Air Asia To London

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Air Asia To London

Post by Spike » 14th Mar, '11, 19:32

I'm planning to do a farily expensive two-week trip to England and France in August and I'm tempted by Air Asia's return fare. SingAir quotes $2,371, BA $1,969, Air Asia $1,521. Anyone got any experience of doing Air Asia to Blighty?
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Air Asia To London

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Mar, '11, 19:52

Sounds absolutely horrible! How are the timings for when you get into KL and leave?

And if you're willing to stop, why aren't you looking at Malaysian Airlines, Thai Airways, Emirates, Qatar....try out www.airfares.com.sg to see if any other airlines are suitable.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 14th Mar, '11, 20:03

Hmm...thanks FB. Qatar looks like less than $1,600. So next question. Anyone had any experience or lost baggage in transit with Qatar Air?
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 14th Mar, '11, 21:03

Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Mar, '11, 22:05

I have been on Emirates and was impressed, and know several people that use it rather than direct flights to Heathrow. Option with Emirates is you can fly to 3-4 UK airports in case you don't want to go to London (Birmingham, Manchester, Aberdeen I believe are all options, but you'll have to confirm yourself)
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 15th Mar, '11, 04:15

Neo did at least part of an emergency trip to the UK last year with Emirates; thought they were fine. I know a lot of expats in Oz use them.

Qatar airport is Doha, right? The BiL did that when he came to stay with us in Sg, and the transit time was silly - especially as he had a baby with him.

My HoD, who is moving back to Blighty, has a 12 hour flight with no TVs as part of his journey - with 3 small children. :shock:

I really don't recommend budget long-haul travel.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 15th Mar, '11, 07:14

I've travelled with Malaysian Air, siblings did their long haul Europe flight with them and were pretty happy too. I'd pick them first as my Budget carrier. Lots of people I've spoken with rate Emirates pretty well. Personally, I'm quite a fan of Cathay Pacific, and tend to pick them first after QA, but I don't think that works for you as their base is HK.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Mar, '11, 07:54

Oh, Eithad as well. That's via Abu Dhabi.
Last edited by Fat Bob on 15th Mar, '11, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

Poppy Appeal

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 15th Mar, '11, 09:42

I've flown Malaysian Airlines long-haul (from KL to NY), it's excellent. Service is better and more genuine than SQ, the food is also much better. Only downside was the horrid male flight attendant uniform.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 15th Mar, '11, 15:45

Thanks all. Now I'm even more confused. So much choice. I had looked at Qatar before and the transit times in Doha were very silly, 8-9 hours. Looking at their latest schedule, transit times are around 2 hours, much more civilised.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Mar, '11, 16:53

Personally, if I can't afford to go direct, my next option is to stop half way. Stopping at either end is a right b@st@rd, as you're almost at your destination but you have a 3 hour wait at some shitty airport and then a hour or so in the sky - hated it the two times I've been forced to do it (i.e. someone else paid).

The Qatar/Emirates/Eithad all look reasonable, newish planes etc.

Poppy Appeal

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 16th Mar, '11, 17:18

Emirates is good because of the 30kg baggage allowance but their B767's have a extra seat in each row compared to other airlines. makes it rather cramped. Dubai-Heathrow leg is ok if you book on the A380

Service has really gone downhill though

nighatwasim88
Lurker

Post by nighatwasim88 » 22nd Nov, '11, 17:42

this is a nice topic Air Asia To London. [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif]