MacRitchie Reservoir info request

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

MacRitchie Reservoir info request

Post by Beesknees » 7th Oct, '10, 15:02

I'm feeling desperately in need of some nature so thought I'd go to MacRitchie this weekend for a long walk. Can anyone suggest where the taxi should drop us off and then where we'd manage to get a taxi again when we're finished so that we don't have to go back the same way? Last time we went out to the wilderness (Poison Ivy cafe) we almost had to hitch a lift back.

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: MacRitchie Reservoir info request

Post by Beesknees » 8th Oct, '10, 08:55

Bump!

Does nobody go walking at MacRitchie reservoir?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 8th Oct, '10, 09:06

Yes, but we drive there.

Last time you were stranded did you call a taxi? In the absence of better suggestions I'd get them to drop you at the car park and call a taxi to collect you from there - I think there's only one car park.

Alternatively, go to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and you can walk down to the main road easily if necessary! Thinking of taking Mini there on Sat morning so may see you if you go.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 8th Oct, '10, 09:17

Last time we went, we lived in Toa Payoh so did it all by bus. The main entrance is at Lornie Rd. Where you end up depends on which trails you take. Scrummy's got the right idea about calling a cab for pick up when you're out.

Bukit Timah is loads of fun, too.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 8th Oct, '10, 10:24

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Bukit Timah is loads of fun, too.
And also great exercise.

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 8th Oct, '10, 14:09

OK thanks. Maybe because it's more central taxis will come and pick us up there so that's good. Scrummy - oop north we managed to get on a bus which eventually took us to the train station up there (the taxis just wouldn't come to pick us up.)

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 10th Oct, '10, 12:29

So LVS and I were in Upper Bukit Timah on Tuesday and I saw the signs for BT nature reserve and thought "Oooh, should go back there again." I don't think we've been since our first year in Singapore.

Scummy Daddy flew back from India overnight on Friday so I thought I'd take Mini for a walk up it on Saturday morning.

Gawd, I'd forgotten how steep that hill is, especially pushing 23kg of toddler and pram up it. I think I'd have had a heart attack doing that a few months ago.

Coming down was pretty scary, and I tied the pram to my wrist as I figured if I tripped over and let go he'd beat the land speed record by the time he got to the bottom.

Good exercise though, although I imagine my calves now resemble those of East German shot-putters!

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 10th Oct, '10, 12:54

Oh, ditch the pram, Sister! Unless he's pushing you. :D
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 10th Oct, '10, 12:56

Aliya used to be the queen of Macritchie, she should have good info about the area.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 10th Oct, '10, 21:44

I just read somewhere that the monkeys are getting more aggressive there.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Oct, '10, 22:25

Their queen left the area.....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 11th Oct, '10, 05:12

Ha. Bloody monkeys!

McRitchie is on a very main road, Upper Thomson Road so I would get a taxi to drop you off and then just wave one down outside the carpark, lots of taxis around.

McR monkeys used to be great - I lived there for 4 years and never had a problem but recently when MrA and the Alets went there for a walk we were almost set upon by so would be a good idea to take a walking stick with you. Having said that we had the dogs with us and monkeys dont like dogs.

McR is a fab place to walk, you can walk around it on the trails or on the board walks. You can now kayak on it (dont fall in there are freakin huge Loahan (sp) fish in there. I just about lost a foot when I had to swim out to rescue Bibi MsD's black lab once. You can also do the tree top walk, google to find the entrance, I never did it but heard it was wonderful. YOu can also walk through McR to the Bukit Timah park, if you look at a map you will see trails. You go past streams, quarries, small hills etc quite varied. About a 4 hour hike from memory but really great. I think it is the best place to live close to or even just visit.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 11th Oct, '10, 09:50

Aliya - thanks for all that info. We didn't go this weekend as it was too sunny and hot on Saturday and...we were too lazy on Sunday, so now plan to go, armed with all this info (and stick!) next weekend.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 11th Oct, '10, 11:10

One of the nice things about Macritchie is that most of the trail (apart from the bit by the golf course ) is shaded, so it's not too bad even on sunny days. It's about 11k round the whole reservoir if you go on the trails and a bit further if you take the board walks. So about 2 hours walking. If you want a shorter walk, I'd suggest just walking left or right from the main car park taking the boardwalks and then coming back on the jungle trails. If you go left you can also detour to the tree top walk - which is nice
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 11th Oct, '10, 11:25

hmmm, might have to try it now that I live in the area.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 11th Oct, '10, 11:37

Baloo, prams/stollers in most places, can.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 11th Oct, '10, 11:48

I was actually contemplating letting BBII run off to join a tribe of monkeys.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 11th Oct, '10, 11:59

Hmmm is this fair on the monkeys?