Travel Health

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Travel Health

Post by Tas » 11th Mar, '11, 10:50

Thought the article was too long and went on a bit :http://www.smh.com.au/travel/traveller- ... 1bp74.html But the list a brief summary and reminder.

Pretty sure I was jabbed painfully for about +80% of these again last year, but couldn't remember the of Japanese encephalitis one, so inspired the post. :

TRAVEL ILLNESS TIPS

Most travellers come home from their trips perfectly healthy. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so take reasonable protections against these illnesses:

- Travellers' diarrhea: The most common travel illness, this comes when you eat food or drink water that contain bacteria unfamiliar to your system. Treat with Imodium or antibiotics if it is persistent. An estimated 10 percent- 20 percent of all international travellers complain of this ailment.

- Malaria: Parasitic disease spread by mosquitoes, causing fever, chills and other complications; untreated it can be fatal. Prevention is not absolute, but if you take medication, use DEET lotions and avoid mosquitoes when travelling, you will cut your risk.

- Yellow fever: Potentially fatal viral fever spread by mosquitoes. Proof of vaccination is mandatory for visiting certain countries. Vaccination will protect you for 10 years.

- Typhoid: Bacterial infection, potentially fatal, spread by contaminated food and water. An oral immunisation protects for 5 years.

- Hepatitis A and B: The A virus is spread by contaminated food and water; B is from blood or bodily fluids. A series of three immunisations (Twinrix) protects you.

- Polio: You might think polio was wiped out, but it's not true. A polio booster protects travellers previously immunised.

- Meningitis: Inflammation of brain and spinal cord fluid caused by infection; the bacterial kind can kill you. An immunisation protects you.

- Measles, mumps, TB: These still exist around the world. Make sure your regular immunisations are up to date.

- H1N1 flu: The pandemic is over and the amount of flu is back to normal this year in the world, according to the World Health Organisation.

- Dengue fever, West Nile virus, Rift Valley fever, hemorrhagic fever, Chikungunya: These viruses are mostly spread by mosquitoes or ticks at various spots around the world. No immunisations are available, so take precautions to avoid mosquito bites.

- Japanese encephalitis: Serious brain inflammation disease, transmitted by mosquitoes. An immunisation exists.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Travel Health

Post by Sardonicus » 11th Mar, '11, 22:49

Doesn't mention the prophylactic I took for Malaria when I traveled to Cambodia and Viet Nam in '95. Forgot the name of it but after wards heard that the prevention has some undesirable side-effects.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Mar, '11, 09:13

That'll be Larium (mefloquine). Only taken anti-malaria tabs once since I've been in Singapore and visited countless other countries. Mossie repellent spray is much more effective, just gotta remember it when on rugby tour!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 12th Mar, '11, 11:59

Yep, that's what it was.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 12th Mar, '11, 12:07

Larium is scary shit but which malaria medication you need to take depends on the area you are visiting. I've taken other malaria tabs (e.g., for Central America) without wanting to kill myself.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 13th Mar, '11, 04:25

My cousin and his (then new) girlfriend were staying at my aunt and uncle after a bout of travelling when, in the middle of the night his girlfriend jumped out of bed, screaming, and ran downstairs. In the course of which she met my alarmed Uncle who'd just got out of bed to see what the fuss was about. She jumped on him, clutching him, and refusing to let go until she was physically dragged off him.

She was completely naked at the time.

None of us has taken Larium since.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 14th Mar, '11, 11:56

cromasaig wrote:My cousin and his (then new) girlfriend were staying at my aunt and uncle after a bout of travelling when, in the middle of the night his girlfriend jumped out of bed, screaming, and ran downstairs. In the course of which she met my alarmed Uncle who'd just got out of bed to see what the fuss was about. She jumped on him, clutching him, and refusing to let go until she was physically dragged off him.

Wow. Bet she was beyond embarrassed :shock:

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 14th Mar, '11, 12:55

I took Larium in the late 90s when doing work in West Africa. Nothing major except mad technicolour dreams. Any side effects are better than Malaria though...
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Mar, '11, 16:13

Doesn't mention STDs. There again, prevention is better than cure again: Don't shag cheap whores.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 14th Mar, '11, 16:26

Just expensive ones then?
We are the TPF

cromasaig
Going Postal

Post by cromasaig » 14th Mar, '11, 22:11

slinky wrote:
cromasaig wrote:My cousin and his (then new) girlfriend were staying at my aunt and uncle after a bout of travelling when, in the middle of the night his girlfriend jumped out of bed, screaming, and ran downstairs. In the course of which she met my alarmed Uncle who'd just got out of bed to see what the fuss was about. She jumped on him, clutching him, and refusing to let go until she was physically dragged off him.

Wow. Bet she was beyond embarrassed :shock:
Yep. Unsurprisingly, she told no-one. My aunt & uncle told no-one. My darling cousin told everyone he possibly could.

Must've got away with it though; she's currently expecting their fourth child.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Mar, '11, 22:20

Or everyone has heard and no one else wants her.....

Poppy Appeal

cromasaig
Going Postal

Post by cromasaig » 14th Mar, '11, 22:37

It's hard to believe you haven't already been snapped up FB.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 15th Mar, '11, 07:10

Actually the STD thing is quite a good point, as Gwyneth said on Glee, everyone has had a random.

Another thing that should be mentioned up there right after the Immodium, is Metamucil or the equivalent little green over the counter herbal tablets that help things along - without going into detail, I've had enough travel experience, and had enough conversations with a lot of chaps to know that they are needed/used more often than the Immodium...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Mar, '11, 07:57

Surely a good curry can help you there? But yes, eating well whilst on trips is important and sometimes not that easy, and hence supplements like that may help.

Oh, and a Berocca for the morning!

Poppy Appeal

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 15th Mar, '11, 16:06

I took Paludrin anti malarial almost continuously for three years when going back and forth to Africa. Never caused me to run about naked screaming though. It was normally the bed bugs in cheap African hotels that made me do that.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 4th Apr, '11, 14:04

urgh, should have re-read my own lists. 3 weeks of the same montonous food and my body hates me, it really hates rice again too.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Apr, '11, 19:10

My problem a week or so ago was the lack of variety in my diet too. The only green thing near my mouth all weekend was a beer bottle.
Last edited by Fat Bob on 4th Apr, '11, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 4th Apr, '11, 20:51

Saw this while in Thailand last week: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2011/03/ ... y-website/

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 5th Apr, '11, 08:14

Fat Bob wrote:My problem a week or so ago was the lack of variety in my diet too. The only green thing near my mouth all weekend was a beer bottle.
:lol:

lincolnscofield111
Lurker
Mood: good

Post by lincolnscofield111 » 20th Apr, '11, 21:15

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have my own opinion on it, people should avoid drinking water on travel instead of this they can take boiled water from home. This tips will keep a person safe from various disease at a single time.

ankitadas
Lurker

Post by ankitadas » 16th May, '11, 19:00

But how it can be possible to have the same water through out the trip. I think everyone should take some mineral water.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 17th May, '11, 05:20

Oh dear.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th May, '11, 08:03

ankitadas wrote:But how it can be possible to have the same water through out the trip. I think everyone should take some mineral water.
It is possible to have the same water during your whole trip: drink your own pee. You're just cutting out the middle man (Singapore's Newater company) so you'll be saving a bundle.

You may want to refrigerate it first.

Poppy Appeal

luca mike
Spammer

Post by luca mike » 3rd Jun, '11, 19:51

Tas wrote:Thought the article was too long and went on a bit :http://www.smh.com.au/travel/traveller- ... 1bp74.html But the list a brief summary and reminder.

Pretty sure I was jabbed painfully for about +80% of these again last year, but couldn't remember the of Japanese encephalitis one, so inspired the post. :

TRAVEL ILLNESS TIPS

Most travellers come home from their trips perfectly healthy. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so take reasonable protections against these illnesses:

- Travellers' diarrhea: The most common travel illness, this comes when you eat food or drink water that contain bacteria unfamiliar to your system. Treat with Imodium or antibiotics if it is persistent. An estimated 10 percent- 20 percent of all international travellers complain of this ailment.

- Malaria: Parasitic disease spread by mosquitoes, causing fever, chills and other complications; untreated it can be fatal. Prevention is not absolute, but if you take medication, use DEET lotions and avoid mosquitoes when travelling, you will cut your risk.

- Yellow fever: Potentially fatal viral fever spread by mosquitoes. Proof of vaccination is mandatory for visiting certain countries. Vaccination will protect you for 10 years.

- Typhoid: Bacterial infection, potentially fatal, spread by contaminated food and water. An oral immunisation protects for 5 years.

- Hepatitis A and B: The A virus is spread by contaminated food and water; B is from blood or bodily fluids. A series of three immunisations (Twinrix) protects you.

- Polio: You might think polio was wiped out, but it's not true. A polio booster protects travellers previously immunised.

- Meningitis: Inflammation of brain and spinal cord fluid caused by infection; the bacterial kind can kill you. An immunisation protects you.

- Measles, mumps, TB: These still exist around the world. Make sure your regular immunisations are up to date.

- H1N1 flu: The pandemic is over and the amount of flu is back to normal this year in the world, according to the World Health Organisation.

- Dengue fever, West Nile virus, Rift Valley fever, hemorrhagic fever, Chikungunya: These viruses are mostly spread by mosquitoes or ticks at various spots around the world. No immunisations are available, so take precautions to avoid mosquito bites.

- Japanese encephalitis: Serious brain inflammation disease, transmitted by mosquitoes. An immunisation exists.

nice tips..........