Harare to KLR from Nov 1.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 13th Oct, '09, 16:22

The only places I have ever been in Malaysia that were passable as far as cheapie beach resorts go were Sea Gypsy Village and Kapas Island ( never been to Perhentians though ) Not at all impressed with Langkawi and I second what the others said about Tioman. It's fine if you don't mind plastic bags all over the beach. However, doesn't mean you can't have fun there. I still did, stayed in some very cheap huts, they are probably dead by now.
But true what they say about the monsoon weather though - it'll be dodgy and the seas rough - very much the down season. Which could work in your favour if you are looking for discounts?

edit: The place we used to stay at Kapas was a lovely, family run beach hut place but I think it may have changed management by now. The rest were nothing to write home about. Anybody got update? There's a cool bat cave there.

edit: Didnt stay here, but always thought it looked like my kinda place on a cheap day. Plenty of beach nearby.
http://www.myoutdoor.com/Kapas/resorts/ ... halet.html
Last edited by azzam on 13th Oct, '09, 16:30, edited 2 times in total.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 13th Oct, '09, 16:26

I almost forgot, do consider Rawa Island http://wikitravel.org/en/Rawa
It's about half an hour boat ride from Mersing, and it's heaps better than Tioman. There are only two resorts on the island (http://www.rawa.com.my/), but I would highly recommend the bigger one (http://www.rawasfr.com/). The food was great, room nice, and plenty of things to do for the kids and the adults (I'd highly recommend hiking up the wee hill, fantastic view from the top!). I've been there twice and both visits were great. Sandy beaches and lovely warm water. Here are some pics from my last visit, sorry for the poor quality, it was taken with a mobile phone.
Beach paradise.jpg
Day in the sun.jpg
Last edited by nev on 13th Oct, '09, 16:32, edited 3 times in total.

azzam

Post by azzam » 13th Oct, '09, 16:38

Closed from November to March, Nev :-(

Kapas too probably.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 13th Oct, '09, 16:49

You can fly to Tioman - you don't have to take a boat. I know people going this weekend by air - I think flying out of Seletar. But, if it's a rainy season and rough sea time, it probably wouldn't be so good. We have friends that go to Langkawai quite a lot - the fact that they keep going tells me it can't suck that bad :lol:

azzam

Post by azzam » 13th Oct, '09, 16:59

What was absolutely fabulous about Langkawi was the nature reserve. Of course, with the bum boats roaring around in it with their oversized engines, I doubt that it will have much nature left soon. But it was beautiful and I confess to enjoying the speed too :-)
The developed parts I thought, were plain ugly, in that way that only malaysia seems to know how to do...
I have rarely ever been anything but disappointed by what Malaysia does to her beaches. They need their backsides kicked.
Sorry if I sound sniffy but it's true. Take them to the Pacific, Minty.