PR blues

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

PR blues

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 28th Aug, '12, 10:45

Has anybody heard any recent talk about changes to PR approval policy?

I have been waiting an eternity to hear back. I applied in Jan of this year. They contacted me once in March, again in June, to supply further info. I just read on another forum that the process can now take up to 15 months? Please, someone, say it ain't so.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: PR blues

Post by slinky » 28th Aug, '12, 10:58

I would think as the mother of a little Singaporean, you'd be a shoo-in. I can't offer any comment or advice other than that. Good luck - hope you hear positive news ASAP.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 28th Aug, '12, 11:31

Thanks, Hon. I know I'm grasping at straws here. I just wish there was some glimmer of hope that I can find something out soon. grrr...
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 28th Aug, '12, 12:38

In my experience it's all based on what PM Lee or SM Lee have said recently.

If the last they said was "Singapore needs more FT" then PR applications are relatively fast.
If instead it was appeasing to the masses who are up in arms of Mainland Chinese and others coming to Singapore and "taking over" with their bad manners and uncouth ways, then the process approval can take ages. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they just randomly reject applications. I know people who were rejected, with no reason given, who re-submitted straight after and got approved.

Sorry it's no help but I'm with Slinky. Married to a SG, mother of a SG, you should be fine.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Aug, '12, 13:48

It's possible that a genuine enquiry into the status of your PR application may give some results. Though you may get a email/phone reply saying "please wait, being processed" it may make someone look at why it's taken so long for a decision to be made.

There again, it may not!

You can phone up or email and ask.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Aug, '12, 13:53

Oh, how long before you can apply for renewal of your Re-entry Permit? Do ICA send you a reminder letter?

Probably should get a new passport before I do. Hmmm....that's a pain now with UK passports.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 28th Aug, '12, 14:12

I've been checking the ICA site daily, you can look up the status of your application using your SingPass.

FB, I like your idea, it guess it can't hurt to send a polite enquiry, can it?

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 28th Aug, '12, 22:48

Fat Bob wrote:Probably should get a new passport before I do. Hmmm....that's a pain now with UK passports.
Just to let you know FB , I actually applied for a second passport due to the long processing times of the Uk passport.

It was approved without any problem .

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 29th Aug, '12, 02:12

Even if you don't get it, there is now an LTSVP+ that has much the same benefits. You just need to be married to a Singaporean and have children

NEW LONG-TERM VISIT PASS SCHEME (LTVP+)

01-Mar-2012 filed under Press Releases
From 1 April 2012, the Government will introduce a new scheme to help Singaporean families with foreign spouses. This new scheme, known as the Long-Term Visit Pass-Plus (or LTVP+), will provide foreign spouses of Singapore citizens who qualify, with greater certainty of stay here by granting the holder a longer period of residency. LTVP+ holders will also be eligible for healthcare and employment benefits.

2. Couples who have at least one Singaporean child from their marriage will be eligible to apply for the LTVP+. For those without a Singapore Citizen child, ICA will look at other factors such as the duration of marriage, and will in general consider more favourably those who have been married for at least three years.

3. LTVP+ holders will be eligible for a longer period of residency in Singapore. The LTVP+ will be for a duration of three years in the first instance and will be for up to five years for each subsequent renewal. LTVP+ holders will enjoy healthcare subsidies for inpatient services at restructured hospitals, which will currently be set at a level close to that for Permanent Residents. In addition, we will make it easier for LTVP+ holders to seek work here. Their prospective employer will apply to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) for a Letter of Consent (LOC), instead of an Employment/S Pass or Work Permit, for them. LTVP+ holders who are issued with LOCs will not be counted against the foreign worker quota of their employers. Their employers are also not required to pay foreign workers’ levy for them.

4. The new LTVP+ scheme seeks to provide more assistance to Singapore families with foreign spouses. The number of marriages between Singapore citizens and foreigners has been on an increasing trend. In 2010, among the 20,273 marriages involving at least one Singapore citizen, 30 per cent were between a Singapore citizen and a foreigner (excluding Permanent Residents). This is an increase from 23 per cent in 2000.

5. Foreign spouses can continue to apply for Singapore Citizenship or Permanent Residence (PR) status. They will be granted SC or PR if they meet the respective criteria. Those who are not yet eligible for SC or PR can apply for LTVP. With effect from 1 April 2012, they can also apply for an LTVP+ status which comes with more benefits.

6. For more information on the LTVP+ scheme, please visit the ICA website at www.ica.gov.sg. You can also email ICA at: ICA_Visit_Pass@ica.gov.sg.
We are the TPF

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Aug, '12, 07:06

Thanks BoD. Staying in Singapore legally isn't my problem, I'm currently on an EntrePass with my own business. But there are certain benefits to PR that I'd really like to have, but if I don't get it, I'll just continue on my EP. It's just that, at this point in time, PR would simplify my life a bit.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 29th Aug, '12, 15:54

BoD - Thanks for posting that, that's an interesting new residency status here that I didn't know about.

Lili - They're probably just getting your pre-approved citizenship invitation ready for you.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 29th Aug, '12, 21:47

i'm curious: what happens if a PR wants to retire in Singapore?
is PR status dependent upon being employed?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 29th Aug, '12, 21:52

No, PR is for life unless you area Malaysian sia pilot calling for strikes.

But the re-entry permit needs to be renewed every 5 or 10 years. Without a re-entry permit, you can leave Singapore but no comes back

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Aug, '12, 22:25

T2K wrote:Lili - They're probably just getting your pre-approved citizenship invitation ready for you.
joy ...

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 29th Aug, '12, 22:37

baloo wrote:No, PR is for life unless you area Malaysian sia pilot calling for strikes.

But the re-entry permit needs to be renewed every 5 or 10 years. Without a re-entry permit, you can leave Singapore but no comes back
To renew the re-entry permit, you must be employed in Singapore.

FurBaby

Post by FurBaby » 29th Aug, '12, 22:45

so then once you retire, when your re-entry permit expires, you can never leave Singapore else they won't let you back in?
nev wrote:
baloo wrote:No, PR is for life unless you area Malaysian sia pilot calling for strikes.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Aug, '12, 23:12

FurBaby wrote:so then once you retire, when your re-entry permit expires, you can never leave Singapore else they won't let you back in?
They may let you have further re-entry permits depending on individual circumstances.

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 30th Aug, '12, 01:44

nev wrote:

I don't know if that's the case .... I was told by ,the auntie that served me when I first got my PR ,that once you reach a certain age they will just renew without any employment .

I know some of the members of this board have applied for citizenship in singapore
but I don't know what their current position is

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 30th Aug, '12, 01:47

This is from our board member SMS qouted from another forum

If you are over 50 you do not need a job to renew your REP
If you are on a family ties PR you also do not need a job to renew your REP.

If you obtained you PR on the technical/education scheme and are under 50 then yes you need a job. Also, it may be difficult getting a 10 year renewal if you are on the technical scheme but it's very easy (just ask for it) if you are here on the family ties scheme.

sms

FurBaby

Post by FurBaby » 30th Aug, '12, 08:56

aha ...

seems odd to me that there isn't some FAQ list on the ICA website with all this info? i'm sure these questions are very often asked.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 30th Aug, '12, 09:36

FurBaby wrote:aha ...

seems odd to me that there isn't some FAQ list on the ICA website with all this info? i'm sure these questions are very often asked.
If they did that then they couldn't decide on a whim or react to the latest news headlines.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Sep, '12, 09:16

Just to update, I did call ICA and I spoke to someone who checked out my case and said that it's normal for processing time now to take between 6 months to one year, and that I just need to be patient a little while longer. So I'm hoping that the application that took 15 months to process was just an odd case.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Sep, '12, 16:32

My friend just got approved in 2-3 months.

Poppy Appeal

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 8th Sep, '12, 10:23

Fat Bob wrote:My friend just got approved in 2-3 months.
I'm sure that will really cheer up Lilli :roll:

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 8th Sep, '12, 14:03

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Just to update, I did call ICA and I spoke to someone who checked out my case and said that it's normal for processing time now to take between 6 months to one year, and that I just need to be patient a little while longer. So I'm hoping that the application that took 15 months to process was just an odd case.
I applied for my second PR last year or the year before on similar grounds and it also took a while but was eventually approved without any problem.