Inspiring Nature and Travel images

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Inspiring Nature and Travel images

Post by Tas » 6th Oct, '11, 13:38

http://www.thecoolhunter.com.au/lifestyle

Some very cool shots from around the globe on this web page, it almost enough to get my travel juices running again (not my camera skills, don't have any to start with) I posted not even best pic, but one that struck me because of the number of times popping through Hong Kong and being utterly ignorant of the temple presence on Lantau Island and likely worth a visit.
temp2.jpg
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Inspiring Nature and Travel images

Post by Fat Bob » 6th Oct, '11, 14:34

Why do people visit temples and the like?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 6th Oct, '11, 16:27

Ooh, its the Tian Tan, or big buddha, the view from up there is spectacular...we went several times when living there, in fact when my son was only two he climbed right up all of those stairs on his own...not a bad feat since half the adults who were doing it had to stop and take rests!

You can quite often spot the buddha as you land at HK...it is just on the other side of the island from the airport and looks out towards the sea rather than HK city. They have a gondola chairlift thing there now from Tung Chung, but it is way more exciting to take the bus.

Of course if you don't go on a clear (do they still have them?) day it is just a big buddha on a hill... [smilie=whistle.gif]
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 6th Oct, '11, 16:57

Tas wrote:http://www.thecoolhunter.com.au/lifestyle

Some very cool shots from around the globe on this web page, it almost enough to get my travel juices running again (not my camera skills, don't have any to start with) I posted not even best pic, but one that struck me because of the number of times popping through Hong Kong and being utterly ignorant of the temple presence on Lantau Island and likely worth a visit.
temp2.jpg
Ok...I'm inspired...HK is now on my very long list of places to visit...
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 6th Oct, '11, 17:11

I really like Chung Chau Island , go there for lunch .......

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 7th Oct, '11, 10:24

Fat Bob wrote:Why do people visit temples and the like?
I get bored after a bit when I've seen one after the other, but when I have visited, it was more the interest in the level of effort and scale that relied on brute strenght, and the relationship and or differences to modern cities built with modern machinery and tools. Then sometimes its a view of an object of art just smacked in the middle of forest or nothing much at all, there's that physical juxtposition that is interesting to the mind. Then others might do for religious or spiritual reasons. I'm sure some people think diving is a bit of a nuts activity involving stupid monies and efforts, or constantly getting pissed at rugby weekends would get monotonous after a few years. Each to their own passions Bob.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Oct, '11, 14:06

I can possibly understand the art side of things, or the complexity of the architecture in a time when complex things were REALLY complex. However, I'm with you that once you've seen one on a tour of a hundred, do you really need to see the other 100?

Religious or spiritual reasons: I'm of the belief that if God is everywhere, you can be religious everywhere. Same with spirituality. Why don't people who understand and belive that stuff understand this basic part of their faith?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 7th Oct, '11, 18:52

Love visiting churches, temples etc. They're normally beautiful architectural objects in their own right, and often have stunning works of art inside. I'll often pop into one if I'm passing pretty much anywhere.

Many of these places - and often not the grandest of them - have a real sense of the spiritual about them, and inspire (in me at least) a sense of peace, or awe. Now I'm an atheist, so I don't believe that comes from any spiritual being, but from the building itself. If it has that effect on someone in 2011, It's hard to overestimate how powerful that must have seemed to someone living in a single-storey cottage hundreds of years ago. Makes me worship the powers of architecture.

The kids are still pretty amenable about visiting churches. They'll ask if they can go in. And are happy to accept the answer "no, because it's Sunday". :D

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 10th Oct, '11, 08:45

As I look again at this web page, I wonder why the emphasis of this discussion ended up about temples, the majority of the pictures are gorgeous nature shots and rejuvination garden projects. Then the global shots pop up.

One for Daff :D Coron Palawan, Philippines
temp3.jpg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 10th Oct, '11, 09:28

cromasaig wrote:Love visiting churches, temples etc. They're normally beautiful architectural objects in their own right, and often have stunning works of art inside. I'll often pop into one if I'm passing pretty much anywhere.

Many of these places - and often not the grandest of them - have a real sense of the spiritual about them, and inspire (in me at least) a sense of peace, or awe. Now I'm an atheist, so I don't believe that comes from any spiritual being, but from the building itself. If it has that effect on someone in 2011, It's hard to overestimate how powerful that must have seemed to someone living in a single-storey cottage hundreds of years ago. Makes me worship the powers of architecture.

The kids are still pretty amenable about visiting churches. They'll ask if they can go in. And are happy to accept the answer "no, because it's Sunday". :D
The churches in Singapore are awful, but there is one nice one that I love to visit. The Armenian church on Hill Street. It's tiny, round, very simple neo-palladian, extremely suited to the tropics, kind of like colonial chapel meets black-and-white bungalow. Very nice.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Oct, '11, 13:24

My friend had his wedding their a few weeks ago. I was "meh" on it.

Poppy Appeal

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 10th Oct, '11, 16:59

Lili Von Shtupp wrote: The churches in Singapore are awful, but there is one nice one that I love to visit. The Armenian church on Hill Street. It's tiny, round, very simple neo-palladian, extremely suited to the tropics, kind of like colonial chapel meets black-and-white bungalow. Very nice.
Agree completely. That church and its garden create a lovely little oasis of serenity. Fascinating B&W photos of the old community inside.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 11th Oct, '11, 08:56

Fat Bob wrote:However, I'm with you that once you've seen one on a tour of a hundred, do you really need to see the other 100?
After approximately 40 years of commercial & pleasure diving, one might say the same thing about reefs and such. After all, like architecture, it's the nuances created by the builders that make each and every one "different". ;)