Perth

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: Perth

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Mar, '08, 11:01

Wow, Fast Eddies, forgotten all about them, takes me back to some very late nights oh so long ago...one of the only places in central Melbourne you could sit down and get a hamburger or a bacon buttie at 3:30am... (OK I know I am talking about the other side of the country...just reminiscing)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Bender

Post by Bender » 18th Mar, '08, 15:03

nev wrote:Oh no :(
Yes it's a franchise, but the one in Freo has the best location :(
Freo's closed, apparently.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 8th Oct, '12, 13:24

Just hunted down this thread, knew there would be one :)

Part of our combined Big Birthday / End of Year trip includes a stopover in Perth, as we have to change flights there anyway. We've planned for 5 days there, to include NYE, and probably will not stay in the city itself at all. Not that I don't like it, for a small country town ;) but been there done that.

So, Margaret River - any updates on the information above? Recommended places to stay? Vineyards to visit? Other things to do?

Ta.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 8th Oct, '12, 13:30

There are some really nice houses/cottages to rent in Margaret River, friends of mine usually do that when staying there as there seems to be a great selection. I can find out more details if you like.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Oct, '12, 13:33

Yes please PP, thinking somewhere to use as a base, and will have a hire car - although I do appreciate we have left it late for the time of year and will have limited choice.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 8th Oct, '12, 19:17

What else is planned for the Birthday trip?!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Oct, '12, 19:47

Eco Beach, far away in time... :D

http://www.ecobeach.com.au/

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 8th Oct, '12, 20:06

Hope turtle isn't on the lunch menu [smilie=tease.gif]

Looks like a lovely way to end the Big Birthday year.

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 8th Oct, '12, 22:27

Vineyards I particularly enjoyed visiting in the Margaret River region were Edwards Wines www.edwardswines.com.au and Island Brook Estate www.islandbrook.com.au

Island Brook Estate also have chalets available to rent and the guy who was there when I popped by to sample some wines was super friendly and knowledgable about wines and grapes without none of the pretentiousness.

I also have to second the Little Creatures in Freo, but definitely head up to the Loft where the views are superb and you can enjoy a great bottle of wine & a bite to eat https://littlecreatures.com.au/galleries/fremantle-loft

Enjoy!
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 9th Oct, '12, 10:52

We've had some lovely meals at the restaurant at Brookland Valley winery - last time we went someone paid our bill by mistake. We were honest and told them so they gave us our meal for free.

If you fancy beer for a change, the DeckChair Brewery is nice on Sundays, with live music.

We stay at farmy/kiddie friendly places and I'm guessing you don't want that. I'll ask my sister where she stayed.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 9th Oct, '12, 12:25

Cheers m'dears.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 9th Oct, '12, 13:37

Must plan a trip to Perth, not been there for quite some time now and I do like my wine regions.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th Oct, '12, 14:44

Wouldn't you know it, two of the people I wanted to ask are away lazing on holiday in Thailand somewhere (sheesh hard life for some) and haven't got back to me. The other, my sister, is yet to return my email...but should do tonight, so I will let you know what she says when she does.

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 9th Oct, '12, 17:42

Fat Bob wrote:Must plan a trip to Perth, not been there for quite some time now and I do like my wine regions.
I'd like to go back again too!
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 9th Oct, '12, 20:19

Even though you aren't so much into wine these days, K, lunch at somewhere like Voyager is a must!

Now you have us all wishing for a another visit to the MR !!

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Perth

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 9th Oct, '12, 21:28

Scrummy Mummy wrote:We stay at farmy/kiddie friendly places and I'm guessing you don't want that. I'll ask my sister where she stayed.
Do you mean this place - http://www.denmark.com.au/?

We are going back to Perth the week after next. Last trip back, my little one was only 2-ish months old. This time round, she will be close to 16 months old; we can do more things with her.
Attachments
hello.jpg
hello.jpg (12.6 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th Oct, '12, 21:39

OK, well the advice I got back was to stay in Busselton rather than Margaret River as there are more cafes, restaurants etc and the vineyards etc are all an easy drive, it was just a generally nicer place to stay. All stayed in private houses rented out and found on sites like Stayz or the like, no particular specials they have changed each time they stay. The only exception was just out of Margaret River and was the Margaret's Beach Resort at Gnarabup Beach, the comment on that was OK, but a bit quiet and far away from anything else except its own restaurant/bar. I think she said its about 10km out of town.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 9th Oct, '12, 23:59

SunshineAfterRain wrote:
Scrummy Mummy wrote:We stay at farmy/kiddie friendly places and I'm guessing you don't want that. I'll ask my sister where she stayed.

We are going back to Perth the week after next. Last trip back, my little one was only 2-ish months old. This time round, she will be close to 16 months old; we can do more things with her.
No, we always stay at a farm place near Margaret River - Margaret River Hideaway. Been to Denmark, though, very nice.

PP: only been to Busselton once, but Margaret River is more sophisticated IMO.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 9th Oct, '12, 23:59

SunshineAfterRain wrote:

No, we always stay at a farm place near Margaret River - Margaret River Hideaway. Been to Denmark, though, very nice.

PP: only been to Busselton once, but Margaret River is more sophisticated IMO.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 10th Oct, '12, 03:36

God, it's all going on 4 years later. Will be in Perth (and it's environs) from 4th Nov for 5 days. Seems as if a day in Perth/Fremantle followed by 3 days in Margaret River is they way forwards. Now I just need to find some hotels
We are the TPF

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 10th Oct, '12, 04:49

Feel free to join us, folks :D

We're spending 5 days almost literally on the beach up north before we head down to this region so were thinking of staying a bit more inland, but I'll go through all the areas mentioned. All my first choices have been booked up - no surprises, expected it to be so - so this is taking much time on wotif, lastminute, stayz, and tripadvisor!

Rentals are limited unless we want to spend a fortune on a big house that will sleep 8 or so. B&Bs look lovely but we'd be slighly happier with a small kitchenette or a full-service hotel, in case most things are closed for a few days over the holidays.

What do you experts know about Yallingup as a location?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 10th Oct, '12, 10:27

Is booked. As is NYE dinner. Now we can all get on with our lives.

Thanks xxx

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Perth

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 10th Oct, '12, 12:15

We will be back from October 20th to November 3rd. Will definitely drive down to Margaret River and Denmark.
Last year, when we were in Perth in late September, it was raining most of the days and we can't do much! I was told that this time, the weather should be better.

Yeah, I need a break .....badly!
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 10th Oct, '12, 15:47

It's lovely here today.

BUT it's a fair bit colder down south than here. And we went to Margaret River/Pemberton/Denmark/Albany last year in late November and it was still quite cold and wet. We had to go and buy rain macs.

Still a great trip though, but take warm clothes.