Favorite nearby trips??

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Favorite nearby trips??

Post by slinky » 2nd May, '12, 10:25

The in-laws are coming for Christmas and now that I look at the calendar, I think they will be here for nearly 3 weeks ( :o ). We will definitely want to take a trip fairly close by for 5-6 days or so while they are here & I may even throw in a weekend on Bintan just to mix things up a bit. I was hoping for Halong Bay in Vietnam, but have now figured out that Dec/Jan is NOT the time to go there due to rain and cold-ish temperatures, so I need to come up with something else. For whatever reason, when I looked at flights to Ho Chi Min or Da Nang the prices are outrageous in Dec, so it must be a popular time of year to go there.

Anyhow, the thoughts I have so far are:
Hua Hin in Thailand with a few days in Bangkok as well
Borneo around Kota Kinabalu (no, no plans to actually hike it with this crew....)
Chaing Mai
Bali is always a possibility as well

2 questions for all of you -- 1) what are your thoughts on the places I've listed and 2) what are your favorite short hops in the region?

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Re: Favorite nearby trips??

Post by Tas » 2nd May, '12, 11:38

I haven't done Chiang Mai, but have regularly heard good things about trips that included cooking lessons and lovely walks, and seem to recall costs of travel/accom were still pretty reasonable(?). That's on my list :)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 2nd May, '12, 17:54

I've not been to any of those unfortunately. Would they want to see things or just laze about on the beach.

Langkawi for beach trip, though it can be strangely pricey.

If you don't want beaches, Come and see me in Penang, heh heh. Georgetown heritage site...lots of nice buildings (watch out for bag snatchers though. One found me recently). Straits Quay is really nice, a bit Singaporean style, and doesn't seem like Malaysia somehow. Gurney Drive still nice I reckon. Don't bother with Batu Ferringhi. Botanic Garden is fab. Penang Hill now has upgraded trains up there, and there's a nice eatery at the top.

December should be good weather for both the above. We only get the south-west monsoon which is now-ish.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 3rd May, '12, 00:42

Slinky, I think that all of your ideas are good. I would throw in Siem Reap (Ankor Watt).
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 3rd May, '12, 07:18

Thanks, everyone. Sluggo, the reason Siem Reap isn't on the list is we just went last month & my in laws went the last time they were here. Dino, I like Langkawi, but we were there last Christmas. You're right on the 'strangely pricey' bit - the hotel food was good, but pretty expensive in particular.

Any more suggestions welcome :)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 3rd May, '12, 07:39

If money is not a problem (if you don't mind the parents spending your inheritance) then have a dig through the Orient Express things - Bangkok-Singapore on railway, river cruise in Burma, and I'm sure there's more.

Cruise between various asian ports.

Lombok - a muslim Bali
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 3rd May, '12, 07:55

Surely load them up week passes to the zoo, bird park, science museum and universal studios, hand them he kids then run way for a week
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 3rd May, '12, 17:40

baloo wrote:Surely load them up week passes to the zoo, bird park, science museum and universal studios, hand them he kids then run way for a week
I think I'd have to run away by myself then, because I think the MIL would freak out if Mr. S wasn't here to visit with her. Man, he'd probably get the guilt trip of the century regardless of how happy she'd be to spend the time with the small slinkies :lol:

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 3rd May, '12, 17:54

Another alternative is

Sanya, Hainan Island in China

Something different ... great beaches and seafood

Beach Sanya

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 4th May, '12, 12:17

Myanmar: Bagan (and do the sunrise hot air balloon thing) and then take a cruise up the Irrawaddy from Bagan to Mandalay (or do it the other way round). I did it at Xmas/NYE time this year and it was one of the best trips I have taken (to be fair, its been on the list for a while now but just never had the time). The Orient Express is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive but looks fab - it was fully booked so we did the much more reasonable Paukan one and it was still super good, quite luxurious boat etc. If you want beach go Ngapali - fab.

Laos - Vientiane, Luang Phrabang, and Plain of Jars type area is fab (avoid Vang Vieng - shame it was beautiful back in 2000 but now apparently overrun with unwashed backpacker types.

Cambo - SR if you havent done it yet, then get yourself to Kep (via PP) for fab beach time at the Sailing Club there.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th May, '12, 13:25

JJ, favorite trips of mine, too! Myanmar - Bagan/Mandalay was wonderful beyond expectations. Luang Prabang I've been many times and always love the easy-going ambiance of the place, Phonsavahn/Plain of Jars is surreal.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 4th May, '12, 16:05

Perth?

You can come round to ours for a Barbie ;)

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 4th May, '12, 16:10

If it were just the 4 of us, I'd take you up on it, Scrummy! However, we did Perth with the inlaws about 3 years ago - MIL doesn't like to repeat places she's been.

Orient Express does look cool, but yes, it IS pricey :o

I've heard many great things about Burma - may need to dig into that one a bit more.

Nice looking beach, EPY! I think Mr. S has been to Hainan -- I'll check into that.

Thanks all :)

sluggo
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 5th May, '12, 00:02

Slinky, If you do Burma I have the most wonderful guide to recommend. He made our trip there in 2009 absolutely wonderful. Burma is a great destination but a little more difficult because you have to pay for everything (I mean everything) in cash. You have to take very clean (no marks or wrinkles) US dollars as there are no ATMs and they are not allowed to take credit cards. That may be changing with the improved relations with the US. I would highly recommend Burma. It was one of our favorite trips we took while living in Singapore. to If you go you must use our guide.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 5th May, '12, 00:46

Chiang Mai is lovely - I spent a few days there - did some cooking classes. You can do elephant rides / day, 2day trekking out of there (trekking may be a bit crazy with kids/ inlaws though). Lots of temples to see etc.....It also is nowhere near as crazy busy as Bangkok, not even close so it's quite pleasant to be in / walk around :)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 5th May, '12, 02:13

Ngpali Beach -Burma one of my hidden treasures
1st went in 1974 -managed to get back twice
Hope its still a hidden treasure
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 7th May, '12, 17:38

Borobudur Temple, Prambanan Temple, and nearbly Yogyakarta (there's a direct flight from Singapore). Not a beach destination, though. Yogyakarta's royal palace (Kraton) is still occupied by one of the last two royal families left in Indonesia, quite fascinating. Malioboro is great for shopping: hand-painted batik (batik tulis) for under $50 (I saw one in Tanglin Mall priced at $900!) and handicrafts. Museum Affandi is also great, he's one of Indonesia's best known artists.
Nearby Dieng Plateau is also worth a visit for the fresh mountain air and Dieng Temple.

Edit: I just saw they're coming for Christmas :shock: I must warn you that Dec is the rainy season in most of Southeast Asia... if you want dry and sunny destinations, try Phuket, Krabi, Penang, Langkawi.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 8th May, '12, 15:08

Slinky - shout if you want my detailed itinerary on Myanmar with contact details for hotels, agents, etc etc etc. I booked it super last minute 2 days before Xmas last year, and it all came together pretty well. As someone else pointed out you cant pay for anything by CC, and actually some of the hotels, the hotair ballooning and the cruise prefer you to transfer to a Singapore bank account offshore prior to travelling.

JaniceM
Limp Member
Mood: Fine

Post by JaniceM » 29th Jan, '13, 20:38

Langkawi for me!

iniz.shalihin
Lurker
Mood: Better

Post by iniz.shalihin » 1st Feb, '13, 15:02

Malaysia would be a good trip!!

BugatiX17
Lurker
Mood: Frustrated

Post by BugatiX17 » 26th Mar, '13, 16:37

Taiwan is the place to go. Although I can't understand a single thing people are saying..the food is amazing! 8-)
Life is too short to be sat in a slow pumpkin. - Cinderella.

jessang
Lurker
Mood: Great!

Post by jessang » 25th May, '13, 02:18

Krabi for island/ beach holiday
Penang/ KL for food trip
Bangkok for shopping
Vietnam- sightseeing on a dime