Singapore to San Diego

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Singapore to San Diego

Post by nev » 30th Jan, '12, 17:21

I have to go to La Jolla, California for work in April. It seems I have three options:

1. Fly from Singapore to LAX then drive to La Jolla (2 hours drive)
2. Fly from Singapore to LAX then San Diego (40 mins flight)
3. Fly from Singapore to SFO then San Diego (1 hr 30 mins flight)

Which option would you choose? Why?

Any recommendations for fun things to do in San Diego? I'll have an entire Saturday and Sunday free, plus three evenings.

Thanks in advance! [smilie=mango.gif] [smilie=mango.gif]
Last edited by nev on 30th Jan, '12, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Singapore to San Diego

Post by slinky » 30th Jan, '12, 17:30

Go to Coronado Island and have a meal at the Hotel Del Coronado -- Built in 1888, this classic beachfront respite has long been heralded as one of America’s most beautiful beach resorts. (If you go for breakfast, it's entirely possible, if not probable, that you'll get a nice view of the Navy Seals running on the beach ;) )

And of course there is: Legoland!

Edit: Oh, I probably wouldn't drive - LA traffic can be horrendous, but maybe Skank can comment more accurately :)

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 30th Jan, '12, 17:37

slinky wrote:Go to Coronado Island and have a meal at the Hotel Del Coronado -- Built in 1888, this classic beachfront respite has long been heralded as one of America’s most beautiful beach resorts. (If you go for breakfast, it's entirely possible, if not probable, that you'll get a nice view of the Navy Seals running on the beach ;) )

And of course there is: Legoland!

Edit: Oh, I probably wouldn't drive - LA traffic can be horrendous, but maybe Skank can comment more accurately :)
Coronado looks awesome but my boss will kill me when I come back... the cheapest room is US$340/night :( Navy Seals sound tempting though.

Legoland :shock: I'm so not that kind of girl.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 30th Jan, '12, 17:46

You can still go for a meal - not necessary to stay at the hotel (although it would be great).

I've not been to Legoland, but it looks like fun :D

My brother was in the Navy and lived in San Diego for awhile. We were there back in 1996, I think. I remember Old Town being pretty interesting. I'll see what he recommends :)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Jan, '12, 18:57

I'd do the 2 hour drive. Looks like a nice coast road going south.

If you fly, you will have to leave plenty of time between flights in order to clear customs and passport control. I've had both good and bad experiences on the west coast, the best being less than 30 mins at both LAX and SFO, the worst being 3 hours at LAX.

You will also have to get from San Diego airport to where ever you are staying, so that's another 30+mins (unless someone can pick you up if you get to San Diego).

Not been anywhere there so no idea what you can do.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 30th Jan, '12, 21:31

Find Carmen SanDiego.

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 31st Jan, '12, 06:26

The Pacific Surfliner Train from LA to San Diego is cheap & runs along side the ocean at times
Very fun. Its popular w/people who make day trips back & forth as they get to work or relax on the train

Probably best is to rent a car at LAX & just drive it everywhere then turn it in when u leave & get on your flight to Singapore. The drive from LAX to La Jolla will be quicker than just changing from International to a Domestic flight anyhow. Also Functioning in SoCal w/o a vehicle is close to impossible

La Jolla is a very nice place. Everyone in America wants to live in La Jolla. Its the Noosa Heads of the USA
Dont worry just being there is enough you can just eat breakfast at cafe's on the beach etc
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 31st Jan, '12, 14:06

skank-la wrote:The drive from LAX to La Jolla will be quicker than just changing from International to a Domestic flight anyhow.
Are you serious?? :shock:

I don't mind driving, but I heard LA traffic is a nightmare even when it's not rush hour. Is it true?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 31st Jan, '12, 14:26

nev wrote:
skank-la wrote:The drive from LAX to La Jolla will be quicker than just changing from International to a Domestic flight anyhow.

I don't mind driving, but I heard LA traffic is a nightmare even when it's not rush hour. Is it true?
it was fine back in '95...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 31st Jan, '12, 17:29

nev wrote:

I think the big time eaters at airports is the amount of waiting.

40 min flight plus 30 mins check in before plus 20 mins waiting for baggage. So you're already on 1.5 hours if you fly, and then you've got 20-30 mins from San Diego to La Jolla, plus waiting time between landing and taking off.

Drive. you can stop at cafes, beaches, make a road trip, rent a drop-top car.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

skank-la

Post by skank-la » 31st Jan, '12, 22:46

What day of the week & what time of day do you land?
Then I can give you an indication of the drive time

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 31st Jan, '12, 23:02

Thanks! I'll be arriving at 1.30PM on a Friday. Will probably be in the rental car ready to go around 3PM?

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 31st Jan, '12, 23:48

very inconsiderate that you aren't going to SF in March which is when i'll be there! Sigh!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

skank-la

Post by skank-la » 1st Feb, '12, 00:09

3PM Friday is probably the absolute worst traffic of the week - really -sorry to have to tell you that
Friday mid afternoon till around 7PM is what we call 'bump & grind' out on the freeway -
Shades of Bangkok- Manila etc
100.3 Good Tunes/ 89.3 NPR/ 88.1 jazz - enjoy the radio :mrgreen:

The drive under normal circumstance would be around 90 minutes - at that time probably 2-2&1/2 hours
straight down the 405 from LAX to La Jolla basically

BTW my brother just recently bought a home in La Jolla but he & his family have lived there for years. I'll PM you his Email.He can give you more info

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 1st Feb, '12, 07:40

I love trains, as a bit of the odd traveller m'self, I that sounded like the best option to me if you're clever with the luggage. Hadn't ever considered that factoid, so now storing away in my book of ideas about trips state side. Friday afternoon is hell every where in every major city, particularly in the direction of coast!!!!
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 1st Feb, '12, 10:00

chocolate, you can always come again in April! I'll probably be in SF in September and October, perhaps you can plan another trip?

skank: Thanks for the heads up! I'll drop your brother an email closer to the date. I'll probably be OK with a bit of traffic... can't be worse than Jakarta, right? I'm curious though, why would traffic be so heavy at 3PM? Don't people need to work until 5.30PM?

Tassie, I'm never very smart with the luggage and always end up packing way too much, so trains are probably not my best choice here. Plus there doesn't seem to be a station at the airport (can anyone confirm?)

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 1st Feb, '12, 11:33

It should be like other major cities that there is either a light rail or bus link to interstate/country link stations. As for 3PM I imagine it's like a lot of places, people manage their time during the week to leave early for the weekend. It was less common in Singapore because they're all so Kiasu about leaving after the boss, or Psycho control freak managers who will never understand flexi hours or time efficiency - after a while one forgets what is normal. We've got guys here that start between from 6am to 7am every day with full days achieving 40+hrs to be out of office by 2pm on Fridays - we have some sensible bosses that allow for this subject to all business needs being met. And also ~3-4 pm is end school hours when the families head out the door in the SUV for the weekend stuff.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 1st Feb, '12, 14:27

Bloody h*ll it's Coachella weekend. Traffic is going to be insane :shock:

skank-la

Post by skank-la » 2nd Feb, '12, 07:06

Coachella is well East of LA in the Desert toward (past) where we live & wont have any traffic impact; its spread over 3 days. Wont make a difference trafficwise for you as you are heading South completely away from it
(too bad you cant go for a day)

However since people come from all over the world for Coachella it will suck up rental cars, book a car NOW

A Dodgers, Angels or USC game at the Coliseum (100,000 seat venue) generates as much or more traffic than Coachella

It gets truely nuts when we have Angels, Dodger, World Surf Championship, Monster Jam, Big Concert at Hollywood Bowl etc all at once

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 2nd Feb, '12, 22:31

Coachella is sold out before my trip was confirmed... Would have gone otherwise.

Yup flight and car booked, thanks for the tip!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 5th Apr, '12, 13:12

Finally decided to do SIN-LAX-SAN instead of driving. I remember driving from SFO to Sacramento after a SIN-SFO flight and I could barely keep my eyes open... while driving on the wrong side of the road! I'm lucky I'm still alive.

A good friend is flying in from SF for the weekend so I'll have a partner in crime [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif] We're planning to do the following:
Saturday: a browse through the farmer's market (Little Italy Mercato) for brunch, then head to the beach for a walk/sightseeing, maybe a visit to Birch Aquarium. Dinner at Burlap, which is supposed to be really good.
Sunday: a quick run to the outlet mall (one of the best things about America!), then Coronado Island. Dinner at Georges at the Cove, famous for the food and the gorgeous sunset.

Anything else I should not miss?

There's something I'd really like to see, the grunion run. Has anybody done this? It's between 10:30 p.m. - 12:30 a.m. so it better be worth staying up late for.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 5th Apr, '12, 21:06

Don't forget to look for Carmen!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 5th Apr, '12, 23:11

avatarless wrote:Don't forget to look for Carmen!
I'm sure there are plenty or Carmens there... so close to Mexico :)

skank-la

Post by skank-la » 6th Apr, '12, 00:38

Today would be a fun day to be in San Diego its opening day for Major League Baseball

San Diego Padres hosting the LA Dodgers this afternoon. Plenty of Dodger fans will make the trek to SD today for the game. High energy day in the Gaslamp District where the stadium is cheek to jowl w/restaurants, pubs etc

Wish I could go

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 6th Apr, '12, 09:34

Sounds like a good plan, Nev. Have fun!