Kris Flyer Point

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Kris Flyer Point

Post by Tas » 16th May, '11, 10:57

Aside from the fact that I've rang Kris Flyer asking for assistance and they managed to help me get my account shut down for 24hrs (utterly useles people, if quite pleasant)

It seems I have 16754 that are going to expire this month. Apparently once I get an account working again I can extend them for 6months for a fee. If I'm not going to end up ever using the damn things (I have about 36000) is it possible to transfer points to friends so at least someone can use them? I thought I might get a clearer answer here from experience rather than trying to ask the patiet but unclear phone girl...

Kris flyer is seeming a tad useless for this Aus based folks...
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Kris Flyer Point

Post by Fat Bob » 16th May, '11, 11:42

It's not possible to transfer points between people (unless you are either PPS or PPS Solitaire), but it is possible for you to give flights out to people who are on your Nominated List. You can have up to 4 people on your list and you can change them.

36k miles will get you 1-2 trips, depending on where you (or your friends) want to go:

12750 miles to Indonesia and Malaysia
21250 miles to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Myanmar
25500 miles to HK, South China and Taiwan
34000 miles to Beijing or Shanghai

You could also book one-way flights from Australia to Singapore, and then get either a 1-way ticket or alternate airline award to go back.

All would have to be in economy saver and booked online to get 15% discount. However, these are the saver type of trips and tend to have limited availability. For instance, though it is possible to book trips to Bali for 15k miles, I can't remember the last time I managed to do it.

I am going to Vietnam in November that I could do with flying SQ rather than budgie carrier (hockey trip - goalie kit is LARGE) which will cost 21250 miles. I'll happily pay the tax and send down a donation to your account should you say "yes".

That'll still leave you 14k which will be enough for a trip to Indo/Malaysia. Which I could possibly use as well if you have no other takers!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 16th May, '11, 12:00

Bob, those miles mentioned are from Singapore base yes?

Thanks for the nominated list info, that's pretty much what I needed to understand. If I can extend them for 6 months for the small point fee, I will do. This will give me a bit of a chance to work out what to do with them and ask family if they have a use, before they expire which seems a waste. FB as they've been sitting on my card for literally years and starting to expire, happy to negotiate something with you if no other or family or other close friend takers come along - which reminds me my little sister might want to do something!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th May, '11, 15:16

Yes, all numbers are from Singapore to that country (or from that country to Singapore). There are Australia to Singapore options, so all depends where you start from here.

The redeem miles charts are available here
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 16th May, '11, 16:04

I think I just lost a ton of them, that I received after my Awfully Big Adventure last year. I ended up with a higher status than Neo but haven't flown with SQ since (more's the pity).

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 16th May, '11, 17:33

Reminds me to check mine - do SQ send reminders when points will expire like some other carriers do?

I was wondering also if you could maintain SQ points by transferring them to a Star Alliance carrier, or doing a flight on a SA carrier and applying the points to SQ.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 16th May, '11, 20:02

Thanks for the reminder, Tas, got some about to expire too. No problem using them up on a little trip to the Lion state.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th May, '11, 08:11

Sardonicus wrote:Reminds me to check mine - do SQ send reminders when points will expire like some other carriers do?

I was wondering also if you could maintain SQ points by transferring them to a Star Alliance carrier, or doing a flight on a SA carrier and applying the points to SQ.
You should get a monthly quarterly statement via email from them which includes a "Expiring Miles" section, however, go in and check your settings to make sure it's being sent to a place you look at.

You can not transfer miles to another carrier if you are on a basic tier. You can book flights on other carriers, but you can not transfer points. It's pretty much 3 years (plus an extension).

Just checked out extension rules: you can use miles to extend them. It costs 1,200 miles to extend 10,000 miles for 6 months, and you can only extend once.

Airmiles are one of the most common things people forget to use, and the airline's liability is sometimes huge until they have been written off. I did hear that if everyone used their airmiles in the same year, the airline industry would fail. Use it or lose it ladies!
Last edited by Fat Bob on 17th May, '11, 08:16, edited 2 times in total.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 17th May, '11, 08:13

I've got a quarterly email reminder, which is what prompted the post here. Guess it depends if you're signed up with an email for that reminder Sardy. (Which means the last one I got was at a very busy time when I wasn't paying attention to what looked like junk mail at the time)

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 17th May, '11, 12:56

OK inspired by this thread, I just logged in and have 45229 miles, 7824 of which are due to expire this month but have not yet.

I really should pay more attention to this kind of thing.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 17th May, '11, 23:34

Odd, have not had a KrisFlyer email since last year....calling tomorrow
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 18th May, '11, 09:44

United's program (also Star Alliance) seems to automatically extend all miles as long as you fly any Star Alliance carrier occasionally. I've never had any expire in 10 years, though I've only redeemed miles two or three times (which is why I have about 400,000 miles, need to use them more!). FYI in case you are looking for a different Star Alliance FF program.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 18th May, '11, 12:23

Having excess points is not a problem. Not using them and paying for fares is criminal. Shame on the lot of you!

Seriously, you can get some good flights using miles, i think i travelled most of last year on miles: Australia, Maldives and South Africa all on business all within 18 months. I'm currently building up again.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 18th May, '11, 12:30

It's been a useful thread in the end I see. Comes down also to the suitability of program to where you are based obviously Bob. Singapore is a fantastic location to base yourself for short flights and Kris Flyer the right program. Being Sydney based, Qantas FF is better suited for use on domestic programme, it's been harder to use up the Kris Flyer points without making a major international effort out of it (only joined for free on a couple business flights with work, but don't want to waste the pts now got them).

T2K that's a huge amount of miles to do some good stuff from Singapore! At the minimum using to upgrad any longer personal flights.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 18th May, '11, 13:47

i still have 125,000 Skymiles that i don't know what to do with. don't even know where i can use them other than with Delta...

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 18th May, '11, 15:55

Delta flies into Singapore now, M. Not sure where all they go besides the US, but pretty sure they at least go to Japan.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 18th May, '11, 19:07

You're right, they do fly to Japan, am about to use them for a flight there. Used them before for the same, must say they were much better than I expected or their reputation suggests.

What T2K said about Star Alliance is what I was referring to, fly an alliance member and maybe you/I can retain Kris mileage.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 18th May, '11, 19:18

I notice that Singapore Airlines airmiles offer is pathetic. Nothing AT all for cattle class flights despite making countless long haul trips per year.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 18th May, '11, 19:24

My miles were earned in cattle class, just not on sale tickets.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 18th May, '11, 19:27

Really. I know htat Mr. Sate buys them off the internet but surely it can't always be a discounted ticket if bought over the internet can it?

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 18th May, '11, 23:06

For Kris miles, I think I just resigned myself to only use them as upgrades, I don't think it's too easy to actually get a flight out of it. Not sure if you can use them on SilkAir.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 18th May, '11, 23:06

Morrolan wrote:i still have 125,000 Skymiles that i don't know what to do with. don't even know where i can use them other than with Delta...
If you've got not plans to use them on Skymiles, you can always use Points.com to transfer them. I transfered about 20k of Asiamiles into Amazon vouchers.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 19th May, '11, 05:30

Sardonicus wrote:For Kris miles, I think I just resigned myself to only use them as upgrades, I don't think it's too easy to actually get a flight out of it. Not sure if you can use them on SilkAir.
in six years in Singapore, we honestly hardly ever paid for flights. Neo travelled so much for work that we got them all courtesy of Krisflyer - and we went to the UK at least once a year, plus countless small trips and one or two to Oz. (Coming here and having to pay for flights was a shock :lol: but then it's a trade off - I see more of Neo, which was the plan. Hmmm, she says, when he's away for the 2nd time in a week...)

We went to Sulawesi on SilkAir - I think on miles. We did one trip in BC too (Bali, I think, would that have been SilkAir too?), because there were no Econ seats available.

Neo only ever travelled BC for work once (to Korea), the rest were Economy flights. Full price ones booked through the corporate TA, and that's why we got so many miles.

When you book flights on the net you should be able to tell what type they are - some are fully flexible, some are semi, and some come with a whole heap of conditions and no miles. It's only because I was booking whatever I could get last year, to get to the UK, that I have any.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 19th May, '11, 07:52

Can use Krysflyer miles on Silkair. Go through the Singapore Air website. They are mostly cheap flights (miles-wise) to Indon, Malaysia, Cambodia. So good use of miles.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 19th May, '11, 09:12

Fat Bob wrote:
Morrolan wrote:i still have 125,000 Skymiles that i don't know what to do with. don't even know where i can use them other than with Delta...
If you've got not plans to use them on Skymiles, you can always use Points.com to transfer them. I transfered about 20k of Asiamiles into Amazon vouchers.
that sounds like a good idea. will check that out.
Last edited by Morrolan on 19th May, '11, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.