The Rum Diary

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

The Rum Diary

Post by Sardonicus » 21st Nov, '11, 21:23

Not having read the book one has to wonder how close this was to the Thompson book, which I understand was an early one. It was good to see 1960s Puerto Rico, but every now and again some things looked out of time, like clothes and cars.

Not a bad diversion, not the best nor worst of movies.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: The Rum Diary

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 21st Nov, '11, 21:34

I'm curious, I like Johnny Depp and think Hunter S. was an interesting figure. I liked Fear and Loathing, both the book and the movie, but like you, Sardy, I haven't read this one either.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 21st Nov, '11, 21:38

Thompson has got to be a hard act to get down on camera without looking like a overblown caricature. Apparently Deep is a true devote, where in this new movie he didn't want to upstage him.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 21st Nov, '11, 21:59

I saw him speak in NYC around 1985 or so and was disappointed because he was incoherent. Johnny Depp had the mannerisms down, as far as what I saw that day, though - the guy was a balled up knot of rubber bands. Fear and Loathing, there were moments in that book when I had to put it down and cry for laughing so hard, and I think the movie got the madcap moments well, but I've always wondered how intimidating it must be for an actor to portray someone who is either living or well-documented in celluloid enough for people to have very vivid mental images. Hats off to Johnny Depp for impressing a man who might otherwise have shot his face off with a hunting rifle.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 22nd Nov, '11, 10:39

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Fear and Loathing, there were moments in that book when I had to put it down and cry for laughing so hard, and I think the movie got the madcap moments well...
You've got me thinking of the scene in the movie where their coke gets blown away while driving in the convertible:

"Did you see what gaaaawd did to us?!" :lol:

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 22nd Nov, '11, 10:43

hmmm lent my double feature dvd with Blow and F&LiLV to the neighbour, definitely need to get it back now and settle for an evening with it and a tequila or two, not watched in years.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 22nd Nov, '11, 10:47

slinky wrote:
Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Fear and Loathing, there were moments in that book when I had to put it down and cry for laughing so hard, and I think the movie got the madcap moments well...
You've got me thinking of the scene in the movie where their coke gets blown away while driving in the convertible:

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

My favorite part of the book was when his Samoan attorney was naked, tripping his face off in the bath and told Hunter S to throw the radio in the tub, so while the attorney had his eyes closed Hunter S takes one of the grapefruits from the crate and SLAMS it in the water, with that crazy Samoan thrashing around screaming, thinking he's being electrocuted. I'm hard pressed to think of a piece of writing that has had me so hysterical with laughter as that one.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 22nd Nov, '11, 10:49

Here you go -- my quote was a bit off:

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 22nd Nov, '11, 11:42

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:
slinky wrote:

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

My favorite part of the book was when his Samoan attorney was naked, tripping his face off in the bath and told Hunter S to throw the radio in the tub, so while the attorney had his eyes closed Hunter S takes one of the grapefruits from the crate and SLAMS it in the water, with that crazy Samoan thrashing around screaming, thinking he's being electrocuted. I'm hard pressed to think of a piece of writing that has had me so hysterical with laughter as that one.
In terms of writing, there's a scene in one of Tom Sharpes books where the guy is dressed up in a rubber suit, while I think he's been kidnapped by a fearsome woman where he's been shot up in the penile department with novocaine, and tries to escape out of a window (it think) and gets stuck. I read it couple decades back, cant remember the specific book, think was an african based one, but it has stuck in my mind forever as one of most ridiculous funny scenes remember reading.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 22nd Nov, '11, 13:29

Tas, that sounds very promising... :lol:

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 22nd Nov, '11, 13:41

Read Fear & Loathing in LV years ago and just didn't get it / HST at all, hence haven't seen the movies.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 22nd Nov, '11, 13:56

I've seen The Rum Diary and I didn't get it. Way too long and the ending left me baffled.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 22nd Nov, '11, 14:43

I will be the first person to agree that HST is not everyone's cup of tea. I've seen more than a few articles he's written that I can't even get through.