Colds - helf all you mothers!!

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Colds - helf all you mothers!!

Post by Aliya » 17th Jun, '08, 14:53

MsA has a cold, slight fever, not bad, runny snuffly nose, sneezing and a bit of a cough. Her runny nose was clear but is now going a bit of whitey colour. She is still being really active but not that hungry as from today and is quite tearful, needing lots of cuddles esp at night.

I am monitoring her and at the moment am giving her panadol for fever, lots of water and a bit of Prospan which is an ivy leaf extract that my paed says is great for stopping coughs settling on chests as she does sometimes get bronchitis. At this point it hasnt got to her chest. At night Vicks on her feet and chest and eucaplytus oil in her bath and vapouriser in her bedroom.

She hasnt been sick since she was about 6 months old (White Collar Boxing night, sigh) but I was an asthmatic child who got lots of colds so tend to get quite nervous when she is crook.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing the right thing or add any suggestions? She has been going for her walks everyday as usual cos fresh air is good for her, not molly coddling her but you know, first baby, bit nervous that I am doing something wrong, yada yads.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Re: Colds - helf all you mothers!!

Post by cromasaig » 17th Jun, '08, 14:58

Can't think of anything else. I put a couple of drops of Olbas Oil on a handkerchief and put it between the sheet and the mattress to help hem breathe.

Just one thing. Vicks on her feet? [smilie=oo.gif]

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 17th Jun, '08, 15:00

Sounds like you're doing fine.

:)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Jun, '08, 15:01

I don't know, Aliya, it sounds like you have all the bases covered. Can try chicken soup too! At least chicken broth to help give her a little strength if she isn't eating solids. Poor thing - hope she gets well soon!

ps - yeah, I'm curious about the Vicks on the feet too!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Tack

Post by Tack » 17th Jun, '08, 15:07

Probably a Kiwi thing. Their cricketers don't know which way is up at the moment either!

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 17th Jun, '08, 15:10

Next question - Panadol for babies or Calpol - is there a difference?

Oh yeah vicks on their feet, apparently the pores on the feet absorb vicks best that way - my mum told me so it must be true.

Tack, at least we are still thrashing England at Rubgy [smilie=rotflmao.gif]
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Tack

Post by Tack » 17th Jun, '08, 15:12

Have a look at ingredients A

Only when it doesn't count :P

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 17th Jun, '08, 15:30

What are the better ones?????? Both say for colds and fever - is either better than the other?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 17th Jun, '08, 15:31

ah, this thread has reminded me...

I got the first "Help, come home, BBIII has hurt himself and is bleeding everywhere" call last night. The story of split lips, broken noses etc didn't gel with the babbling contented baby noises in the background.

Anyway, got home an sure enough BBII has a big fat lip, swollen nose and cuts/scratches on his face. I was quite proud of the lad. he managed a full on face plant landing face first into a concrete wall without losing any teeth.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 17th Jun, '08, 15:35

My mother used to slather me in Vicks (and I have a tub right now, as it's kinder on my skin when I have sinus problems than Tiger Balm, although not as effective) but I've never heard of putting it on the feet. I thought the idea was the child breathes it in; if so the chest should be all that is necessary.

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 17th Jun, '08, 15:39

baloo wrote:ah, this thread has reminded me...

I got the first "Help, come home, BBIII has hurt himself and is bleeding everywhere" call last night. The story of split lips, broken noses etc didn't gel with the babbling contented baby noises in the background.

Anyway, got home an sure enough BBII has a big fat lip, swollen nose and cuts/scratches on his face. I was quite proud of the lad. he managed a full on face plant landing face first into a concrete wall without losing any teeth.
Well done BBIII - good effort...

[smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=party0011.gif]
Life's too short...

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 17th Jun, '08, 15:47

:o

Are the photos up yet?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 17th Jun, '08, 15:52

Nah, tonight if I get time. It was tough getting a good looking photo of the damage because he's been trained to smile whenever he sees a camera pointing his way. That must be the japanese half of him coming out.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 17th Jun, '08, 15:56

Wait 'til he starts the Peace sign.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Jun, '08, 17:52

I reckon she's just getting the flake excuse in nice and early.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 17th Jun, '08, 18:29

i'd suggest not too quick with the Panadol as fever is the body's way of fighting viruses (viri?) and infections, an increased body temperature will kill many foreign bodies that thrive in 37C. baby's often have very high fevers without any problems; the doctor at Children's Hospital told us not to worry until the fever got to 41C.

it's not the fever that is cause for concern, but what is causing it.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 17th Jun, '08, 18:34

Sounds like you have everything under control and all bases covered. Just keep an eye out for rashes and bob's your uncle. I have a really good book somewhere that covers all childhood illnesses with some really useful flow charts...will dig it out
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 17th Jun, '08, 18:36

Its another Dorling Kindersley...The British Medical Association CHILDREN"S SYMPTOMS
It is a total "must have"
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 17th Jun, '08, 20:53

Morrolan wrote:i'd suggest not too quick with the Panadol as fever is the body's way of fighting viruses (viri?) and infections, an increased body temperature will kill many foreign bodies that thrive in 37C. baby's often have very high fevers without any problems; the doctor at Children's Hospital told us not to worry until the fever got to 41C.

it's not the fever that is cause for concern, but what is causing it.
I was always told that the fever was also a problem, but better to get it down with cool sponges etc rather than medicines.
I wouldn't suggest letting her sleep in air con though.

edit: Having said that - babies get colds and she'll get plenty more. It's just heart wrenching, because when they're so tiny their breathing tubes seem to get clogged up so easily and it's hard to watch. She'll come right, with you watching her so closely. I reckon your instincts as a mother are usually spot on. I can remember my mother fighting tooth and nail with the doctor because she wanted my sister admitted to hospital. The doctor said she was just panicking, but my parents ignored him and it turned out my sister had Maningitis....Menigitis. ( Maningitis is what I've got.) So go with your gut. 9 times out of 10 you'll be right.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 18th Jun, '08, 07:50

Aliya wrote:Oh yeah vicks on their feet, apparently the pores on the feet absorb vicks best that way - my mum told me so it must be true.
eh?

please correct me if i'm wrong but:

1. there's nothing to absorb when it comes to Vicks, just the vapours that help open up the airways
2. pores don't absorb anything, they extrude. if pores would absorb, you'd fill up with water every time you take a bath or go swimming.

so putting it on feet sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

oh, and of course you use Baby Vicks, not normal Vicks?

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 18th Jun, '08, 08:25

You can absorb stuff through the skin, but not through pores. Any molecule which is lipophilic is able to be absorbed into cell membranes and then get passed between cells. Heavily keratinised skin will be less able to absorb stuff though. Hydrophilic molecules are kept out. Eucalyptus oil is lipophilic (in Vicks it's dissolved in petroleum gel) so it can pass into the skin. What it does there is anyone's guess. I thought the purpose of vicks was to keep the airways clear when you have a runny nose. My mum rubbed it on my chest.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 18th Jun, '08, 09:02

Burb: Vicks also contains camphor which is potentially dangerous for small children. can that be absorbed?

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 18th Jun, '08, 09:37

I like having Vicks rubbed on my chest.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 18th Jun, '08, 09:39

Morrolan wrote:Burb: Vicks also contains camphor which is potentially dangerous for small children. can that be absorbed?
I presume it is also lipophilic.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 18th Jun, '08, 09:53

Baby vicks.
Most rubbed on chest and a bit under the nose.
Some on feet with socks.
My mum always swore by rubbing it into the feet and there was some medical research on it a while back which appeared to support it.