Taipei for a day or two

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Taipei for a day or two

Post by Sardonicus » 1st Jul, '13, 06:32

What would you do in Taipei for one or two days, or would you not bother?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Re: Taipei for a day or two

Post by nev » 2nd Jul, '13, 10:09

Eat. Taipei is famous for its street food. Never been, so don't take my word for it.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 3rd Jul, '13, 19:10

Taipei 101 of course, CKS memorial and there was one shrine where I can't remember the name

Queenie
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Queenie » 3rd Jul, '13, 21:25

If you're into art, the National Palace Museum is a must. It has the world's finest Chinese Art collection bar none. Mostly 'looted" from China by General Chiang and gang. I could spend a day there and not be bored.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 3rd Jul, '13, 23:08

Thanks so far - any hotel suggestions?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 5th Jul, '13, 00:56

Apparently Carnegie's is er, interesting...early on to eat, later on girls dancing on bars...something like that. Not my recommendation, but Mr PP has been there...why does that not surprise me? I will await any further input from him on things to see that do not include bars. Do not hold your breath. ;)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 5th Jul, '13, 08:25

Lived in Taipei for 9 years in the late 80's early 90's so when I return touching base w friends always is what its about but Taipei is a great wonderous vibrant city.

Great Street Markets, Large Bar Scene + after hours till dawn club scene, museums, 1000's of interesting themes beer halls & coffee shops. They had Starbucks like independent coffee shops in Japan & Taiwan long before the USA where people while away the hours reading, drinking coffee & eating whatever the specialty of the house is.

On the outskirts of Taipei in the mountains there are hundreds of hot springs 'wild chicken' restaurants
Usually you get a table/hut & proceed to eat & drink & go to the baths as well. The food can be deer bar-b-que etc. On weekends there are usually bands. Nothing I've done anywhere else matches the Taipei hot springs bar-b-que party scene it is great fun.

Should you go to Taipei ABSOLUTELY. Hope you're able to scratch the surface.

Let us know how it went
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!