traffic jam Chinese style...

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

traffic jam Chinese style...

Post by Morrolan » 25th Aug, '10, 13:24

CHINA'S ten day old traffic jam now stretches 100 kilometres and could last another three weeks.
Triggered by road construction, the snarl-up began 10 days ago and is 100km long at one point. Reaching almost to the outskirts of Beijing, traffic still creeps along in fits and starts, and the crisis could last for another three weeks, authorities say.

The immediate cause of the traffic jam that began on August 14 is construction on one of three southbound highways feeding into Beijing.
bloody hell, and i thought the 20 minutes this morning was long...

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Re: traffic jam Chinese style...

Post by Tas » 25th Aug, '10, 13:35

will ask colleagues. I think it is the same road I was stuck on for several hours heading north in May - when it then started snowing and sleeting as well - and I had a minor freak out when I realised we were on an over pass of a major valley, and hundreds overloaded trucks accumulated on the same pass - the guys chuckled - but I noted them have a little frown as well!. Have been watching the coal power stations pop up along that highway for several years. Used to be far worse if you can believe - luckily phone reception ok and spent several hours talking to friends/colleagues killing time jammed up on that highway 8+hr! We had the longest record for this year at +6hr. Trying to think what the longest is, 11+hr sounds familar
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Aug, '10, 13:59

i was driven from Nanjing to Shanghai a few years back and it was a rather disconcerting event. i think we managed to keep the number of near miss, certainly fatal incidents, involving hugely overloaded trucks thundering past foraging pigs and playing children, at 100kph below 5, but i'm not sure i remember too clearly... :shock:
Last edited by Morrolan on 25th Aug, '10, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 25th Aug, '10, 14:39

I loved it (NOT) when the taxi driver got really upset as someone else was cutting him and he started tailgaiting at 100+ (speedo wasn't working). Passenger safety is apparently not paramount to Chinese taxi drivers

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 25th Aug, '10, 19:17

That's a lot of people with the potential for road rage!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 26th Aug, '10, 09:49

Apparently it miraculously cleared out over night [smilie=quoi.gif] What do you suppose was the cause of the miracle?
Story Here

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 30th Aug, '10, 08:36

not cleared!
no coal trucks getting/allowed through!! just think what that means for manufacturing...
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg