Up in the air

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Up in the air

Post by daffodil » 16th Jan, '10, 10:22

Ryan Binghm, played by George Clooney plays a "career transition counsellor" hired by companies that lack the balls to fire their employees personally. He travels across the US , spending most of his life on a plane, living out of hotels, avoiding personal relationships and staunchly defending his superficial lifestyle. His main goal in life is making the 10 million airmiles club on American Airlines - a notably smaller group than the those that have walked on the moon.

Enter two women - one who memorably describes herself as another version of Bingham with a vagina and a young new hire to the company who has come up with a cost saving plan to fire employees remotely via videconference. Both have a impact on Bingham in different ways.

Whilst billed as a comedy, it's also a commentary of the current economic and social climate and has some truly emotional scenes - particualrly as some of the individuals shown in the firing scenes are not actors but real people that have been fired.

I really enjoyed the movie though I should warn that there's not a CGI / alien / car chase in evidence :D

4.5 / 5.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Up in the air

Post by baloo » 16th Jan, '10, 10:26

Yeah, not a bad movie. Interesting to see Clooney play a role where he's the vulnerable one.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.