Vegas (baby) to San Fran...

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Vegas (baby) to San Fran...

Post by JJ » 28th Feb, '11, 18:17

... the scenic route.

I was thinking that, as I will be in Vegas later in the year, I might rent a car and drive from there to San Fran stopping off at Yosemite and anything else of interest along the way. Planning perhaps a week?

Has anyone done that before, or knows that part of the world well, and can recommend anywhere that is worth a stopover?

Also, whats the best rent-a-car site? Am I right in assuming that I should go with one of the big ones (Hertz etc) as I will basically start in Vegas and drop off in San Fran..

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Vegas (baby) to San Fran...

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Feb, '11, 19:35

Having just been to Vegas followed on by San Fran, then I should be able to comment. However, I didn't do it in a car, flew to Reno/Tahoe to go skiing and then to Oakland to drive up to the Napa Valley: Napa is very nice indeed.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 28th Feb, '11, 21:59

We did think of driving up to Yosemite when we were in SFO but decided against it in the end (time was just too short). Driving up Napa is very nice indeed though

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 28th Feb, '11, 23:38

Napa is well worth the drive - and if the budget or time does not permit a visit to French Laundry, Bouchon is really quite good for a lunch stop :)

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 1st Mar, '11, 09:40

Have a look at a site like Travelocity.com for rental cars -- they will list pretty much all of the major ones (Hertz, Enterprise, Dollar, Avis, basically all the ones that are at any major airport) and you can choose based on price. Of course the price they quote will be rental fees only -- no insurance, GPS, etc., etc., so expect it to cost more than you are quoted in the end.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure there are 'additional fees' for dropping off at a different airport than you picked up - not sure how much more, but I know I've had to pay it before.
Last edited by slinky on 1st Mar, '11, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 1st Mar, '11, 09:49

Picking up the car at the airport would have cost me almost twice what I paid, so I chose to pick up the car at Fisherman's Wharf. The train to town costs about US$8. I shopped around and found that Dollar had the best rates.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 1st Mar, '11, 10:18

Oooh! French Laundry, now there's an idea!!! Thanks to all for suggestions and advice. Its been a while (about 12 years) since I have been to that part of the world. Its a work thing, with a tag-on week, so the time is limited, but looks like I could do a bit of Yosemite and a bit of Napa if I work it out well...

sluggo
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 1st Mar, '11, 12:57

I would be interested to see if you can get into the French Laundry as I hear they are booked a year in advance. But then I don't really know this for a fact. You may also try Sonoma Valley (next to Napa Valley) if you find Napa to be too crowded with tourist. Great wines, lovely countryside and a bit more laid back than Napa. The city of Sonoma is a nice place to stay and visit.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 1st Mar, '11, 13:27

I tried to get a table at the French Laundry about 2 months in advance, didn't get it of course. But then SF is full of amazing restaurants, so I'm sure you'll be spoiled for choices anyway. I liked these places. Not fine-dining establishments, nor anywhere near the same calibre as French Laundry, but they had excellent food:

Zuni Cafe
Tartine bakery the hot mocha and desserts are to die for!
Pizzaiolo
Chez Papa Bistrot

These are all local joints my friends took me to, but the reviews on yelp.com look good. I can assure you, the food was fantastic. Check out pics on my Facebook ;)

Also, check out this thread for more info: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5004
Last edited by nev on 1st Mar, '11, 16:11, edited 3 times in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Mar, '11, 16:48

In Napa itself I can recommend both Zuzu (Spanish tapas, very nice) and Allegra (Italian) restaurants.

I can also recommend the Arbour Guest House to stay and Platypus Tours for a wine tour.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 2nd Mar, '11, 06:10

I've done the drive from Vegas to Tahoe & then on to San Fran

Its a long one -north thru Nevada is nothing but straight road thru the desert. We did it because we had a very expensive turbo car we wanted to get our money's worth out of to be honest. Got up 130 MPH on some of the straightaways so we did what we set out to do, that trip North to Reno then over the border to Tahoe takes the better part of a day. If you're not interested in stopping at Tahoe (highly recommend) not worth drivng in my mind. The drive from Tahoeon to San Fran isnt short either also better part of a day

Yosemite & the roads to it are pretty much snowed in this time of the year. Often restricted to vehicles w/chains. If you aren't experienced w/driving in the snow w/chains wouldn't recommend trying it 1st time on this type of trip
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Mar, '11, 07:23

Thanks skank, you just justified my recent change of plans when we decided to fly from Reno to Oakland rather than drive from Reno to Napa. The dumping of 7ft of snow was great whilst skiing but I didn't fancy travelling those mountain passes considering how much driving in snow I've done over the last 11 years (i.e. none).

Poppy Appeal

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 25th May, '11, 17:44

So turns out I HAVE to go SQ - LAX with Delta. Gah. On top of detesting long haul, I dont think that this is going to be quite up to SIA standards :S Has anyone flown them longhaul to the US before?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th May, '11, 17:58

Yeah, they bought out Northworst, and that was where our miles were accumulated, so we're now flying Delta every time we go to the US.

They suck, but not any worse than any of the other US carriers making the trip. I swear they must routinely taser the cabin crew before they fly, they're all so happy to be there. BYO food.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 25th May, '11, 18:08

Oh goooood. I am SO excited. not.

So in addition to food, should I bring lots of books and my own DVD player? Please tell me they have something approaching in flight entertainment that a) is on a screen in front of you and b)you control and have some choice?

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '11, 18:09

Awww, be nice :lol: I've got a friend who works for Delta and does long haul flights for them - I'd venture to guess she's better than most flight attendants for US carriers (I know, not necessarily saying a lot, is it? :o )

One of the best domestic flight experiences I've had in recent years was a Delta flight. Captain who was quite a comedian and an in flight trivia game that was pretty fun too.

I can't comment on overseas flight with Delta though - all my miles are with UA. However, I'd bet there was a good reason Northwest (Northworst) was bought out and hopefully Delta is better. Good luck :)

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '11, 18:11

The domestic flight I was on had individual screens in economy and the ability to pay for movies - I'm guessing a long haul flight has screens and some choice, but can't guarantee it. Get on their website and see if you can find out.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 25th May, '11, 18:22

ahhh well.. its Delta all the way - long and short haul so I will be expert by the end of it all. I guess I should try for some good grace and look for the best in it. Thx for the tips tho. Will make sure I take a book and some dvds for the mac... might go with all those knock-off series DVDs that I have piled up to watch from VTN... and load up on sushi at narita.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th May, '11, 19:56

IIRC, the Asian leg, Singapore to Narita was pretty good, small screens on seat backs, good choice of entertainment, better food, very nice cabin crew. Then we boarded Tokyo to Minneapolis and no small screens, which was disappointing because it's the longest flight ever, so piped in movies on the screens in front of the cabin, crew seemed very busy all the time. Food...ugh. But it's a plane, I know.

But if I think about it, Delta is better than Northworst.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.