Stones in Exile

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Stones in Exile

Post by skank-la » 30th Jun, '10, 05:13

Frequently fascinating and exceptional rock-documentary on the Rolling Stones circa 1971-1972 when, in the midst of managerial and tax issues, the group left their native UK for the South of France to record their next album, "Exile on Main Street". The record (the band's first double-album) is a now-legendary mix of rock, blues, and country-&-western, tempered with Mick Jagger's passionate vocals and Keith Richards' astounding lead guitar. The narrative isn't streamlined for coherency, and a North American tour (represented here by live concert footage shot in Nashville) seems to appear out of nowhere (indeed, it is followed by a trip to Los Angeles where more recording is done). The record was trashed by most rock critics upon release, however the caveat that "Exile" is now considered the Stones' masterpiece is too easily delivered (we are not told how long it actually took for the music to garner such a reputation). Aside from a vintage Kasey Casem radio broadcast, we don't even know how well the album did financially. Still, flaws aside, this is a very well-made film on the making of an emotionally-charged musical document, and the recording process--its gestation and behind-the-scenes turmoil--will be hypnotic to most music fans.

Loved it...Images/film/sounds of an era when rock music was much more influential than today
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!